By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread

Leynos said:
how do I stop seeing this thread in hot topics?

Stop the virus?

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
vivster said:
Leynos said:
how do I stop seeing this thread in hot topics?

Stop the virus?

Sometime back I edited something so I stopped seeing the politics thread showing up but I forgot how. I just don't want to see this topic pop up in my hot topics panel.

Last edited by Leynos - on 13 March 2020

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Leynos said:
vivster said:

Stop the virus?

Sometime back I edited something so I stopped seeing the politics thread showing up but I forgot how. I just don't want to see this topic pop up in my hot topics panel.

The easiest way would be to not use hot topics at all. Use "latest topics" like smart people to never miss any new thread ever again.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

TallSilhouette said:
SpokenTruth said:
My city just reported it's first positive case. He is 83 but it's unknown if it is travel related. 4 others in surrounding counties have also tested positive. 3 of them are known to be travel related. 1 flew in from New York. All 5 of these cases are 57 years old or older.

That's rather curious. I haven't followed the virus as closely as I probably should. Are older people much more susceptible to catching the virus, not just dying from it?

Older people are more prone to get sick to severely sick from the virus. Symptoms likely also show earlier in older people, they also die much faster from the disease. Which begs the question, how many other (younger) people are already walking around with mild symptoms, or not presenting symptoms yet when the first case gets detected. Older people are a bit like the canary in the coal mine.

Spring break has been extended to 2 weeks where I am. Not only that, but in-class lectures will switch to online only for 2 weeks when spring break is done. It's crazy how much trouble a virus can create. :(

Edit: I forgot to say that I'm in the US.

Last edited by Mr.GameCrazy - on 13 March 2020

Around the Network
NightlyPoe said:
haxxiy said:

To consider it likely?  Not just theoretically possible?  Honestly, I think we're talking about someone who just irresponsibly pulled a shocking number out of their butt.

And, yes it could just be a cold.  But when we're talking about numbers that high, you would get a higher hit rate on the worst cases.

Fair enough. That sort of idle talk could lead people to become disheartened and not take preventive measures. The last thing we need is hospitals getting overwhelmed because everyone is coming down ill at the same time.

Mr.GameCrazy said:
Spring break has been extended to 2 weeks where I am. Not only that, but in-class lectures will switch to online only for 2 weeks when spring break is done. It's crazy how much trouble a virus can create. :(

I get up this morning, 3K more cases detected over night, death toll now over 5K.

It's typical human all or nothing approach, wait until the last moment then try to catch up. These measures won't stop the virus but the uncontrolled growth we have now needs to be stopped. To average out the (detected) cases a bit, it went from 500 daily to 8,000 daily in the span of 15 days. That's about a growth factor of 1.2x daily. If left unchecked, that's a 3.6x increase (in reported cases) weekly, 12.8x bi-weekly. So in the span of the incubation time, it can already be 12 times worse. Even with all these measures now in place, we will likely still see the fallout of the uncontrolled growth for the next 2 weeks until thing stabilize. Not that it will go to 100K new cases daily in 2 weeks, but without all these measures it likely would have. Then on to 1.3 million new daily cases in 4 weeks.

It would not go this fast if it was a local out break, however since it was allowed to seed all over the world it has a ton of places to grow freely without constraining itself.

It's no different from how credit card companies get you on interest :/

So yes, all the current measures are vitally important not to let this run away into something we can't deal with at all.

Oh well Alaska has his first case, so not safe..

Just found out classes are cancelled in the school district my mom works at. Extending spring break is being considered. :(

Edit: I forgot to say that I'm in the US.

Last edited by Mr.GameCrazy - on 13 March 2020

Some experts are saying the virus could subside in th3 summer and come back in the fall like the 1918 flu.