By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread

Got my second shot yesterday, first doses are being given to 20 year olds here so I hope this ends soon. Winter isn't helping

Around the Network

Weekly update. Downward momentum is declining, UK and Russia still going up as well as South Africa

In total another 2.56 million new cases were reported last week (down from 2.72 million) for a total of 178,588,459
Also another 66,363 deaths were reported (down from 73,122) for a total of 3,866,662

Europe is starting to level off, USA is slowing down as well

The continents

South America reported 984K new cases (up from 969K) and 26,837 more deaths (slightly up from 26,648)
Asia reported 973K new cases (down from 1.15 million) and 26,391 more deaths (down from 31,675)
Europe reported 275K new cases (down from 295K) and 6,210 more deaths (down from 7,751)
North America reported 172K new cases (down from 196K) and 4,337 more deaths (down from 4,754)
Africa reported 150K new cases (up from 112K) and 2,583 more deaths (up from 2,292)
Oceania reported 986 new cases (974 last week) and 5 deaths (2 last week)

Corners of the world

Brazil reported 501K new cases (up from 459K) and 14,271 more deaths (up from 13,382)
India reported 465K new cases (down from 664K) and 18,070 more deaths (down from 22,996)
USA reported 86.8K new cases (down from 114K) and 2,182 more deaths (down from 2,498)
Iran reported 67.4K new cases (up from 58.7K) and 950 deaths (983 last week)
South Africa reported 66.5K new cases (up from 44.1K) and 849 deaths (760 last week)
Japan reported 11.0K new cases (down from 14.9K) and 413 deaths (543 last week)
Canada reported 7,553 new cases (down from 10.2k) and 137 deaths (207 last week)
South Korea reported 3,379 new cases (down from 4,007) and 15 deaths (12 last week)
Australia reported 84 new cases (78 last week) no deaths

Europe in detail

Russia hanging on to the top spot, UK giving chase. Austria doing the best this week.

The border closure has been extended again, to July 21st. Meanwhile nearly 75% of the eligible population has received their first shot and 20% has been fully vaccinated in Canada. After the 26th I should be able to book an appointment for a second dose, my wife gets her second shot next Thursday if all goes well.

Countries using inactivated vaccines should seriously consider a booster dose. I mean, we always knew they were generating antibody titers comparable to a single mRNA vaccine dose, and lower than Jannsen's, and both trials and now the real-world results are showing.

At least over here, most vaccines should be either Pfizer or AZ going forward... so I hope for results more like the UK than Chile.

Weekly update. Trends are reversing, new hopefully smaller waves are starting

In total 2.57 million new cases were reported last week (2.56 million last week) bringing the total to 181,163,217
Also another 57,896 new deaths were reported (down from 66,363) bringing the total of casualties to 2,574,758

USA and Europe have both started to head back up again.

The continents

South America reported 960K new cases (slightly down from 984K) and 24,964 more deaths (slightly down from 26,837)
Asia reported 925K new cases (down from 973K) and 18,202 more deaths (down from 26,391)
Europe reported 312K new cases (up from 275K) and 6,477 more deaths (slightly up from 6,210)
Africa reported 197K new cases (up from 150K) and 3,542 more deaths (up from 2,583)
North America reported 178K new cases (slightly up from 172K) and 4,697 more deaths (slightly up from 4,337)
Oceania reported 1847 new cases (up from 986) and 14 deaths (5 last week)

Corners of the world

Brazil reported 521K new cases (up from 501K) and 12,651 more deaths (down from 14,271)
India reported 360K new cases (down from 465K) and 9,357 more deaths (down from 18,070)
South Africa reported 99.3K new cases (up from 66.4K) and 1,180 more deaths (up from 849)
USA reported 89.4K new cases (slightly up from 86.8K) and 2,232 more deaths (2,182 last week)
Iran reported 70.4K new cases (slightly up from 67.4K) and 842 more deaths (950 last week)
Japan reported 10.2K new cases (slightly down from 11.0K) and 278 deaths (413 last week)
Canada reported 4,957 new cases (down from 7,553) and 174 deaths (137 last week)
South Korea reported 3,551 new cases (slightly up from 3,379) and 13 deaths (15 last week)
Australia reported 109 new cases (85 last week) no deaths

Europe in detail

The olympic games are set to go ahead in less than a month. Meanwhile Japan appears to be starting to turn into another wave. Bad timing to start building a delta variant wave with less than a month to go.

