By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Why is Sony America Kind of taking over the rest of Sony?

mjk45 said:
EricHiggin said:

"Keep your friends close and your enemies closer"

The land of the rising sun has made 'landfall' on American soil...

This is a war. A console war. A war fought on many fronts.

https://www.decluttr.com/blog/2016/03/18/xbox-vs-playstation-xbox-one-ps4/

Your map looks a lot different than the ones on deculttr

The_Liquid_Laser said:
mjk45 said:

Your map looks a lot different than the ones on deculttr

Yeah, I noticed that too.  I think he pulled it from this site.
https://www.pcmag.com/news/mapping-state-by-state-tech-trends-top-us-gaming-platforms

It wasn't meant to be a perfect representation of who holds what 'ground' exactly. It's there to visually tie both console wars and real wars together. 

Console wars are obviously not exactly the same as a real war, but the thought process of making physical 'landfall' on enemy territory, setting up a 'stronghold' base of operations, and using that to 'take more ground', isn't all that different between them.

It's also why I used a map with Switch on it. PS influence in Japan is stagnating at best, even though they still own the true home console market there and are keeping MS at bay. Nin owns the hybrid and handheld market everywhere, with room to grow, so they have no reason to budge due to lack of competition. PS has plenty of reason to push hard into America, which will help to keep their main competition at bay even more so, while expanding PS influence where they can.

Around the Network
Alistair said:
The PS4 is the worse selling Sony home console ever, in Japan. It barely exists in Japan. Like Wii U levels (which did so badly I was the only person I know who bought one, twice as bad as the GC). And if you are doing business in Europe it still makes sense to run it from America as that is where the English is and all the people from different countries can get along (and immigrate missing people also, I know Chinese devs who'd rather get a green card thank you very much than continue in China, why not if you are very skilled).

The fact that PS4 is probably gonna do upwards of around 130 million sold is ESPECIALLY impressive considering that the PS4 won't even come close to selling 20+ million units like the PS2 did in Japan. That's just crazy.

Looks like the Japanese gonna miss out on FFVIIR. Their loss.

Who was in charge when PS3 happened? Maybe that's when they felt US should take the wheel.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:
Who was in charge when PS3 happened? Maybe that's when they felt US should take the wheel.

Who was in charge when PS1 and PS2 happened?

Hunting Season is done...

Zoombael said:

Mr Puggsly said:

Who was in charge when PS1 and PS2 happened?

I would assume Japan. Japanese studios were also much more relevant at that time. The market really changed late in the 6th gen.

But sometimes things go the other way to some degree. Remember when it felt like Sega cared about the west?

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
the-pi-guy said:
EricHiggin said:

It's also why I used a map with Switch on it. PS influence in Japan is stagnating at best, even though they still own the true home console market there and are keeping MS at bay. Nin owns the hybrid and handheld market everywhere, with room to grow, so they have no reason to budge due to lack of competition. PS has plenty of reason to push hard into America, which will help to keep their main competition at bay even more so, while expanding PS influence where they can.

They're just wondering why you shared a link unrelated to the map.

They pointed out the visually represented map and the maps within the link don't match. Which they don't. Both maps aren't covering the exact same thing, and the linked maps are out of date. The linked maps only cover PS and MS, and since the thread is about PS and why they are being lead by the American division, comparing PS to XB, who's home territory is America and is PS main competition, seemed to make the most sense based on my explanation.

Having the map with Switch was helpful in a few ways though as I've already mentioned, showing America is key when it comes to console sales. PS focusing on America to the point they are running the show from there, just makes sense based on their situation and the market, now and in the future.

Azzanation said:
Sony has become more european than Japanese.
In saying that, Sony US is one of the largest markets in the world. Its where the money is.

It seems to me that Sony is becoming more American than anything else.

As for the US being the largest market in the world, kind of true, but on the other hand by that logic all companies across the world should have their headquarters in the US which is not the case.

My point is you can do business in the US but still be in charge of your company in your country of origin.

Now it may be that national interests do not count much for private companies. Sony is a private company and thus they may give power of decision to whoever they want. But power being the drug on which humans are the most hooked on, I'm simply surprised that those Japanese big bosses are ok with lowering their pants in favor of American bosses that at the end of the day are nothing more than their employees. My point here is that I may be the most efficient employee of my company and bring in the biggest business of all employees to my company, my boss will be happy with me but I can't imagine my boss saying that I have all the powers and that I get to decide everything and that he (my boss) will do as I say.

Anyway, thanks folks for your different opinions (exception made of one post that ignorantly presumes to know what research I have made or not made on this topic and on top of this, is incapable of adding their own opinion in their reply, not that I expect such person to have a relevant one)