By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Rumor: Nintendo plans to launch a new Switch SKU in 2020 - UPDATE: Nintendo says no

 

What will the new Switch model be?

Switch 2 4 5.80%
 
Switch Pro 33 47.83%
 
Switch XL 6 8.70%
 
Switch TV 9 13.04%
 
Switch Mini (clamshell) 0 0%
 
Something else 6 8.70%
 
No new SKU in 2020 11 15.94%
 
Total:69
JRPGfan said:
RolStoppable said:

$149? That's not hope, that's wishful thinking.

Without the screen and dock, battery? probably possible tbh.

Imo $149 is the price Nintendo can sell it during the holidays if it doesnt do to well. 



Pocky Lover Boy! 

Around the Network
Nu-13 said:
NextGen_Gamer said:

You are forgetting what makes the Switch special - it's a handheld and a console. I focused on just the SoC improvements in my first post - but remember a Switch Pro model would be better in other ways. How about a 7" OLED 1080p panel - a MASSIVE upgrade over the 6.5" 720p LCD in the base Switch, and completely doable from a price-point perspective in a $399 model.

As a current Switch owner, I would be tempted to upgrade based on a bigger 1080p OLED panel alone, even with the same processing power lol

Perhaps better sounding stereo speakers? Stronger HD rumble? Heck, maybe even built-in 4G LTE? Lots of routes Nintendo could take that would make it worthwhile to hardcore gamers, on top of a SoC power increase.

That's completely unreasonable. You ain't getting a 1080p screen until the switch 2. The most that could be expected for a hypothetical switch plus is a tegra x2 instead of x1, allowing most games to run in 1080p docked and 720p docked. It would also cost $299 at launch.

1080p panel costs dick all, I wouldn't actually be surprised if Nintendo really gets little/no cost savings with a 720p screen because 720p screens are actually more rare these days. Even rinky dink cheap ass budget phones these days have 1080p screens. 

But a 1080p screen doesn't come close to justifying a $100 unit premium. 



RolStoppable said:
Nu-13 said:

Why is switch 2 in the poll? I would hope nintendo releases a switch lite this year.

Because I don't discriminate against trolls.

Why not? Let them burn lol



Soundwave said:
Nu-13 said:

That's completely unreasonable. You ain't getting a 1080p screen until the switch 2. The most that could be expected for a hypothetical switch plus is a tegra x2 instead of x1, allowing most games to run in 1080p docked and 720p docked. It would also cost $299 at launch.

1080p panel costs dick all, I wouldn't actually be surprised if Nintendo really gets little/no cost savings with a 720p screen because 720p screens are actually more rare these days. Even rinky dink cheap ass budget phones these days have 1080p screens. 

But a 1080p screen doesn't come close to justifying a $100 unit premium. 

I'm not talking about costs of a 1080p screen. The games that push the switch usually get 480-540p docked. It would make more sense for this hypothetical hardware revision to just make sure those games hit 720p most of the time instead of pushing for a resolution that would require a lot more power. It would also be a huge battery drainer.



Nu-13 said:
Soundwave said:

1080p panel costs dick all, I wouldn't actually be surprised if Nintendo really gets little/no cost savings with a 720p screen because 720p screens are actually more rare these days. Even rinky dink cheap ass budget phones these days have 1080p screens. 

But a 1080p screen doesn't come close to justifying a $100 unit premium. 

I'm not talking about costs of a 1080p screen. The games that push the switch usually get 480-540p docked. It would make more sense for this hypothetical hardware revision to just make sure those games hit 720p most of the time instead of pushing for a resolution that would require a lot more power. It would also be a huge battery drainer.

There has to be some kind of hardware upgrade that's reasonably significant for any of this to make sense. 

What's the point otherwise, they just released a new model Switch with better battery life and they released a smaller model that is more pocket friendly ... so a third actual Switch that isn't some lame home only version would have to do something beyond the existing two models. 



Around the Network
Jranation said:
JRPGfan said:

Without the screen and dock, battery? probably possible tbh.

Imo $149 is the price Nintendo can sell it during the holidays if it doesnt do to well. 

Switch lite is 199$.
A switch tv, should be cheaper to make imo.
I dont think 149$ is out of the question for it.