Tokyo Olympics just got an important no-confidence vote — from Japan’s emperor
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/olympics/2021/06/24/olympics-emperor-japan/

Barozi said:

Here in Germany, we just reached the milestone of 50% getting their first dose. Almost 30% got their 2nd shot.

In denmark its much the same.
55% have had 1 jab, and 31% have had 2 (fully vaccinated).

we have like ~180-200 daily new cases, and ~60 hospitalised, and 17 in intensive care (11 on respirators currently).
Positive procentage of tests, seem to be around ~0.20 to 0,24% (seems stable, dispite opening everything back up basically) ....
and the amount of people hospitalised and in intensive care seem to be dropping.

Delta varient, and the Delta plus (or super) is scary though.
The fact that yesterday the UK had over 16,000 new daily cases, dispite them haveing done so well with vaccinations... sucks.
It will likely spread to rest of world soon, and repeat.  Though supposedly only 10-15% of the new infected, had 2 doses of vaccines.

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 26 June 2021

Around the Network

Looks like Israel reports turned out to be true regarding myocarditis link with the pfizer vaccine. Before that, it was the EU who "detected" the link between clots and AZ. I am only bringing this up because I don't know if the vaccines given in third world countries will ever be put to a real test if patients don't have the privilege to seek medical help from their family doctors or emergency departments like patients in Europe & Israel do.

LurkerJ said:

Looks like Israel reports turned out to be true regarding myocarditis link with the pfizer vaccine. Before that, it was the EU who "detected" the link between clots and AZ. I am only bringing this up because I don't know if the vaccines given in third world countries will ever be put to a real test if patients don't have the privilege to seek medical help from their family doctors or emergency departments like patients in Europe & Israel do.

And how big of a percentage were those cases? Because seeing the number of people that are dying every day from the actual sickness, I'm totally fine with taking the risk of getting a few cases of myocarditis and clots.

chakkra said:
LurkerJ said:

And how big of a percentage were those cases? Because seeing the number of people that are dying every day from the actual sickness, I'm totally fine with taking the risk of getting a few cases of myocarditis and clots.

And I wasn't suggesting otherwise? 

LurkerJ said:

Apparently its pretty rare (we're talking like ~50 cases out of 5million jabs), and primarily happends to young adult men (30 and below).
Inflamation of the heart muscles is serious though..... the good news is that in most cases it just goes away on its own, without long term effects.

I saw a video of a doctor saying he thinks that everyone before the jab (with these mRNA vaccines) should be told, dont do any hard labour or workouts, upto a week after takeing the first and 2nd jab. As that would basically safeguard, most people (these young men, that take it) from getting long term effects from it.

chakkra said:
LurkerJ said:

I think in the USA, theres been like ~80-140 cases (off camra, confirmed, "several dozen cases atleast" comment).
In isreal its like 50-60ish? or so, and theres been some in europe as well.

So this isnt super common.
In isreal I think it was like 50 cases out of more than 5million vaccinations.
Also this is almost exclusively happending with young men (adults 30 or under).
And alot of it (those that get lasting issues), is because of active lifestyles (ei. hard labour or workouts).

Basically, just dont stress your heart, a week or so, after the jab.
Take it nice and slow, if your worried about heart issues resulting from vaccination (esp. if your a young man).

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 26 June 2021

JRPGfan said:
LurkerJ said:

Apparently its pretty rare (we're talking like ~50 cases out of 5million jabs), and primarily happends to young adult men (30 and below).
Inflamation of the heart muscles is serious though..... the good news is that in most cases it just goes away on its own, without long term effects.

I saw a video of a doctor saying he thinks that everyone before the jab (with these mRNA vaccines) should be told, dont do any hard labour or workouts, upto a week after takeing the first and 2nd jab. As that would basically safeguard, most people (these young men, that take it) from getting long term effects from it.

chakkra said:

I think in the USA, theres been like ~80-140 cases (off camra, confirmed, "several dozen cases atleast" comment).
In isreal its like 50-60ish? or so, and theres been some in europe as well.

So this isnt super common.
In isreal I think it was like 50 cases out of more than 5million vaccinations.
Also this is almost exclusively happending with young men (adults 30 or under).
And alot of it (those that get lasting issues), is because of active lifestyles (ei. hard labour or workouts).

Basically, just dont stress your heart, a week or so, after the jab.
Take it nice and slow, if your worried about heart issues resulting from vaccination (esp. if your a young man).

Thanks for the information. I am double vax'ed with pfizer and I had covid19. But good to know for booster vaccines.