By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Rumor: Nintendo plans to launch a new Switch SKU in 2020 - UPDATE: Nintendo says no

What will the new Switch model be?

Switch 2 4 5.80%

Switch Pro 33 47.83%

Switch XL 6 8.70%

Switch TV 9 13.04%

Switch Mini (clamshell) 0 0%

Something else 6 8.70%

No new SKU in 2020 11 15.94%

Total:69

Just like the portable Fixed we got last year, the Switch family will have a stationary Fixed.

There is more to gain from a SwitchTV than a Switch+.

Last edited by TomaTito - on 13 January 2020

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Slownenberg said:

Except it wasn't a "Pro", it was just the same original Switch with slight improvements. The Pro rumors turned out to be wrong and instead it was just the original Switch getting small internal improvements.. Companies normally do these types of updates, make a slightly more efficient version, usually reduces their cost too, and just swaps out the older model with the new model, usually no one even noticed cuz it's still the same model. It's not a different retail version, its just a small update to the same thing. A "Pro", or whatever, means a new retail item, with significant enhancements over the original and will cost more than whatever the current original Switch's price is when it comes out.

A "Pro" would probably mean improved game performance, larger screen, perhaps another improvement in battery capacity, larger internal storage, and a few small tweaks to the design to make it look like a new item, coming in at a higher price.

As far as a digital only version, I don't think it is very likely at all. A Switch "Pro" or a Switch Home/TV is far more likely. I doubt a digital only Switch would be very popular. I mean I try to pretty much only buy digital, but even I have 5 physical games now. Taking away a big advantage (physical games) wouldn't save a whole lot of money in the design of the system, and I think consumers would see that as a net negative compared to any price reductions. And it wouldn't be much of a price reduction because a digital only version would need a much larger internal storage.

In the end the Switch lineup will likely be Lite, "Pro", OG (if the Pro doesn't just entirely replace this), and maybe a "Home/TV". Lite and Home would have similar pricing at $200 for the foreseeable future, Pro would be $300 and if OG is still around it'd be $250 but honestly I think the OG would just be discontinued like the original 3DS a while after the Pro hit the market.

For your information, last year actually had no Pro rumors. The actual rumor was that Nintendo would launch a modest upgrade and additionally it was explicitly said that said upgrade was not going to be a Pro - the moniker "Pro" is unsurprisingly understood as an upgrade equal to what the PS4 Pro was to the PS4. Despite the clarity of the rumor, the internet decided to label the upgrade as Pro and eventually virtually everyone believed that a Pro was coming because that's how people kept calling it. That's why I mocked the gaming community in my thread about the confirmed modest Switch upgrade last year. ("Here's your Switch Pro.")

You can already see the same thing being in the making with NintendoSoup labeling the rumored new Switch model "Pro" despite no indicators for a Pro whatsoever.

As for the point of a digital-only version, there wouldn't be price reduction for it at all because retailers wouldn't stock it without getting a much higher than normal cut for selling it; after all, digital-only means no physical game sales for retailers. It's completely unreasonable to expect Nintendo to heavily subsidize a digital-only Switch like Microsoft has been doing with the SAD SKU.

I'm hoping for a $199 Switch TV, I havent taken my hybrid model out of the dock ever since I got the Lite so I would probably trade that in and go with Lite+TV combo.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Slownenberg said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

To make gradual improvements.  

There were rumors last year about a "Switch Pro" and all this pro model had were some modest improvements to the base Switch.  I wouldn't be surprised if they do the same thing again.

Except it wasn't a "Pro", it was just the same original Switch with slight improvements. The Pro rumors turned out to be wrong and instead it was just the original Switch getting small internal improvements.. Companies normally do these types of updates, make a slightly more efficient version, usually reduces their cost too, and just swaps out the older model with the new model, usually no one even noticed cuz it's still the same model. It's not a different retail version, its just a small update to the same thing. A "Pro", or whatever, means a new retail item, with significant enhancements over the original and will cost more than whatever the current original Switch's price is when it comes out.

A "Pro" would probably mean improved game performance, larger screen, perhaps another improvement in battery capacity, larger internal storage, and a few small tweaks to the design to make it look like a new item, coming in at a higher price.

As far as a digital only version, I don't think it is very likely at all. A Switch "Pro" or a Switch Home/TV is far more likely. I doubt a digital only Switch would be very popular. I mean I try to pretty much only buy digital, but even I have 5 physical games now. Taking away a big advantage (physical games) wouldn't save a whole lot of money in the design of the system, and I think consumers would see that as a net negative compared to any price reductions. And it wouldn't be much of a price reduction because a digital only version would need a much larger internal storage.

In the end the Switch lineup will likely be Lite, "Pro", OG (if the Pro doesn't just entirely replace this), and maybe a "Home/TV". Lite and Home would have similar pricing at $200 for the foreseeable future, Pro would be $300 and if OG is still around it'd be $250 but honestly I think the OG would just be discontinued like the original 3DS a while after the Pro hit the market.

I bolded the part where you get it.  Now just apply that same reasoning to this year too.

My prediction for Switch Pro

-Faster CPU
-Same Mariko X1 chip but the clock has been adjusted higher than the base model to achieve ~600Gflops in dock mode and ~393Gflops in undocked mode thx to magnesium built of switch console design.
-6GB of Ram
-64GB of internal storage
-Boost mode to old games for higher graphical resolution and performance.
-Old games needed patches to unlock higher screen resolution cap and the new games will have Auto adjustment.
-$399

Switch-TV
$129-$149 (after selling surplus joycons).
Permanent boost mode for faster loading times.
Support for SSD for even fasterer loading times.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Around the Network

A $399 Switch Pro just sounds like a mistake to me, a much improved standard Switch still at $299 with BETTER joycons would make a lot more sense. Also a Switch TV for $229 with a pro controller and bundled game would be nice as well though I think 2020 is too soon for it, maybe 2021...

RolStoppable said:

Digitimes has claimed that Nintendo is beginning production for a new Nintendo Switch model by the end of Q1 2020, which is around late March 2020. This unannounced new model is expected to launch in mid 2020. Digitimes says that the information comes from upstream supply chain sources.

Sources: NintendoSoup Digitimes

Important notes: The NintendoSoup article runs a Switch Pro headline, but the Pro part is 100% speculation on NintendoSoup's part without anything to back it up, so I removed it in order to accurately represent the actual content of the rumor. Last year Digitimes reported on a cheaper Switch SKU based on similar sources which ended up being true (Switch Lite).

The handheld market is already covered with last year's launch of Switch Lite, the hybrid SKU also received an internal upgrade in 2019. This narrows down what this new mystery SKU could be, provided the rumor turns out to be true. Aside from the ever popular demands for a Switch Pro with notably increased processing power, a cheaper TV-only SKU without an upgrade to processing power is also in the cards after last year's cheaper handheld-only SKU. Since Digitimes didn't specify anything about this new SKU, speculation can take a variety of directions.

So is this the Animal crossing Switch edition?

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

Not surprised, Nintendo has you by the childhoodz and they know it. Stay the course, they have zero incentive to rerelease what they have now

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles.