By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Rumor: Nintendo plans to launch a new Switch SKU in 2020 - UPDATE: Nintendo says no

What will the new Switch model be?

Switch 2 4 5.80%

Switch Pro 33 47.83%

Switch XL 6 8.70%

Switch TV 9 13.04%

Switch Mini (clamshell) 0 0%

Something else 6 8.70%

No new SKU in 2020 11 15.94%

Total:69

If they were to do a "Switch Pro" with better specs, the way they could get around the issue of splintered userbase is to do this

Pro Switch Specs:

393 GFLOPS undocked (which is the current Switch's docked performance)
800 GFLOPS docked (new higher performance mode for TV)

So old Switch models can't run these games, right? Well not neccessarily.

You can run these games on the older Switch models, but only the 393 GFLOP profile version of the game would run. This isn't impossible, it would just necessitate a battery pak when you are playing portably.

But this is really not a big deal, one can buy a 4500 MaH battery bank for $15, Nintendo could even offer an official one.

This way, games would run across all models, but the Pro model would be getting the better docked home performance is all.

Homebrewers on Switch are able to to get the undocked Switch to run at docked speed ... the system is fine, it doesn't overheat or anything. They're doing stuff like getting The Witcher 3 running at 60 fps undocked. It's just you lose battery life and that could be fairly easily augmented because batteries are dirt cheap and widely available. 

Last edited by Soundwave - on 06 January 2020

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Shiken said:

I am thinking a Switch "Pro" like device, which would be in line with my previous prediction. As I said before, my prediction was not specifically about small upgrades exactly, so this is only a potential step in the direction I was talking about. Ultimately, a potential Switch 2 much further down the line will be telling if I was truly correct or not.

I also stand by the possibility that Nintendo will allow 3rd parties to make versions of more demanding games for this model only, if the base Switch cannot run it. The amount of 3rd parties that would actually do this however would be in question however, due to a multitude of reasons.

What I DON'T  think it will be is a Switch TV, unless it offers a more substantial boost than a potential Switch Pro would.  Also despite being more powerful than a Switch, do not expect any extea 3rd party next gen ports to be exclusive to it.  At that point, being tied to a TV gets rid of any reason to go with the Switch version of ANYTHING unless it is your only device as even with a proper boost, it still will not run as good as other devices tied to a TV.  Meanwhile a potential Switch Pro still has the ability to push portability as a factor, which is why exclusive 3rd party ports would make sense on a full Switch Pro rather than a Switch TV.

Why again would third parties develop ports exclusively for the very small installed base of a hypothetical Switch Pro or Switch TV?

Well essentially a Switch Pro would pick up 3rd party games that the current model isn't even getting. If this system does come out months before PS5 and Series X, but has the Switch OG hype pushing it through the holiday season. Theres a good chance even starting a zero, it could garner a pretty sizable install base in comparison to Sony and Microsoft.  A good chunk of original Switch owners would gladly upgrade to a worthwhile refresh if its an option...

RolStoppable said:
Shiken said:

I am thinking a Switch "Pro" like device, which would be in line with my previous prediction. As I said before, my prediction was not specifically about small upgrades exactly, so this is only a potential step in the direction I was talking about. Ultimately, a potential Switch 2 much further down the line will be telling if I was truly correct or not.

I also stand by the possibility that Nintendo will allow 3rd parties to make versions of more demanding games for this model only, if the base Switch cannot run it. The amount of 3rd parties that would actually do this however would be in question however, due to a multitude of reasons.

What I DON'T  think it will be is a Switch TV, unless it offers a more substantial boost than a potential Switch Pro would.  Also despite being more powerful than a Switch, do not expect any extea 3rd party next gen ports to be exclusive to it.  At that point, being tied to a TV gets rid of any reason to go with the Switch version of ANYTHING unless it is your only device as even with a proper boost, it still will not run as good as other devices tied to a TV.  Meanwhile a potential Switch Pro still has the ability to push portability as a factor, which is why exclusive 3rd party ports would make sense on a full Switch Pro rather than a Switch TV.

Why again would third parties develop ports exclusively for the very small installed base of a hypothetical Switch Pro or Switch TV?

3rd parties would not do it for a Switch TV.  The main reason anyone would buy those games (portability) would no longer be a factor, and therefore pointless as it would still likely perform similar at BEST to the base PS4.

They would allow 3rd parties to do it for a Switch Pro however, because being a smaller install base out of the gate does not really mean much.  If a smaller starting install base being a problem were true, devs would not bother to dev games for next gen consoles out of the gate either.

As far as how many 3rd party devs would actually do this, I have no comment on as it is hard to say.  It would be a risk taken on a popular hybrid concept, and it would be up to the developer to decide if they want to take said risk or not.  I simply saying Nintendo would ALLOW them to do it.  Continued support would be based on how well the "pro" model would sell, and how well the software sells for the 3rd party devs that gave it a shot.  Remember, many thought no one would buy games like Witcher 3 or Mortal Kombat on Switch...but here we are in a time when both have sold at least fairly decent based on top 30 digital games and developer reports.

That is not the exact same situation, but my point is that if there is potential, there will be at least some that test the waters.  Where it goes from there is anyone's guess.

However it is also safe to say that devs would be more inclined to at least try to make such ports run on the OG model as well due to the established install base, and that only releasing a "pro only" version would be a last resort.

