By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread

Bofferbrauer2 said:

Had he said that they were effective, then people would have stormed and looted pharmacies just to get their hands on them at the time, and healthcare professionals, who need them the most, would have stayed empty-handed. He was between a rock and a hard place; admitting that masks work and risk a riot from people to get them and those who need them most not getting them; or lying to buy some time to get more stocks on the masks so everybody could get some at a later date.

The only other thing that he could have said is that any cover over the mouth and nose, be it a homemade mask, a bandana, a scarf, a visor, or anything else along those lines would be helpful, but that the medical masks will be reserved for medical staff until they got enough stocks in reserve. But I'm not sure about the efficacy of these compare to the medical masks, and they maybe also didn't, so they didn't want to go any risks later down the road with those and rather said that masks don't help.

I am a keyworker and I had masks available to me since day 1 and I still find the lies uttered by him and many others to be disgusting. We are all served better by the truth, and I have immense respect and more faith in us individuals and for how most of us responded to the pandemic and followed the rules despite the fact that many of us don't agree with what we were told, why so much bending over for the phonies who literally screwed us over? This is beyond scandalous. 

Any masks can help, even face coverings do the job at lowering risks of transmission, this is public knowledge at this point. There was absolutely no need to not encourage face coverings to the same degree other measures were encouraged. Besides, more factories would've jumped on the opportunity to make masks available for everyone have they known there is money for them in selling masks to everyone on the planet. 

Last edited by LurkerJ - on 23 June 2020

Around the Network

One thing I hate about wearing a mask at my factory is that I have to wear safety glasses also and the fucking mask makes my safety glasses which are supposedly fog resistant fog up and I can't see anything (area of my job is humid and I move around a lot sweating which makes it even worse). So half the time I'm pulling the mask down below my nose just so I can see and actually do my job. If anyone has any tips on preventing fog up on safety glasses I'm all ears because this is fucking annoying. 

Sometimes having the glasses rest more towards tip of nose helps but then what's the point of wearing safety glasses if not worn properly plus it is annoying to have rest on tip of nose.  I do have a pair of safety goggles at home which might work better than glasses preventing the fog.  Might look a little weird wearing goggles and not glasses but if it prevents fogging then I'm going to switch.  I'll try it out at home before work.

Last edited by sethnintendo - on 23 June 2020

sethnintendo said:

One thing I hate about wearing a mask at my factory is that I have to wear safety glasses also and the fucking mask makes my safety glasses which are supposedly fog resistant fog up and I can't see anything (area of my job is humid and I move around a lot sweating which makes it even worse). So half the time I'm pulling the mask down below my nose just so I can see and actually do my job. If anyone has any tips on preventing fog up on safety glasses I'm all ears because this is fucking annoying. 

Sometimes having the glasses rest more towards tip of nose helps but then what's the point of wearing safety glasses if not worn properly plus it is annoying to have rest on tip of nose.  I do have a pair of safety goggles at home which might work better than glasses preventing the fog.  Might look a little weird wearing goggles and not glasses but if it prevents fogging then I'm going to switch.  I'll try it out at home before work.

I do the tip of the nose trick but sounds like you have more concerns about eye damage at work than I do. One of my coworkers had a mask that cuts kind of low on the cheeks and then comes back around the nose. I asked about it and she said that it allows her breath to escape before it fogs up the glasses. Something like below:

Torillian said:
sethnintendo said:

I do the tip of the nose trick but sounds like you have more concerns about eye damage at work than I do. One of my coworkers had a mask that cuts kind of low on the cheeks and then comes back around the nose. I asked about it and she said that it allows her breath to escape before it fogs up the glasses. Something like below:

Yea I might try a different mask.  I've asked a few co-workers with mask like pic provided and said they still had issues but probably not as bad as me.   I just tried the safety goggles out and they completely block the exhaled air coming into them.  I'm trying to wear mask properly but makes you want to pull it down from nose when you can't see. So I'll try a few other masks with safety glasses and if keep having fog problems then ill just switch to the goggles. 

sethnintendo said:

I have the same issue with my normal glasses. It's annoying when shopping, look down and breath out, glasses fog up. It's also an indication that the mask is not effective. The air escaping around the top is not getting filtered. The recommendation is to tuck the top of the mask under the glasses and use the glasses to pinch the mask against your face. Breath out slowly to give the air time to pass through the mask. Also breathe in slowly not to suck unfiltered air in around the edges. Another reason why jogging and cycling with a mask is pointless. They are not designed for heavy breathing.

Breathing in works better through the masks than breathing out. So wear them anyway, since anyone infected wearing a mask won't stop them spreading the virus in the air. I wonder what smokers are doing? I don't see many of them here, nor can you smoke anywhere inside.

Around the Network
LurkerJ said:

Not surprised as I am in touch with a key-worker who tested positive when swapped and had symptoms months ago but no antibodies were found in their blood when they got tested recently. I wonder what this means for potential vaccines.

On another note, at this point, I am shocked and appalled how the only choices we have as communities are still the binary: "lock yourselves and watch your economy burn" or "reopen and watch the vaccine ravage your communities".

