By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread

I don't understand why so many people refuse to get the vaccine? Nearly all Covid deaths are among the unvaccinated.

Stupidity?

Individualism?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

Around the Network
Signalstar said:

I don't understand why so many people refuse to get the vaccine? Nearly all Covid deaths are among the unvaccinated.

Stupidity?

Individualism?

It's the perfect combo of ignorance and arrogance. They are ignorant of the science or understanding needed to comprehend the complex subtleties of what's going on and how it affects them, and arrogant enough to believe that 5 minutes of confirmation-biased googling teaches them more than the people who literally dedicate their lives to the subject at hand. 

So, stupidity is one word for it. Brazen, unabashed, proud stupidity. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Good news:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/28/health/coronavirus-vaccines-immunity.html

"The vaccines made by Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna set off a persistent immune reaction in the body that may protect against the coronavirus for years, scientists reported on Monday. The findings add to growing evidence that most people immunized with the mRNA vaccines may not need boosters, so long as the virus and its variants do not evolve much beyond their current forms — which is not guaranteed. People who recovered from Covid-19 before being vaccinated may not need boosters even if the virus does make a significant transformation. “It’s a good sign for how durable our immunity is from this vaccine,” said Ali Ellebedy, an immunologist at Washington University in St. Louis who led the study, which was published in the journal Nature. The study did not consider the coronavirus vaccine made by Johnson & Johnson, but Dr. Ellebedy said he expected the immune response to be less durable than that produced by mRNA vaccines."

Im super happy I got the Pfizer jab now :)

Also it went so smoothly, barely felt the jab go in (the nurse did a great job), only had like a day's minor soreness, maybe slightly more tired a day or two, and then things were just back to normal. I still need the 2nd jab,.... but that should be over in a few weeks time.

Yay, mRNA vaccines!

Finally managed to book myself in to get vaccinated, I get my first Pfizer shot on the 4th of August.

Only problem is I took the first available spot which is at a hospital on the other side of the city in a pretty shady suburb, so my biggest fear now is getting attacked by a meth-head or catching covid on the way to and from my appointment haha. Fingers crossed there's no covid in Melbourne then, just like there isn't now.

The vaccine rollout here in Australia has been a disaster, the government's aim was to vaccinate the entire population by October but at the current rate it will take until April 2022. Our federal government and prime minister are trash.

Still trying to organize a booking for my brother who has more significant autism than me and a congenital heart defect.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 29 June 2021

Around the Network

Here we are at 58% of adults with the first dose and 16% with the second dose, with the aim to rise to 100% and 58%, respectively, by late September.

Since seroprevalence is now above 50%, I expect numbers to fall earlier than that, though, considering how absurdly high antibody titers are in the convalescent after just one dose.

My wife got her second dose today, hurts a lot she said. I'm eligible now as well to book an appointment for a second dose however there are no time slots open atm. Plenty chose for first doses but nothing for a second dose. What is the difference between the first and second shot? I've heard it a lot that the first dose hardly gives a reaction then the second dose hits like a truck. My dad had the same thing with his second dose.

I'll keep checking for an available date, not that it matters much for what you should or should not do
https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/who-urges-fully-vaccinated-people-to-wear-masks-as-delta-variant-cases-surge-1.5489999
Meanwhile in the USA things seem to be back to normal, stadiums and studios filled with up again, no masks.

For example, May 30

May 29

We'll see where it goes. The border is still closed.

SvennoJ said:

What is the difference between the first and second shot? I've heard it a lot that the first dose hardly gives a reaction then the second dose hits like a truck. My dad had the same thing with his second dose.

Don't remember which manufacturer you said you got, but my first shot of Moderna gave me a sore shoulder for a couple days while the second shot did the same along with some mild flu like symptoms for just as long.

curl-6 said:

Finally managed to book myself in to get vaccinated, I get my first Pfizer shot on the 4th of August.

Only problem is I took the first available spot which is at a hospital on the other side of the city in a pretty shady suburb, so my biggest fear now is getting attacked by a meth-head or catching covid on the way to and from my appointment haha. Fingers crossed there's no covid in Melbourne then, just like there isn't now.

The vaccine rollout here in Australia has been a disaster, the government's aim was to vaccinate the entire population by October but at the current rate it will take until April 2022. Our federal government and prime minister are trash.

Still trying to organize a booking for my brother who has more significant autism than me and a congenital heart defect.

Na, I'm in Melbourne. Only case detected today was already a close contact and quarantining themselves during the infectious period.

I'm not too fussed about gettting a shot yet. Try taking your brother with you. I have heard from others if you simply wait around the area, they'll always be someone who hasn't shown up to their appointment leaving one jab free. 

Why not, you'll be there anyway.

TallSilhouette said:
SvennoJ said:

What is the difference between the first and second shot? I've heard it a lot that the first dose hardly gives a reaction then the second dose hits like a truck. My dad had the same thing with his second dose.

Don't remember which manufacturer you said you got, but my first shot of Moderna gave me a sore shoulder for a couple days while the second shot did the same along with some mild flu like symptoms for just as long.

She got Pfizer both times. They say it's safe and maybe even more beneficial to mix and match them, Moderna as the second shot. I'm just wondering if the second dose is different, more potent maybe. Or if they're simply separating appointments to get more first doses out. They ran out of Pfizer today where my wife was. She was one of the last ones to get Pfizer, but they still had plenty Moderna left.

This says they are identical, however it also says you can't mix Moderna and Pfizer (perhaps he means in the syringe?)
https://www.king5.com/article/news/verify/verify-first-second-covid-vaccine-the-same/281-0b837bea-dc76-49ea-ab42-7d7c98a8b45c

Just love the daily conflicting information campaign :) Here it's up to 4 months between shots, elsewhere it's max 6 weeks. I guess your immune system might react more 'violently' against a second dose.