Last edited by Shiken - on 06 January 2020

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Soundwave said:

If they were to do a "Switch Pro" with better specs, the way they could get around the issue of splintered userbase is to do this

Pro Switch Specs:

You can run these games on the older Switch models, but only the 393 GFLOP profile version of the game would run. This isn't impossible, it would just necessitate a battery pak when you are playing portably.

But this is really not a big deal, one can buy a 4500 MaH battery bank for $15, Nintendo could even offer an official one.

This way, games would run across all models, but the Pro model would be getting the better docked home performance is all.

Homebrewers on Switch are able to to get the undocked Switch to run at docked speed ... the system is fine, it doesn't overheat or anything. They're doing stuff like getting The Witcher 3 running at 60 fps undocked. It's just you lose battery life and that could be fairly easily augmented because batteries are dirt cheap and widely available. 

The Lite would melt though.

Switch is underclocked. Most of Nintendo's big games already run @1080p60 so wouldn't need a boost however it would give 3rd parties an option to patch or make exclusives for stock/overclocked speeds on a Switch-TV that isn't constrained by heat anymore.

edit-they wouldn't necessarily be exclusive, they'd just run and look like crap in portable mode.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Soundwave said:

Pro Switch Specs:

That sounds like a terrible idea or something that would be reserved for very few exclusives like the new 3ds.

Around the Network
Ck1x said:
RolStoppable said:

Well essentially a Switch Pro would pick up 3rd party games that the current model isn't even getting. If this system does come out months before PS5 and Series X, but has the Switch OG hype pushing it through the holiday season. Theres a good chance even starting a zero, it could garner a pretty sizable install base in comparison to Sony and Microsoft.  A good chunk of original Switch owners would gladly upgrade to a worthwhile refresh if its an option...

People really need to stop with this. Hardware isn't the reason switch isn't getting certain games and even if it was, the switch is what it is. Games exclusive to a hardware revision are very niche due to limited installed base.

Nu-13 said:
Soundwave said:

Pro Switch Specs:

That sounds like a terrible idea or something that would be reserved for very few exclusives like the new 3ds.

^ that.

You would end up with a new 3DS like version then, which most likely ever only gets a handfull of games the normal Switch cant run.

Nu-13 said:
Ck1x said:

People really need to stop with this. Hardware isn't the reason switch isn't getting certain games and even if it was, the switch is what it is. Games exclusive to a hardware revision are very niche due to limited installed base.

Please understand, I'm not saying that these games can't run at all, but who has the time to down port these games? Look at some of these GoTY nominees that we had this year, while the Switch is at 40+ million, these people would absolutely love to have a Switch version as an option. Hardware limitations are definitely a major issue of why it takes so long to port these games over, we can't pretend like these things don't exist. If the current Switch had 6 CPU cores and 8GB of RAM, things would probably be a lot diffrent in getting these 3rd party games up and running. 

RolStoppable said:
Slownenberg said:

Hmm yeah interesting, I wonder if they will make a TV-only Switch. I'm guessing there have gotta be a few million gamers who like the Switch but don't ever take it outside their home, and for those that have already bought a Switch might even buy a TV-only version if it gave superior performance on top notch games like Zelda. If Nintendo did go this route, I agree that they'd probably sell it for $250 with a much larger hard drive, and offer whatever slight upgrades needed to make something like Zelda run at peak performance.

I think it's more likely we'll see a premium version of the OG Switch though, rather than a TV-only version. Bigger hard drive, slightly improved performance, maybe bigger higher res screen, with the battery capacity of the updated model of the original. The only thing is where would they price this? Would they finally give Switch a price cut and put the premium version at $300? Or would they keep Switch at $300 since it is selling faster than anything since Wii/DS and sell the premium one for like $350? I feel like a higher price point than $300 would kinda kill sales. My guess is a price cut to $250 for the original, and a premium version with more disk space, slightly improved performance, and bigger better screen for $300.

A revision of the hybrid Switch is also a realistic option, but a bigger SSD would only come if mass orders for a higher capactity than the current 32 GB would be cheaper; otherwise, there won't be a change because Switch is compatible with micro SD cards that are getting bigger capacities and cheaper each and every year. I wouldn't expect increased performance either, but a higher quality screen is a straight-forward upgrade that makes sense. Given that this rumored new Switch model is completely unspecified, there's a good chance that it might not be very different to what is on the market now.

Regardless of what it is (IF there is a new SKU this year), I very much doubt that it will feature a price outside of the current range of $199-299.

Well I'm just thinking they need to make enough improvements in a premium Switch to actually differentiate it and have it be worth the extra cost of purchase. A little bit better screen by itself is not worth it. A bigger screen, runs Switch games a bit better, plus less need to have an SD card would be worth it to some. If they don't make several upgrades there isn't really a point in releasing a premium version of the Switch. I agree on price, I think if they drop a premium version of the Switch it will take over the $300 price and the original will drop to $250. Leading up to the launch of new systems it makes sense to make the price of the full Switch (not the Lite) more competitive while maintaining the full price point into the future for those who want they best experience with bigger screen and games running more smoothly or at higher res for those games whose res is a bit lower.

Or it'll be a Switch VR! haha

Nu-13 said:
Soundwave said:

Pro Switch Specs:

Why? $15 battery pak for OG Switch owners is a pretty fucking low bar to ask for if it opens the system up to having a dramatically better library as Nintendo's IP library dries up a bit (can't sustain sales just with the same 7 or 8 IP over and over again). Every Switch owner would benefit.