PSX please! 8 8.60%

State of Play is the superior format. 2 2.15%

PS5 cancelled confirmed. 4 4.30%

But LoD will be there, right? 2 2.15%

Don't have an opinion, but love polls. 2 2.15%

Total:93
DonFerrari said:
Jranation said:

Over a million people would watch Sony conference at e3. Why would they not do one? If they want to save money they can do a direct like nintendo. Maybe they can even have no showfloor and just do a direct. 

They can make a conference, direct, stream or anything in the same day as E3, a week before or after or whenever they like and that would still get the viewership.

We still haven't heard from Sony what are their plans besides "participating in hundreds of other events". Being this the year they release PS5 I doubt they won't do something big to show off.

I guess the more conference/event/direct they do the better. And I guess the money is not the issue here. 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Around the Network
V-r0cK said:
Jranation said:

But Nintendo still have floor at e3. They also do competitions before e3 too like Splatoon, Smash, and super mario maker. 

I understand but it's really just about the conference, that's the real meat of E3.  Since Nintendo's been doing Direct for their own E3 it never really felt that Nintendo was there even if they have the floor, it just felt like fillers instead.

Wow! Cant believe you just said that. 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Barkley said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Nintendo had three major directs last year.  Youtube views from the Nintendo of America videos looks like this:

Feb 13, 2019 Direct  2.7m views
E3 2019 Direct   3.6m views
Sept 4 2019 Direct 2.4m views

They are all of comparable length and content, but the E3 video has about 1m more views and this is North America alone.  There is also an identical Gamespot E3 trailer with 700k views that shows the same thing.  Nintendo got a lot more attention just by releasing their video at E3.  It may not make sense to you, but those are the facts.

E3 gets more eyeballs simply because it is the gaming event of the year.  Even when it's just a prepared video it still gets more attention.

Nintendo's E3 direct having more views than the other directs for the year isn't proof that releasing a video june = more views. The E3 direct has the most views because it is their biggest of the year and expected to be such.

In fact it's remarkable that their other directs are so close to their biggest yearly presentation. If anything I'd take this evidence to show the exact opposite of what you're trying to prove. Their smaller less ambitious directs aren't miles behind their e3 views.

If they hyped a direct as the biggest of the year (as is expected of their e3 direct) rather than just one of several directs I have no doubt they could achieve equal views to their e3 direct at a different time of year in lieu of E3.

The E3 direct had more views due to the actual announcements and public expectations not due to the time it was released. A June release isn't necessary for either high expectations/anticipation nor exciting announcements, it just requires actual hype building which they don't do for their usual directs.

Releasing a video at E3 may be an easy way to cultivate high expectations and a level of importance and thus views, but it is not the only way and it is not necessary.

There is no reason an event outside of E3 HAS to have less views, it depends entirely on how the event is managed and publicised.

But an example of an event outside e3 getting more views...

PS4 Reveal Event (2.8m views) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiNGZMx2vhY

PlayStation e3 2013 (2.4m Views) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmoZAPDV3ew

Though just like your example, this isn't proof of anything.

The best example is the PS4 reveal trailer that they released right after the reveal event in Feb.

It went viral for about a week or so after the event.  Like I have been saying, this is the internet age.  It doesn't take long for info to spread, regardless of where and when it is released.

Jranation said:
V-r0cK said:

I understand but it's really just about the conference, that's the real meat of E3.  Since Nintendo's been doing Direct for their own E3 it never really felt that Nintendo was there even if they have the floor, it just felt like fillers instead.

Wow! Cant believe you just said that. 

Believe it :P  

Jranation said:
DonFerrari said:

They can make a conference, direct, stream or anything in the same day as E3, a week before or after or whenever they like and that would still get the viewership.

We still haven't heard from Sony what are their plans besides "participating in hundreds of other events". Being this the year they release PS5 I doubt they won't do something big to show off.

I guess the more conference/event/direct they do the better. And I guess the money is not the issue here. 

Totally agree, a billionaire company and a successful product like PS won't really be affected financially for dropping some millions on an E3 presentation (perhaps the gain compared to do a similar event that would cost a lot less is negligible but not a real problem).

So yes I would prefer they were in E3 and for me Sony not being there will make E3 not much relevant for me, will just look afterwards for trailers of couple publishers/devs I have interest but won't be in a hurry or hype. And that is almost a crime considering it is the E3 pre new gen.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
Jranation said:

Totally agree, a billionaire company and a successful product like PS won't really be affected financially for dropping some millions on an E3 presentation (perhaps the gain compared to do a similar event that would cost a lot less is negligible but not a real problem).

So yes I would prefer they were in E3 and for me Sony not being there will make E3 not much relevant for me, will just look afterwards for trailers of couple publishers/devs I have interest but won't be in a hurry or hype. And that is almost a crime considering it is the E3 pre new gen.

It was supposed to be an epic e3 with ms and sony revealing their consoles. both doing a few mistakes, then taking back what they did and said two weeks later. xbox head Spencer would say how much he loves everyone and the rivals, showing some tears. Some PS banjo presentation and such. And all that hideous internet commentary. All in a single weekend. This year is less fun now.

