By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread

John2290 said:
Nautilus said:

So what you want me to do?Live inside my house for 3 months straight?Don't go for groceries, don't go for work, don't go to study?

Have no social life?Live a hermit life for that period when you are 100% sure you are not infected?

Dude, it's easier to die in a car accident than this.Far easier.And that's something that happens every day.I'm not going to live my life just because the world had an outbreak and people panicked, something that seems to happen once every 10 years.

Panicking is the worse thing to happen right now and just makes things worse.

It's not people just panicking, cut that shit out, it's very real and a real threat. Your leisure for a few weeks isn't worth the cost to the rest of your life and everyone elses, ffs. I thought you said you understood this. No-one wants to have this happen, no-one wants to be in this situation but there is no way out of it besides everyone getting in line. No - one wanted to go to war, be thankful this only has boredom as a consequence for you and not a funeral. Take sometime to digest it before ya go spouting off this shit, ffs, lad.

You know what?Then go ahead and be a hermit for me then.Not only that, go work in my stead to keep my fucking family afloat.Or rather, go pay my goddamn bills to keep myself from making a fucking debt.

Get off your damn high horse.Go panic alone in the corner, but don't drag others with you.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Around the Network
Nautilus said:

So what you want me to do?Live inside my house for 3 months straight?Don't go for groceries, don't go for work, don't go to study?

Have no social life?Live a hermit life for that period when you are 100% sure you are not infected?

Dude, it's easier to die in a car accident than this.Far easier.And that's something that happens every day.I'm not going to live my life just because the world had an outbreak and people panicked, something that seems to happen once every 10 years.

Panicking is the worse thing to happen right now and just makes things worse.

The problem is, the virus has been allowed to seed itself all over the world, in many countries, states and cities. The current measures atm are needed to put a halt to the current spread and catch up with detection. Since the incubation time is up to 2 weeks (3 in extreme cases), at least 2 weeks are needed to take inventory and decide what comes next.

No, you don't need to live inside your house for the next 3 months, however right now we have no grasp on how many people are actually already infected and potentially spreading it on wards. It can take up to 2 weeks to get sick, then another couple weeks to die or even longer to recover.

This is potentially worse than the black plague because of our modern society and global mobility. Never before has a disease spread so fast around the world creating new hot spots in thousands of locations almost simultaneously.

That was 3 days ago. Total detected cases passed the 134K already today.

Don't panic, don't be stupid like all the people lined up at the supermarket right now only increasing the chance of infecting each other... Governments did a shitty job preparing people which they should have been doing since Januari. So now shit suddenly got real, people over react. But at least it's still early, better have everyone run around in a panic now than when indeed 1% of the people already carry the virus.

Lonely_Dolphin said:
If everyone were a recluse like me the virus wouldn't have spread. Clearly I am the model human being everyone should strive to be.

I wonder how many people who think they may have it, who are healthy and will almost certainly fight it off like any other flu, go to get tested, find out they don't have it, yet contract it while in the presence of others who do have it, waiting to get tested, and end up spreading it?

John2290 said:
Nautilus said:

You know what?Then go ahead and be a hermit for me then.Not only that, go work in my stead to keep my fucking family afloat.Or rather, go pay my goddamn bills to keep myself from making a fucking debt.

Get off your damn high horse.Go panic alone in the corner, but don't drag others with you.

There is a big difference between panicking and facing reality. Looks to me, like you are the one who is panicking right now, I done that two weeks ago and got over it.

I'd been meaning to say something earlier but you have indeed changed your tone over the course of this thread.  For the better in my opinion.  I know most of my posts have been on the light side in this thread but this is something we need to take seriously.  An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure and we will likely run into a shortage of "cure" before this is all said and done with. 

Be level headed, be empathetic in your preparation, keep your wits about you to help minimize the spread. Wash those hands early and often. If you think you are sick wear a mask when out and about so most particulate from coughs that sneak up on you are trapped in your mask.