I am thinking a Switch "Pro" like device, which would be in line with my previous prediction. As I said before, my prediction was not specifically about small upgrades exactly, so this is only a potential step in the direction I was talking about. Ultimately, a potential Switch 2 much further down the line will be telling if I was truly correct or not.

I also stand by the possibility that Nintendo will allow 3rd parties to make versions of more demanding games for this model only, if the base Switch cannot run it. The amount of 3rd parties that would actually do this however would be in question however, due to a multitude of reasons.

What I DON'T  think it will be is a Switch TV, unless it offers a more substantial boost than a potential Switch Pro would.  Also despite being more powerful than a Switch, do not expect any extea 3rd party next gen ports to be exclusive to it.  At that point, being tied to a TV gets rid of any reason to go with the Switch version of ANYTHING unless it is your only device as even with a proper boost, it still will not run as good as other devices tied to a TV.  Meanwhile a potential Switch Pro still has the ability to push portability as a factor, which is why exclusive 3rd party ports would make sense on a full Switch Pro rather than a Switch TV.

Last edited by Shiken - on 06 January 2020

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Slownenberg said:
RolStoppable said:

Definitely $199 minimum for a hypothetical Switch TV, but such a console may as well be modified and ditch the SSD storage in favor of an HDD because portability doesn't need to be considered anymore. For example, Switch TV with a 500 GB HDD and Pro Controller for $249-279.

Hmm yeah interesting, I wonder if they will make a TV-only Switch. I'm guessing there have gotta be a few million gamers who like the Switch but don't ever take it outside their home, and for those that have already bought a Switch might even buy a TV-only version if it gave superior performance on top notch games like Zelda. If Nintendo did go this route, I agree that they'd probably sell it for $250 with a much larger hard drive, and offer whatever slight upgrades needed to make something like Zelda run at peak performance.

I think it's more likely we'll see a premium version of the OG Switch though, rather than a TV-only version. Bigger hard drive, slightly improved performance, maybe bigger higher res screen, with the battery capacity of the updated model of the original. The only thing is where would they price this? Would they finally give Switch a price cut and put the premium version at $300? Or would they keep Switch at $300 since it is selling faster than anything since Wii/DS and sell the premium one for like $350? I feel like a higher price point than $300 would kinda kill sales. My guess is a price cut to $250 for the original, and a premium version with more disk space, slightly improved performance, and bigger better screen for $300.

A revision of the hybrid Switch is also a realistic option, but a bigger SSD would only come if mass orders for a higher capactity than the current 32 GB would be cheaper; otherwise, there won't be a change because Switch is compatible with micro SD cards that are getting bigger capacities and cheaper each and every year. I wouldn't expect increased performance either, but a higher quality screen is a straight-forward upgrade that makes sense. Given that this rumored new Switch model is completely unspecified, there's a good chance that it might not be very different to what is on the market now.

Regardless of what it is (IF there is a new SKU this year), I very much doubt that it will feature a price outside of the current range of $199-299.



Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Shipments

i'll wait for the next zelda before i buy one



Shiken said:

I am thinking a Switch "Pro" like device, which would be in line with my previous prediction. As I said before, my prediction was not specifically about small upgrades exactly, so this is only a potential step in the direction I was talking about. Ultimately, a potential Switch 2 much further down the line will be telling if I was truly correct or not.

I also stand by the possibility that Nintendo will allow 3rd parties to make versions of more demanding games for this model only, if the base Switch cannot run it. The amount of 3rd parties that would actually do this however would be in question however, due to a multitude of reasons.

What I DON'T  think it will be is a Switch TV, unless it offers a more substantial boost than a potential Switch Pro would.  Also despite being more powerful than a Switch, do not expect any extea 3rd party next gen ports to be exclusive to it.  At that point, being tied to a TV gets rid of any reason to go with the Switch version of ANYTHING unless it is your only device as even with a proper boost, it still will not run as good as other devices tied to a TV.  Meanwhile a potential Switch Pro still has the ability to push portability as a factor, which is why exclusive 3rd party ports would make sense on a full Switch Pro rather than a Switch TV.

Why again would third parties develop ports exclusively for the very small installed base of a hypothetical Switch Pro or Switch TV?



Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Shipments