Forums - General Discussion - Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread

You concerned yet?

Yes 86 48.31%

No, but I will be followi... 50 28.09%

No, its being overblown 42 23.60%

Total:178
Pemalite said:
KiigelHeart said:

Yes they need to change it every year and even make an educated guess which vaccine to use. Sometimes it doesn't even work well, sometimes it does. I expect we see something similar with corona in the future. 

Unless they rush this new RNA-vaccine without proper testing and we all die of course :P

The Flu vaccine no longer protects against just one strain, but a multitude of strains, that takes out a chunk of guess work in trying to work out Northern/Southern Hemisphere trends and projecting that onto the next Flu Season.

Multitude is a little misleading 3 or 4 strains (2 respiratory & 2 stomach typically) isn't how I personally would define a multitude.

Flu vaccines cause antibodies to develop in the body about two weeks after vaccination. These antibodies provide protection against infection with the viruses that are used to make the vaccine.

The seasonal flu vaccine protects against the influenza viruses that research indicates will be most common during the upcoming season. Most flu vaccines in the United States protect against four different flu viruses (“quadrivalent”); an influenza A (H1N1) virus, an influenza A (H3N2) virus, and two influenza B viruses. There are also some flu vaccines that protect against three different flu viruses (“trivalent”); an influenza A (H1N1) virus, an influenza A (H3N2) virus, and one influenza B virus. Two of the trivalent vaccines are designed specifically for people 65 and older to create a stronger immune response. - source

Edit, misspelled respiratory

Last edited by The_Yoda - on 21 April 2020

Around the Network
KiigelHeart said:
vivster said:
Still don't like how heavily under reported US deaths are. People are dying at home in the thousands.

How can they be sure which deaths are caused by corona? Lockdown and hysteria will also kill people.

Here in Finland, doctors are worried that many severely ill people aren't going to the hospitals anymore. 30% less people have gone to cardiologists for example. They're afraid to catch corona but end up being at for greater risk staying at home.

I'd expect this has been far worse in US past month with all the panic. And there was been much more people dying by heart failures...

in very serious cases SARS-CoV-2 has been observed to attack organs other then the lungs, including the heart aswell - while the state of emergency certainly contributes to the increase in cases, it can't reasonably explain a ten fold increase like shown in NYC

btw ppl not going to hospitals out of fear (usually fear of financial ruin) is part of how the system works in the us

SpokenTruth said:

1). As I said, I live here and yes it was thousands.

1.  Unless you're talking about multiple beaches and/or an extended period of time, there are simply not thousands of people there.

And the reason you don't see sunbathers, swimsuits, etc....is because that was all still banned.

What you're saying is that they went ahead and continued to ban the types of activities that would result in congregations of people?  Like they thought things out in advance and decided on only opening the beach to activities that would be safe.

Look, we all agree that we need to open the country up in a responsible way, do we not?  Why are we joining a mob because a city is making a good faith effort to do exactly that?  Again, I see nothing particularly dangerous in those pictures.  I would feel more comfortable walking around there than the grocery store, and I'm sure that the novelty has already worn off for most people reducing crowds even further.

Is this how it's going to be?  Any time someone cracks things open a little, the whole world is going to jump on them?  You can't even have a place for people to walk around in open air?

2). And this is just a dodge. It's directly related to you claiming that M4A would harm pharmaceutical research because it would reduce revenue.

2.  It does not detract from my point in the slightest, therefore a tangent.  I'm not going to be sucked into some argument about stock buybacks.  Especially when I have no clue what the details are on what led to them.

Last edited by NightlyPoe - on 21 April 2020

Lafiel said:
KiigelHeart said:

How can they be sure which deaths are caused by corona? Lockdown and hysteria will also kill people.

Here in Finland, doctors are worried that many severely ill people aren't going to the hospitals anymore. 30% less people have gone to cardiologists for example. They're afraid to catch corona but end up being at for greater risk staying at home.

I'd expect this has been far worse in US past month with all the panic. And there was been much more people dying by heart failures...

in very serious cases SARS-CoV-2 has been observed to attack organs other then the lungs, including the heart aswell - while the state of emergency certainly contributes to the increase in cases, it can't reasonably explain a ten fold increase like shown in NYC

btw ppl not going to hospitals out of fear (usually fear of financial ruin) is part of how the system works in the us

It's not a ten fold increase though. I agree it doesn't explain all of the increase, but it would still be misleading to report all of them as COVID-19 deaths.

Serious cases should be treated at a hospital. Paints a sad picture of US healthcare system if people stay home while suffering such bad symptoms. 

Ka-pi96 said:
vivster said:

Yes, because suddenly no one will need oil anymore and won't pay for it and the oil companies will just keep everything and nobody has oil anymore. Yeah, that sounds totally realistic. Maybe you need to learn what the word "essential" means and then look up what humans will do when something "essential" is on the line.

It's one thing to be a bit worried, but you should listen to yourself. You are predicting war based on unsubstantiated fears. Which is funny, because unsubstantiated fears are the number one cause for wars. But maybe that's exactly what you want.

Dude, would you argue with this guy IRL?

So why are you arguing with him online?

I don't get it. I said war and famine, not the end of the world. Things that have occurred repeatedly though out history with only change as a result, often for the better. A few hundred million deaths aswell as a few wars isn't the end of the damn world. And at any rate, read todays report from the WHO and label them the doomsayers for warning of the potential of 130m starving before the end of 2020. 

Personally, I think we'll likely see deaths with nine zeros attached to the end by the time we rebuild from this is it stays the current course. That's not the end of the world.

