By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread

Are there any healthy outdoor activities we can do? Staying indoors and not socializing is starting to have an effect on my mental health.

Around the Network
jason1637 said:
Are there any healthy outdoor activities we can do? Staying indoors and not socializing is starting to have an effect on my mental health.

Do you have hiking trails nearby? I’m assuming there’s nothing wrong with taking a morning walk before people are out and about, practicing safe social distancing, of course. This could include stepping off the sidewalk to go around people. And, of course, practice safe hygiene upon return like washing your hands with soap for 20 seconds. Of course, I don’t know your region so perhaps you are under a more significant quarantine level. 

SpokenTruth said:
jason1637 said:

Most should be perfectly fine so long as they are not intensely close quarters with others and/or you're not sharing metallic objects with others.

Provided you understand the means of spreading the infection and how to mitigate it, you can still go outside and do many normal things while keeping yourself and others safe.

I live in NYC so it's very hard to do what you mentioned. I was planning to go tot he parks at early morning or night but the City closed them yesterday.

super_etecoon said:
jason1637 said:

Do you have hiking trails nearby? I’m assuming there’s nothing wrong with taking a morning walk before people are out and about, practicing safe social distancing, of course. This could include stepping off the sidewalk to go around people. And, of course, practice safe hygiene upon return like washing your hands with soap for 20 seconds. Of course, I don’t know your region so perhaps you are under a more significant quarantine level. 

Nearest hiking trails are about 40mins away but I might try going out early in the morning to avoid crowds.

SpokenTruth said:
jason1637 said:

I live in NYC so it's very hard to do what you mentioned. I was planning to go tot he parks at early morning or night but the City closed them yesterday.

Do you have rooftop access?

Yeah.

SvennoJ said:
haxxiy said:

China had literally 1 non-imported case today. It can be done.

But how exactly are they now managing it. Is life back to normal? Does everyone get tested that gets into the country? Is social distancing still in effect?

Going back to normal means imported cases slip through again and the cycle starts over. There are indications that you can already pass it on before showing symptoms yourself, you would need to test everyone or make everyone self isolate when entering the country, or indeed get the whole world on lock down for a month to make sure it dies out. The previous system to isolate when symptoms show up and trace contacts got us into the current mess.

I'm just a bit worried about people thinking it's all over when numbers start declining and then go back to globe trotting as usual.

Anyway it will be a while until that happens, so far the world wide growth in daily cases is still continuing despite some countries having put a pause on testing probable cases that are self isolated already. As well as not having enough capacity to test like here in Ontario

From what I've seen, quarantine should to be completely lifted in Hubei within the next two or three weeks (it already is, in a few cities), and most people elsewhere are going back to normal with a lot of carefulness, like in South Korea (masks etc.). People entering the country are being quarantined, not sure if they're necessarily being tested if otherwise healthy at the end of the fourteen days.

And yeah, international transmission, specially come the next winter, will probably be the main concern once the main outbreaks in the EU and US and elsewhere are through. Restrictions to travel and closed borders will likely linger for quite a while. And that's for the best, really. Everyone likes to travel but everyone dislikes (excess) tourists.

Around the Network
jason1637 said:

I keep on jogging on the trails nearby, every other day, like I always do around this time of year. It's always very quiet here on the trails. I saw about 4 or 5 people total today on my hour jog while it was a pretty nice day for going outside. I usually see more deer than people when I go for a run.

When it warms up I'll be out cycling again. I know plenty empty roads and routes to take, not that the bike trails are usually busy around here. I'm socially distant on a regular day.

Ah, I read the rest of your posts now, NYC, hmm. I can't live in a big city anymore. I would miss my freedom too much, can't stand crowds :/

Last edited by SvennoJ - on 17 March 2020

West Virginia got their first COVID-19 case. Its now spread to all 50 states.

I suggest everyone takes a look at this a lot of valuable information that many countries like the US are using for their response.
I found one bit really intriguing. The report says that with strict restrictions it should begin to peak in 3 weeks and in July the strict restrictions can be lifted for a month but need to be re implemented for 2 months and lifted for a month and implemented for 2 months again until a vaccine is widely available by years end or early 2021.

jason1637 said:

I suggest everyone takes a look at this a lot of valuable information that many countries like the US are using for their response.
I found one bit really intriguing. The report says that with strict restrictions it should begin to peak in 3 weeks and in July the strict restrictions can be lifted for a month but need to be re implemented for 2 months and lifted for a month and implemented for 2 months again until a vaccine is widely available by years end or early 2021.

Interesting study, any mitigation scenario is doomed to fail:

However,this “optimal” mitigation scenario would still result in an 8-fold higher peak demand on critical care beds over and above the available surge capacity in both GB and the US.

Which it says is case isolation, home quarantine and social distancing of those most at risk (the over 70s).

To prevent healthcare system collapse:

Our projections show that to be able to reduce R to close to 1 or below, a combination of case isolation, social distancing of the entire population and either household quarantine or school and university closure are required(Figure 3, Table 4). Measures are assumed to be in place for a 5-month duration. Not accounting for the potential adverse effect on ICU capacity due to absenteeism, school and university closure is predicted to be more effective in achieving suppression than household quarantine. All four interventions combined are predicted to have the largest effect on transmission (Table 4).

Is there no way to coordinate this globally to stop this virus, or after stomping it out in one country, check everything/everyone coming in to stop it from flaring up again. Faster, better tests could be a way out as well, next to a vaccine or medication.

I guess we'll know in a month if it flares up again in China :/

My girlfriends university got a case confirmed.