By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread

The entire world is pausing, scary times ahead

Around the Network

My university moved all classes online yesterday. Spring break starts next week. All trips canceled. Classes will remain online the week following spring break. I live in the NYC area. The place where I work part time has also closed 2 weeks because of the virus. I was supposed to produce a short film next week, that has also been canceled.

I do not really know what to do with myself for the next week and a half except be broke and stay at home. I will study and do some creative work I guess.

My trip to Miami in May has also been called off.

Interesting times we are living in. Stay safe everyone. Remember to wash your hands.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

I predict the Chinese Hospitals in Wuhan will be overrun again in about 9 months time.

Spoiler!
This time will be their maternity wards ... bored couples under quarantine anyone?

I'm less concerned about myself and more about the young kids and elderly in my family. My grandma has heart problems and I worry about her a lot..

NightlyPoe said:
Do you have to go through UK AND get screen processed, or do you have two options?

The UK is just not included in the European travel restrictions for reasons that he didn't mention.

Presumably Americans can still come home from Germany or wherever.  There was no mention of needing to dropping by at London first.

Flights from outside the UK to the US will likely end up being cancelled. I don't think there are enough Americans on board on average to justify it.

So effectively they have to travel via London.

Also this move basically proves that fever screenings at airports were kinda useless.

Last edited by Barozi - on 12 March 2020

Around the Network

Wow what complete failure to respond to the virus here in Norway

Barozi said:

Flights from outside the UK to the US will likely end up being cancelled. I don't think there are enough Americans on board on average to justify it.

So effectively they have to travel via London.

Also this move basically proves that fever screenings at airports were kinda useless.

Canada still welcomes European tourists :/ It's only a short drive over the border to the states from here. So pointless.

John2290 said:
KLXVER said:

Well when one country is making most of certain medical supplies for the entire world, it could be a disaster when that country is hit with an outbreak. We have managed threats over time. Its never just stomped out early. We never seem to see these things coming. Its never a matter of IF, its always a matter of WHEN. Yet we still act like theres never been one before. Im not very worried about the corona virus, but god help us all when a really bad virus is unleashed upon us.

This will show the flaws and we'll have plans next time, Perhaps this is a good thing in the scheme of thing cause if this was MERS or Ebole level numbers we wouldn't have a second chance to fix the holes in the system. It might bring Business back to western nations and decrease Chinas power and grip on the rest of us. A wake up call might have been what is needed, alas though, people were already turning to Nationalism and this is going to secure that to a more sever qnd dangerous degree. 

@KLXVER: With a bad virus like Sars or Ebola measures were fast taken because it was clear it was very deadly, with this one it wasn't, most hardly felt it.  That's why some goverments were rather reacting weak about the situation.
@John2290 The medical supplies are not the issue but rather countries being unprepared. Most countries only have a few hundred isolation rooms because they don't really need more and creating more would have been a waste for taxpapers money....Well except for now. Same with test kits, some african countries have 50K testkits and more while countries like Indonesia/the phillipines barely had 2000 for a population of + 100 million.

Based on population this are the top 10 hitted countries:

Italy
S. Korea
Norway
Iran
Bahrain
Denmark
Switzerland
Qatar
Spain
Sweden

The UK policy of contain, delay, research and mitigate sounds an awful lot like The Four Stage Strategy.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!