People in this thread have a lot of optimism towards the outcomes here but it's blind or willfully ignorant and I've also noticed it's the "end of the world" only when it gets to peoples doorsteps. You're afraid, I get that yet shaming me for pointing out something you can well see yourself if you're willing to look isn't reducing that fear, it's you putting your fingers in your ears like a child hoping the world will somehow magically change. 

I'll not mention it again until the news reports it cause that has somehow become the factor in what is real or not anymore. 

China Numba wan!!

Around the Network
KiigelHeart said:
Lafiel said:

It's not a ten fold increase though. I agree it doesn't explain all of the increase, but it would still be misleading to report all of them as COVID-19 deaths.

Serious cases should be treated at a hospital. Paints a sad picture of US healthcare system if people stay home while suffering such bad symptoms. 

Edit: Misread that discussion. Nvm. 

China Numba wan!!

The_Yoda said:
Pemalite said:

The Flu vaccine no longer protects against just one strain, but a multitude of strains, that takes out a chunk of guess work in trying to work out Northern/Southern Hemisphere trends and projecting that onto the next Flu Season.

Multitude is a little misleading 3 or 4 strains (2 respiratory & 2 stomach typically) isn't how I personally would define a multitude.

I would. Either way it's just semantics.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

John2290 said:

I don't get it. I said war and famine, not the end of the world. Things that have occurred repeatedly though out history with only change as a result, often for the better. A few hundred million deaths aswell as a few wars isn't the end of the damn world. And at any rate, read todays report from the WHO and label them the doomsayers for warning of the potential of 130m starving before the end of 2020. 

Personally, I think we'll likely see deaths with nine zeros attached to the end by the time we rebuild from this is it stays the current course. That's not the end of the world.

People in this thread have a lot of optimism towards the outcomes here but it's blind or willfully ignorant and I've also noticed it's the "end of the world" only when it gets to peoples doorsteps. You're afraid, I get that yet shaming me for pointing out something you can well see yourself if you're willing to look isn't reducing that fear, it's you putting your fingers in your ears like a child hoping the world will somehow magically change. 

I'll not mention it again until the news reports it cause that has somehow become the factor in what is real or not anymore. 

That wasn't just aimed at that one post. Except for a brief period where you calmed down a little your entire time in this thread has been nothing but you panicking like mad.

It isn't the end of the world.

The virus isn't going to kill everybody.

China isn't going to kill everybody.

We don't need "a new world order".

Just calm down and stop freaking out already.

Bet Shiken that COD would outsell Battlefield in 2018. http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8749702

KiigelHeart said:
Lafiel said:

hmmm close enough? 

read this:
https://nypost.com/2020/04/07/scores-of-probable-coronavirus-deaths-are-not-being-counted-by-the-city/

JRPGfan said:

https://nypost.com/2020/04/07/scores-of-probable-coronavirus-deaths-are-not-being-counted-by-the-city/

“Out of the 12 [cardiac cases], I did on Sunday 10 had COVID symptoms. Flu-like symptoms, cough, etc. Nobody made it back. That’s going on all over the city,” said Anthony Almojera, vice president of FDNY, EMS union local 3621.

“There’s gotta be 200 a day… obviously are not all COVID, but they aren’t being tested,” he said.

The FDNY confirmed that paramedics are seeing more than 300 calls for cardiac arrest with “well over” 200 people dying each day. Typically paramedics would deal with around two dozen deaths on around 54 to 74 cardiac arrest calls.

So normally theres ~50-75 calls for cardiac arrests, calls each day. Out of these ~24 or so die.
Now they have 300+ calls each day, and over 200 pr day dieing? and its not noted as due to Coronavirus.

"New York City’s death toll — which surged past 3,000 on Tuesday — only includes the number of confirmed cases. The city does not test people for the disease after they’ve died — even if they end up in the Medical Examiner’s Office after fighting coronavirus-like symptoms."

Number of deaths due to this thing is being under reported by alot.

If you go from a "normal" avg of ~24 deaths due to heart attacks pr day.
To suddenly haveing 200+ every day.

Thats basically a factor of 10.

Just a "odd" coincidence most of these happend to have Covid19 symptoms before haveing heart attacks? yet wheren't tested for it after they died.
Cause of death noted down = Cardiac arrest.

I would not be surprised if in the US, you guys arnt counting nurseing homes, hospice,... or home deaths, correctly, or to the same degree as most european countries have.  Basically there could be twice as many deaths due to covid19 in the USA right now, as worldometers.info shows, and I wouldn't even be surprised.

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 21 April 2020

The rise of cases in Russia is keeping the daily reported cases in Europe above that of the USA despite most countries being on a decline.

On average Russia is now responsible for 20% of the daily reported cases in Europe. An overview of the largest contributors
Russia: 20.0%
UK: 18.5%
Spain: 12.2%
Italy: 10.0%
France: 7.8%

Europe is still responsible for 36% of worldwide reported cases, the USA adds 35%, leaving 29% for the rest of the world, which is increasing now Europe and the USA have peaked. The daily reported cases worldwide currently aren't growing, yet the decline from Europe and the USA is filled up by rising numbers in other countries.

Canada is still going up a bit, maybe an after effect of people visiting each other during Easter, maybe just an effect of more testing since reported deaths do seem to have reached a peak. In my local county 3 new cases were reported today, up to 78 confirmed. The question is, does that number mask another 700 active cases or more. It would be great to know how infectious this virus really is.