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

0D0 said:
DonFerrari said:

It was supposed to be an epic e3 with ms and sony revealing their consoles. both doing a few mistakes, then taking back what they did and said two weeks later. xbox head Spencer would say how much he loves everyone and the rivals, showing some tears. Some PS banjo presentation and such. And all that hideous internet commentary. All in a single weekend. This year is less fun now.

Yep, our console warring will be a little less livery because of Sony.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

0D0 said:
This is the exactly sort of attitude that is ruining this world. Let's replace a live theatre presentation with some pre cooked video with some unknown kind of female robotic voice like on State of Play. Or even cheaper, let's replace everything with just a playlist of trailers.That's why good wood furniture was replaced by cheap furniture that don't last 3 years. That's why glass bottled coke was replaced by cheap plastic bottles that ruin the seas and cause cancer or whatever. That's why shoes that could last 10 years were replaced by Nike crap. Well, not exactly, but you know what I mean?I do get the people that don't give a damm about e3. It's a matter of choice and taste. But I believe that certain decisions don't have to be made just because there's youtube and it sort of solves all problems.

Perhaps you are getting a little bit carried away and losing yourself somewhere deep in the meanders of the point you are trying to make my friend.

Don't you think that saying that my "attitude" is ruining the world, is a tiny bit too much of an overstatement?

For reasons that are totally off-topic here I'm all in favor of ruining/destroying the entire world so if a simple attitude was enough to do that, you and the other 7.8 billion humans would be long gone, that much I can tell you.

Also I don't think I agree with your analogy. Replacing quality furniture by cheap furniture has a very real effect which is, it not lasting as much and not being as reliable as the quality version of that stuff, but replacing an E3 conference with a State of Play or any other video with the SAME information imparted with the public does not change in any form or manner the quality of said information. Revealing a game, a trailer or specs for the PS5 at E3 or in a Youtube video does not change the nature or quality of what is revealed. It's the same thing.

You cannot say: the hardware specs revealed at E3 are amazing vs they suck if the same specs had been revealed in a State of Play. At best you can say it was more fun to watch them at E3 but that is all.

Now having said that I wish to add that I understand your enthusiasm, I actually share it but you cannot deny that it's way more practical (and cheap) for Sony to reveal their stuff in videos or live presentations at a date of THEIR choosing and not at a date imposed by an event they do not control.

Last edited by CrazyGamer2017 - on 19 January 2020

CrazyGamer2017 said:
0D0 said:
This is the exactly sort of attitude that is ruining this world. Let's replace a live theatre presentation with some pre cooked video with some unknown kind of female robotic voice like on State of Play. Or even cheaper, let's replace everything with just a playlist of trailers.That's why good wood furniture was replaced by cheap furniture that don't last 3 years. That's why glass bottled coke was replaced by cheap plastic bottles that ruin the seas and cause cancer or whatever. That's why shoes that could last 10 years were replaced by Nike crap. Well, not exactly, but you know what I mean?I do get the people that don't give a damm about e3. It's a matter of choice and taste. But I believe that certain decisions don't have to be made just because there's youtube and it sort of solves all problems.

Perhaps you are getting a little bit carried away and losing yourself somewhere deep in the meanders of the point you are trying to make my friend.

Don't you think that saying that my "attitude" is ruining the world, is a tiny bit too much of an overstatement?

For reasons that are totally off-topic here I'm all in favor of ruining/destroying the entire world so if a simple attitude was enough to do that, you and the other 7.8 billion humans would be long gone, that much I can tell you.

Also I don't think I agree with your analogy. Replacing quality furniture by cheap furniture has a very real effect which is, it not lasting as much and not being as reliable as the quality version of that stuff, but replacing an E3 conference with a State of Play or any other video with the SAME information imparted with the public does not change in any form or manner the quality of said information. Revealing a game, a trailer or specs for the PS5 at E3 or in a Youtube video does not change the nature or quality of what is revealed. It's the same thing.

You cannot say: the hardware specs revealed at E3 are amazing vs they suck if the same specs had been revealed in a State of Play. At best you can say it was more fun to watch them at E3 but that is all.

Now having said that I wish to add that I understand your enthusiasm, I actually share it but you cannot deny that it's way more practical (and cheap) for Sony to reveal their stuff in videos or live presentations at a date of THEIR choosing and not at a date imposed by an event they do not control.

Attitude meaning the corporate attitude of making everything cheaper. Not your attitude.

The topic is full of arguments like "why a corporation like sony should throw money at E3 when you can just upload a youtube video and get 9 billion views". Well, that's the attitude of skipping an industry conference to just go cheaper that I'm criticising (the exact point that I had highlighted in your post when I quoted). Even though I'm not saying that that was the real reason behind Sony's decision.

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

V-r0cK said:
Jranation said:

But Nintendo still have floor at e3. They also do competitions before e3 too like Splatoon, Smash, and super mario maker. 

Birth to the highest-rated game of the generation and the best game of the decade