E3 doesn't need it. 13 13.98%

E3 sucks anyway. 2 2.15%

PSX please! 8 8.60%

State of Play is the superior format. 2 2.15%

PS5 cancelled confirmed. 4 4.30%

But LoD will be there, right? 2 2.15%

Don't have an opinion, but love polls. 2 2.15%

Total:93

Gotta love all of the silly posts saying that E3 is irrelevant or dead now. Sony skipped E3 last year, and yet E3 2019 attendance was just barely down compared to the previous 2 years, and the number of viewers watching the streams for the other conferences were pretty comparable to 2018 (and 2018 was a record year for online viewership of E3 for every conference except for EA). Nintendo and Bethesda saw an increase in viewer counts over 2018 on Twitch. MS saw a decrease on Twitch, but that was only because Mixer viewership grew alot for them compared to previous years, so while Twitch viewership was down by 200k, Mixer viewership was up by far more than 200k, meaning that MS was up YoY in viewership overall. Overall, MS conference came out on top in viewership on Twitch, with 1.5m peak concurrent twitch views, and well over 3m peak concurrent viewers taking into account the official Mixer and Youtube streams, and people watching unofficial reaction streams. Sounds far from irrelevant to me.

E3 is not suddenly irrelevant just because Sony doesn't want to attend anymore. E3 will almost certainly continue to flourish and grow without Sony, while Sony themselves will do just fine focusing on other events like Gamescom, TGS, and PSX, as well as their State of Play streams.

Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 13 January 2020

Around the Network

I think Sony is being dumb and cocky again.  I mean it's one show where tons of gamers pay attention to what is coming out soon.  It seems pretty dumb to turn away from all of that easy marketing attention, especially during a year where they are releasing a new console.  I hope Nintendo and Microsoft put extra effort into their E3 to get even more attention.  This whole thing could very easily backfire on Sony.

The_Liquid_Laser said:

I think Sony is being dumb and cocky again.  I mean it's one show where tons of gamers pay attention to what is coming out soon.  It seems pretty dumb to turn away from all of that easy marketing attention, especially during a year where they are releasing a new console.  I hope Nintendo and Microsoft put extra effort into their E3 to get even more attention.  This whole thing could very easily backfire on Sony.

Don't know about Nintendo, but sources a few days ago were already reporting that MS had heard the rumors about Sony not attending, and were planning to step up their own conference accordingly. If those sources are true, I would expect a pretty big blowout from MS at E3, they'll probably announce a couple more 1st/2nd party games than they originally planned to, and they'll probably make it at least a half an hour longer than they originally planned to, since they'll need to make room for more 3rd parties now that the 3rd parties who don't do their own conferences have no other stage to announce their games on during E3 (unless Sony decides to do a State of Play stream during E3 or something).

Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 13 January 2020

Just glad Nintendo still have respect and attend E3.

Tommy Jean, CPA, CGA

The_Liquid_Laser said:

Depends on the details.  A bad or boring conference not under your control - is not good marketing attention. What I remember from the last Xbox conference is Keanu. A random guest star in a third-party game that will sell better everywhere else.

I rather see Sony take control of their conference. !00% control.

Control the day, control the time. Control what you show, how to show it when you show it. No forced fan interaction etc.

The same people that watch Sony E3 will watch Sonys own conference. This isn't like TV programming where whatever follows the super bowl gets a big boost. You have to find where to watch E3, and when to watch what.

As long as Sony does a good job marketing when their conference is etc - they will get the same crowd. Probably more with no competition and better timing.

• Deadliest mass shooting by an individual in US history (10/01/2017)
  • Deadliest high school shooting in US history (02/14/2018)
  • Deadliest massacre of Jews in US history (10/27/2018)
  • Political assassination attempt of TWO former presidents(and 10+ other people)  (10/23/2018 - and beyond)
Around the Network
yvanjean said:

I wonder what crap you and some others here said when Nintendo decided to stop having a conference a few years ago...

That sucks for E3, nothing can top E3 2015 tho. Sure Sony can have a show, but the other conferences will do the job for them.

Last edited by deskpro2k3 - on 13 January 2020

shikamaru317 said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Don't know about Nintendo, but sources a few days ago were already reporting that MS had heard the rumors about Sony not attending, and were planning to step up their own conference accordingly. If those sources are true, I would expect a pretty big blowout from MS at E3, they'll probably announce a couple more 1st/2nd party games than they originally planned to, and they'll probably make it at least a half an hour longer than they originally planned to, since they'll need to make room for more 3rd parties now that the 3rd parties who don't do their own conferences have no other stage to announce their games on during E3 (unless Sony decides to do a State of Play stream during E3 or something).

People said similar things last year and it didn't change Microsoft's conference much imho 

shikamaru317 said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Makes sense.  I mean Microsoft and Sony are both launching new systems this year.  And PS4 is actually not that far ahead of XB1 in North American sales.  This is kind of Microsoft's opportunity to win back the NA market from Sony.  There are definitely a lot of NA customers that could easily switch back to Microsoft.

As for Nintendo, I would double the length of their normal E3 presentation and show off more of their third party and indie games coming out.  Normally their E3 presentation is 40-45 minutes.  They could put another 40 or so minutes of third party games in that pretty easily.  Switch gets more third party games each year than the last and it got over 1000 games last year.

Basically the time for Nintendo and Microsoft to fight the hardest is this year, because Sony is giving them an opportunity to screw up Sony's launch.  They might as well take it.

Hynad said:
yvanjean said:

I wonder what crap you and some others here said when Nintendo decided to stop having a conference a few years ago...

There a huge difference between not having a conference and skipping E3 all together. I think pre recorded show like Nintendo E3 direct is much better then a press conference. Last year Gears 5 montage on Microsoft stage was just a distraction and really added nothing to their presentation. I'd rather Microsoft would go with lots of pre recorded footage with a few appearance from the head of Microsoft. 

Tommy Jean, CPA, CGA