By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox Empire - Game Pass Surpasses 18m Subscribers

SvennoJ said:
AkimboCurly said:

From a marketing perspective, the price increase was about squeezing more Gold users onto Game Pass, not about increasing the number of free games and increasing the value proposition per se. 

konnichiwa said:

Gamers won!

Won what exactly?

Instead of achieving their goals (moving more people to game pass and/or increasing revenue from those sticking to gold) they now effectively made gold more expensive for them (set a higher expectation for the free games) while removing the F2P barrier, thus less people will get gold.

Basically moving away further from making Gamepass viable long term, or rather expediting having to increase GP subscription fees.

So far it seems only Nintendo has figured out how to make a profit in the gaming business, while Sony (barely) manages to break even and MS keeps on investing into potential profits later on. Great for gamers right now, enjoy the golden age while it lasts.

There's no defense for the nearly doubling the price like the initial plan was. But you have to wonder what will come next. Such a move comes from somewhere, and having not achieved those goals, some other way will be found.

And are you really applauding that? The kind of things Nintendo gets away with makes me sick.

And you are correct, there was no defense for MS nearly doubling the price like they initially intended, but at least they have shown once more that they actually listen.

Around the Network

Long tweet chain to go with it.

Also "Acquisition of IP"

SvennoJ said:
AkimboCurly said:

From a marketing perspective, the price increase was about squeezing more Gold users onto Game Pass, not about increasing the number of free games and increasing the value proposition per se. 

konnichiwa said:

Gamers won!

Won what exactly?

Instead of achieving their goals (moving more people to game pass and/or increasing revenue from those sticking to gold) they now effectively made gold more expensive for them (set a higher expectation for the free games) while removing the F2P barrier, thus less people will get gold.

Basically moving away further from making Gamepass viable long term, or rather expediting having to increase GP subscription fees.

So far it seems only Nintendo has figured out how to make a profit in the gaming business, while Sony (barely) manages to break even and MS keeps on investing into potential profits later on. Great for gamers right now, enjoy the golden age while it lasts.

There's no defense for the nearly doubling the price like the initial plan was. But you have to wonder what will come next. Such a move comes from somewhere, and having not achieved those goals, some other way will be found.

Some people will probably never move to GamePass and will just continue to pay for Gold to access multiplayer. It's cheaper than GamePass, so why should they pay more for something they don't use. It wasn't a good idea not matter what the initial plan was.

konnichiwa said:

They wanted to increase price but gamers complained so they didn't and now F2P don't need gold anymore. It seems they reacted (fast) it feels a win for gamers and not a loss.  If they kept the price it would have been a loss.

I'm just saying it's merely a stay of execution. The F2P unlock was merely meant to soften the blow of the price increase, however the ridiculous increase caused so much backlash that MS had to reverse that decision asap and still do the F2P unlock to win back goodwill.

derpysquirtle64 said:

Some people will probably never move to GamePass and will just continue to pay for Gold to access multiplayer. It's cheaper than GamePass, so why should they pay more for something they don't use. It wasn't a good idea not matter what the initial plan was.

It's been in the works for a long time, back in July MS discontinued the 12 month digital subscription and those will likely disappear from retail as well. They were meant to disappear next week but I guess now simply as long as stock lasts.

All those cheap upgrade plans are there to get people to convert to GP. I guess it wasn't going fast enough or is stagnating, hence the price increase of Gold to get more people to move to GP.

This 'win' is not going to change those plans. MS is a business after all, not a service running on tax payer money.

As I suspected, looks like they originally planned on removing the F2P paywall alongside Halo Infinite.

Around the Network

Also I think, judging from Zhuge's wording "Acquire IP" that we will see Microsoft lean more into acquiring studios with popular IP now, so more like Bethesda, less like the studios before (most the studios they acquired before Bethesda were partner studios that Xbox already owned the IP they were working on or studios with not really any big IPs)

So, less like Asobo, where Xbox already owns their popular IP - Flight Simulator (and Focus owns Plague?) but more like, Studio Wildcard, Techland, etc.

Also for fun, I want to point out that Tencent borrowing $6bn could quite possibly mean that their acquisition is $6bn minimum if that borrowed money is for their gaming acquisition, often companies don't tend to acquire things with 100% cash and use various other methods, Tencent is also a $800bn company with billions of cash on its own, so yeah

Just hope it's a mobile studio.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 23 January 2021

SvennoJ said:
konnichiwa said:

They wanted to increase price but gamers complained so they didn't and now F2P don't need gold anymore. It seems they reacted (fast) it feels a win for gamers and not a loss.  If they kept the price it would have been a loss.

I'm just saying it's merely a stay of execution. The F2P unlock was merely meant to soften the blow of the price increase, however the ridiculous increase caused so much backlash that MS had to reverse that decision asap and still do the F2P unlock to win back goodwill.

derpysquirtle64 said:

It's been in the works for a long time, back in July MS discontinued the 12 month digital subscription and those will likely disappear from retail as well. They were meant to disappear next week but I guess now simply as long as stock lasts.

All those cheap upgrade plans are there to get people to convert to GP. I guess it wasn't going fast enough or is stagnating, hence the price increase of Gold to get more people to move to GP.

This 'win' is not going to change those plans. MS is a business after all, not a service running on tax payer money.

Of course they want our money (what else could it be?) but yesterday they learned that the Xbox fanbase is not as forgiving as other fanbases out there, so now they're gonna have to come up with a less intrusive way to get our money.

chakkra said:
SvennoJ said:

derpysquirtle64 said:

Of course they want our money (what else could it be?) but yesterday they learned that the Xbox fanbase is not as forgiving as other fanbases out there, so now they're gonna have to come up with a less intrusive way to get our money.

Lol, yeah that's why paying for online has become the standard on consoles!

You can complain about Nintendo's HW and pricing all you want, however they have a sustainable business model while Sony had to resort to selling off buildings in the PS3 era and MS just keeps pumping in money hoping game pass will become an Office 365 cash cow.

SvennoJ said:
chakkra said:

Lol, yeah that's why paying for online has become the standard on consoles!

You can complain about Nintendo's HW and pricing all you want, however they have a sustainable business model while Sony had to resort to selling off buildings in the PS3 era and MS just keeps pumping in money hoping game pass will become an Office 365 cash cow.

I sure as hell want them to keep pumping in money. It works for me. You can feel free to keep enjoying Nintendo's business model if that's what works for you.

chakkra said:

I sure as hell want them to keep pumping in money. It works for me. You can feel free to keep enjoying Nintendo's business model if that's what works for you.

Nah, I'm enjoying FS2020 on my laptop, no subscription required. It's on GP as well, I bought the Premium Deluxe version, cheaper in the long run (I'll be playing it for years, already sunk over 1,200 hours into it)

Get it when it comes to Series X, after a bit of extra work it runs well and already looks amazing on my 1060 laptop. I wouldn't mind double dipping on it on Series X if it runs well there (My laptop runs it at 20 fps, good enough for general aviation, stunt flying a bit iffy) however I'm not interested in getting Gold again. Maybe data streaming and live weather won't be behind the paywall, I couldn't care less about seeing other people flying around.