The situation is terrible in most countries around the world, and yet, no talks of COVID19 currency or debt forgiveness, basically the only way to alleviate the pressures of a lockdown and successfully bring the numbers down worldwide. The every man for themselves attitude has been disgusting to watch.

Every country for themselves. It began with buying up masks and tests and no doubt vaccines will go the same route despite the best intentions.

Here beaches are closing again since too many people show up disregarding social distancing, which is bad for the economy again.
https://london.ctvnews.ca/sauble-beach-to-close-mayor-partially-blames-thousands-of-toronto-area-beachgoers-1.4995797

Employers get more time to (not) rehire employees
https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/feds-extend-window-of-time-for-employers-to-re-hire-staff-laid-off-due-to-covid-19-1.4996043
For employees who were laid off before March 31, their employers have six months or until December 30 to bring back their workers.
Good for employers, not good for the employees that won't get any vacation nor severance pay.

Someone got to pay the 'temporarily' laid off workers

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/eight-more-weeks-of-cerb-to-cost-17-9-billion-budget-officer-says-1.4996021
The report this morning from budget officer Yves Giroux says that would bring the total cost of the benefit program for people who've lost all or nearly all their work to the COVID-19 pandemic to $71.3 billion. The CERB, now budgeted at $60 billion, has paid out $43.51 billion to 8.41 million people as of June 4 as demand surges past federal expectations.

Planned spending this year was $304 billion. $71 billion on top just for CERB. (Canada Emergency Response Benefit)
Then there is a large part of 70 billion in domestic tourism revenues lost and 16 billion from international travelers.

Restaurants are closing, fine dining can't survive on take out. Yet Supermarket profits are up 20% (while they want to scrap the $2 'hero' pay rise already) https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/hero-grocery-store-workers-should-get-properly-paid-pm-says-1.4991682 Cleaning products and garden centers are making record profits, as well as home entertainment and communication.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/business-is-booming-for-these-companies-during-the-covid-19-pandemic-1.4933907
Activision Blizzard (+21%), Electronic Arts (+12%), Nintendo (+41%), Clorox Company (+15%), Reckitt Benckiser (+14%), Peleton (+66%), Publix (+14%), Korgur (+30%), Beyond meat (+141%), 3M (+3%, +21% in healthcare segment), Wayfair (+20%), Overstock (+120%), Slack (+80%), Zoom (+120% stock price)

It's a mess and as usual some people get rich, many more struggle to stay afloat. International relief efforts are there
https://www.canadahelps.org/en/support-covid-19-international-relief-efforts/
Yet with the whole world burning and everyone uncertain about their own future. Depressing times.

Last edited by SvennoJ - on 23 June 2020

I wouldn't be too concerned about the results of antibody tests. Not all kinds of antibodies lead to detectable titers. Plasmocytes also often have a lifespan of a few days to a few weeks, and just a few of them tend to linger for much longer than this. Evolutionary speaking, it doesn't make sense to waste energy developing immediate defenses to a disease that is no longer present in the organism. But celullar immune response mediated by memory T cell, which doesn't register in antibody titers, lasts for decades, if not indefinitely.

Of course, while this is faster than the innate response, it would still be slower than having the antibodies themselves around. This is why you can get the flu or common cold multiple times but the infection isn't as severe as it would be to someone who has never had contact with these pathogens to begin with. Regardless, even 40 - 52 weeks of immunity, as it is for the endemic, mild coronaviruses, should suffice for a vaccine to be available.

crissindahouse said:
Trumpstyle said:

But it is accurate that in Germnay face masks are mandated in shops/public transportation, that why we are comparing Germany to Denmark/norway/Finland and probably soon Sweden to see how good face masks are. Our countries are pretty similiar.

See, I would say most people who get infected get infected by family or other people you are close with for some time. But if a family member infects other family members or close friends it's easy to find all who got infected by a short time.

If I infect some guy in the bus then it will be much harder to even know that I infected that guy and that guy might infect even more until he knows that he has it.

That's why face masks make sense even if they only prevent me to infect some of those I don't know.

Most parts of Germany had very little or no new infections at all over the last week. But we had some huge outbreaks in very few areas. Like over 1500 infections in a slaughter house. That can happen and that will push the numbers a lot but it doesn't automatically mean that the whole country has bad numbers again nor does it mean that face masks don't work when almost all these infections happened between people who sit on each other the whole day.  

I'm not even that concerned by that specific outbreak. A lot of those "employees" are from Eastern European countries and likely don't have a lot of other social contacts outside of their colleagues and their families.

In two weeks were going to have multiple states looking like New York in April.

Another vaccine has reached Phase II trials, making 9 in total at this stage, and two more in Phase III.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/science/coronavirus-vaccine-tracker.html

A new anti-viral drug that prevents the virus from replicating could be available by the end of the year

https://www.perthnow.com.au/news/coronavirus/australian-scientists-make-global-breakthrough-on-new-antiviral-drug-against-covid-19-infection-ng-b881584958z