By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Ricky Gervais kicks off the Golden Globes telling Hollywood to f*** off

vivster said:

I do love Ricky, but that little rant is superficial, hypocritical and just plain stupid. It ignores how this world and humans work.

His heart is at the right place and people love it because he's mean to rich people, but it's very much misguided and attacking the wrong people.

Fun little side fact: 90% of what people call political topics are not political at all, but simply humanitarian issues. It's just that certain assholes make it political because they don't know what compassion is.

He specifically called out Apple, Amazon and Disney. The actors/actresses that work for them would be considered hypocrites if they got on their soap box and preached about humanitarian issues because they enable those companies to continue their unethical practices while also making a fortune off them.

The celebrities he called out are very much in the wrong because they have the money, prestige and freedom to do something substantial and/or just not work for unethical companies but instead they fake like they care and benefit off of said companies.

Last edited by tsogud - on 06 January 2020

Around the Network
tsogud said:
vivster said:

I do love Ricky, but that little rant is superficial, hypocritical and just plain stupid. It ignores how this world and humans work.

His heart is at the right place and people love it because he's mean to rich people, but it's very much misguided and attacking the wrong people.

Fun little side fact: 90% of what people call political topics are not political at all, but simply humanitarian issues. It's just that certain assholes make it political because they don't know what compassion is.

He specifically called out Apple, Amazon and Disney. The actors/actresses that work for them would be considered hypocrites if they got on their soap box and preached about humanitarian issues because they enable those companies to continue their unethical practices while also making a fortune off them.

The celebrities he called out are very much in the wrong because they have the money, prestige and freedom to do something substantial and/or just not work for unethical companies but instead they fake like they care and benefit off of said companies.

Yep and I are thorn between 2 hypothesis, they are dumb and don't know these companies that preach on the SJW agenda act exactly the opposite as corporation internally (the content is SJW, but the practices are worse than the worse offenders they demean publicly... like talk about tax break on the riches being bad, demanding corporations pay more tax but doing their best to avoid paying any) or if they also do pandering to agenda to earn fame and money while not believing and acting opposite in their private lives. I would say there are a good chunk on both camps, perhaps even 50/50.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

tsogud said:
vivster said:

Which is funny because the soap box he used is very much sponsored by shitty companies.

Being hypocrites isn't the worst thing in the world, the things he called out are way worse. There is almost no way for any person to not be hypocritical when trying to judge others. However those hypocrites have the biggest platforms and it doesn't matter how hypocritical they are if it does indeed make a difference. I mean what's the end goal here? For everyone who is a hypocrite to shut up about obvious issues? Well, great, because then exactly the shitty companies who he lamented about have won.

Being a perfect human being is not how the world works. The world works because sometimes even the biggest assholes chip in. This world would be completely fucked if we declined help from hypocrites. Religion is a scam, yet many people depend on their charity, people who only spend money to charity to increase their social credit are important. Yes there are a lot of assholes out there, but you know what would be really stupid? Decrying the few positive things they do.

Basically what Ricky said was fine, but his conclusion is incredibly stupid and will do more harm than good.

Last edited by vivster - on 06 January 2020

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Hollywood movie stars have the exact same rights to use their platforms for their views as North Carolina and Texas preachers do, only the pulpits of the latter are tax-exempt, The latter are at least as hypocritical as the former. Also kind of hypocritical for Gervais to be calling people out when he's also biting the hand that feeds him, as Vivster noted.

Ricky Gervais has always been like this. In fact, that monologue seemed a little tame for him.

But maybe he is unknown in the US? Is this your introduction to him?

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network

Just as great as i remember him from gta4.

vivster said:
tsogud said:

Which is funny because the soap box he used is very much sponsored by shitty companies.

Being hypocrites isn't the worst thing in the world, the things he called out are way worse. There is almost no way for any person to not be hypocritical when trying to judge others. However those hypocrites have the biggest platforms and it doesn't matter how hypocritical they are if it does indeed make a difference. I mean what's the end goal here? For everyone who is a hypocrite to shut up about obvious issues? Well, great, because then exactly the shitty companies who he lamented about have won.

Being a perfect human being is not how the world works. The world works because sometimes even the biggest assholes chip in. This world would be completely fucked if we declined help from hypocrites. Religion is a scam, yet many people depend on their charity, people who only spend money to charity to increase their social credit are important. Yes there are a lot of assholes out there, but you know what would be really stupid? Decrying the few positive things they do.

Basically what Ricky said was fine, but his conclusion is incredibly stupid and will do more harm than good.

It reminds me of the tesla episode in south park of every one being smug and polluting in different ways even worse.

This callout in advance kept the smugness from happening and still setting a statement for a better world.

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

I like Ricky Gervais but his sthick is old. At the end of the show he told people to donate to Australia, which a lot of the other celebs on the show mentioned as well. How is he not a hypocrite?

There was nothing cool or edgy about his speech. In fact many celebs ignored him and carried on with what they wanted to say anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

Signalstar said:
I like Ricky Gervais but his sthick is old. At the end of the show he told people to donate to Australia, which a lot of the other celebs on the show mentioned as well. How is he not a hypocrite?

There was nothing cool or edgy about his speech. In fact many celebs ignored him and carried on with what they wanted to say anyway.

By yelling at Hollywood for being smug and self-righteous, he helped cheer the bitter hearts of a bunch of smug and self-righteous Midwesterners.

This was the best thing in a long time. This preaching by pretentious and clueless Hollywood celebs is so infuriating and cringe, oh my god. Just say thanks and fuck off, that's about right.
Ricky said this would be his last time, so there was no reason to hold back. God bless him.