SpokenTruth said:
EricHiggin said:

That same vid I saw the other day mentioned that 1). 80% of Americans have paid sick leave in some form apparently. Again, not sure how true that is, but that would be pretty decent coverage out of the whole.

Even if the healthcare system was universal, it wouldn't automatically save everyone. 2).Free healthcare doesn't mean no death.

3). UBI doesn't solve much. If you're not going out due to an outbreak, you're not spending extra money, other than on extra food and supplies, which some have mentioned isn't good if it's not rationed. 4). Just because you can get tested, doesn't mean you don't die, and doesn't guarantee you don't spread it, even though it should help to slow the spread.

1). Well, that's the biggest lie I've heard all hour.  And even for those that do have it, many require a doctor note verifying the illness.  So you can't simply use it as paid time off.  It's only valid if you're actually ill.

2). Who said it did?  Universal healthcare means everybody gets tested and everybody gets treatment. Regardless of your employer funded insurance (who might fight to not pay your testing or treatment because insurance companies do that shit all the time).

3). UBI solves a ton of issues.  If you have to take time off and don't get paid, how are you going to pay your bills? 

4). Where does this notion that getting tested means not dying keep coming from?  Nobody is saying that. 

Ok but if you're not working, and not going out much because you shouldn't, trying to help solve the problem, you should have enough sitting around to cover typical bills for a while. If you don't, then you as an individual didn't plan ahead well enough, like some of the corporations who didn't and will end up paying for it. If the people deserve free money, so do all the Corps. Not to mention, legally, they are "people" as well.

"Free testing", "What good is bailing out an airline industry if you lose too many passengers to the very virus your corporate bailout was saving you from?" The notion came from what you said prior.

How many people likely go to get tested, who aren't infected, who end up infected after being tested, by being in the presence of other infected people? How many of them go out and spread it everywhere because they don't think they have it?

Around the Network
NightlyPoe said:
haxxiy said:

The Covid-19 strains have been sequenced already on most countries and are almost identical everywhere. For some reason, people think viral evolution is like Pokémon and happens in quantum leaps that would suddenly make the disease worse or better.

Well, not that much of a quantum leap anyway.  My point wasn't to actually entertain the notion, it was to demonstrate how absurd a 100,000 in the state of Ohio estimate was.

If it were that benign, we wouldn't care how far and wide it spread.  We're not that lucky.

Is it that absurd, though? Average time of deterioration to critical condition is about 11 days, and to death about 14 days, counting from when the symptoms begin. Is 300 to 1,000 deaths like Italy being replicated in Ohio in two or three weeks time really that unfeasible, considering how things are going?

so the chances are high we don't get Animal crossing....

WATCH ME!

htt://youtube.com/thisisrusko

ThisIsRusko said:
so the chances are high we don't get Animal crossing....

Nah, even in the worst case scenario it can still be bought digitally. I'll be taking the risk and going outside of my room to get it physically though.

EricHiggin said:
Lonely_Dolphin said:
If everyone were a recluse like me the virus wouldn't have spread. Clearly I am the model human being everyone should strive to be.

I wonder how many people who think they may have it, who are healthy and will almost certainly fight it off like any other flu, go to get tested, find out they don't have it, yet contract it while in the presence of others who do have it, waiting to get tested, and end up spreading it?

that's why the drive-in covid-19 check South Korea does is a great idea - a nurse in full suit just comes out to take the samples and the potential patients all just stay in their cars

NightlyPoe said:
haxxiy said:

Is it that absurd, though? Average time of deterioration to critical condition is about 11 days, and to death about 14 days, counting from when the symptoms begin. Is 300 to 1,000 deaths like Italy being replicated in Ohio in two or three weeks time really that unfeasible, considering how things are going?

That would be assuming that, somehow, almost all 100,000 infections happened this morning.

Not necessarily, but 90% could have been in the last seven days, and anything before lost in the vague ocean of "respiratory illness" or "flu-like illness". People aren't usually tested for viruses when they die from these, and secondary pneumonia from Covid-19 can easily outlast the viral infection.