By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread

This thread has been heating up lately

Around the Network
SpokenTruth said:
My city just reported it's first positive case. He is 83 but it's unknown if it is travel related. 4 others in surrounding counties have also tested positive. 3 of them are known to be travel related. 1 flew in from New York. All 5 of these cases are 57 years old or older.

That's rather curious. I haven't followed the virus as closely as I probably should. Are older people much more susceptible to catching the virus, not just dying from it?

In Australia the government is set to ban gatherings of more than 500. I guess i dont have to go to work because my work building has more than 500 people

TallSilhouette said:
SpokenTruth said:
My city just reported it's first positive case. He is 83 but it's unknown if it is travel related. 4 others in surrounding counties have also tested positive. 3 of them are known to be travel related. 1 flew in from New York. All 5 of these cases are 57 years old or older.

Are older people much more susceptible to catching the virus, not just dying from it?

Yes, and fertility rates for young people are very, very low. Doesn't guarantee that you shouldn't take your cautions, though. Just today two professional footballers in England tested positive. And that's speaking of athletes in top form. 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

SpokenTruth said:
TallSilhouette said:

That's rather curious. I haven't followed the virus as closely as I probably should. Are older people much more susceptible to catching the virus, not just dying from it?

The infection rate does skew higher by age but not nearly as much as the death rate does.  But the latter is more to do with complications from secondary health factors. But why the infection rate itself skews up with age is still not really well understood. The best explanation so far is that younger people are more exposed to a wider range of other coronaviruses and have thus built up some immunity to the this new strain.

A lot of younger people going under the radar because of having strong immunesystems that will make a good amount of them not even consider having the virus.

Around the Network

how do I stop seeing this thread in hot topics?

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Ka-pi96 said:
So... what exactly happened to Europe? Seems pretty crazy that it's spread that fast over there.

Among other things.

NightlyPoe said:
haxxiy said:

Not necessarily, but 90% could have been in the last seven days, and anything before lost in the vague ocean of "respiratory illness". People aren't usually tested for viruses when they die from these, and secondary pneumonia from Covid-19 can easily outlast the viral infection.

You're still talking about tens of thousands that would currently be in the active phase of the infection.  We'd notice that.  Especially since such a breakout would happen in clusters.  Parts of Ohio would already be in crisis.

Besides, the person who made the claim also said it would double every 6 days.  Your estimate of it shooting up 10x in a week would fix the number at double every two days or so.

Using this person's estimate, at least 50,000 would have gotten the virus more than six days ago.  And 25,000 would have been infected back in February.

It might seem a lot, but my estimate is consistent with the viral reproduction index and a putative patient zero in late January. He doesn't have to be right on his other estimates for the initial point to be valid.

Also, active phase of the infection could be literally less than a cold or two days of cough for a lot of people (and that we know for a fact). When was the last time you've been to a hospital because of either?

Of course, I'm not defending the estimate is bang on in the money, just showing a potential lane of how this could behave and how difficult it is for healthcare systems to cope and quantify it, which leaves us with statistical models to gauge the spread of most diseases, not clinical tests.

Schools just got closed in Luxembourg for the next weeks, you have to enter busses at the back to not risk infecting the driver (it's free anyway since this month), and hospitals are asked not to give their personnel holiday leave right now. Family or friend visits in retirement homes are prohibited now, too.

Last edited by Bofferbrauer2 - on 13 March 2020

I am forced to do home office because someone came back from vacation with the virus. Thank you SARS-CoV-2 for guaranteeing multiple days of home office I would otherwise not get.

Things have been so much fun since the virus arrived and it's still getting better.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.