By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox Empire - Game Pass Surpasses 18m Subscribers

Glad Xbox reversed this and happy people called them out on it. This is a bad enough move to make me switch where I game.

Around the Network
jason1637 said:

So are we still getting 5 games with gold games?

Seems like it is here to stay, at least for this month, hopefully every month. I’m hoping that the plan moving forward is one OG Xbox game, one 360 game, two Xbox One games, and one Xbox Series game. And of course I’m hoping that 360 and OG Xbox BC work continues soon so that they can add more games to make free on Gold.

Ryotsu said:
ironmanDX said:

Yeah. Imagine if people didn't defend Sony charging $70 for games... 

Who knows. They may have reversed the decision too. Though there were also those who were displeased, seemed to have a decent amount defending it.

It's good to see when a fan base is almost unanimous in it's displeasure and voices it.

hahaha nobody buys games at 70€

Imagine actually believing this

It was a really dumb move to increase the Gold price especially for those who are still not on GamePass. Great that MS easily made a 180 on this decision, but still not good that they even tried to push the price increase in the first place given that their competition has lower prices and is far in the lead. It makes sense to do this if you are in the lead but not when you need to do your best to make your platform reach new audience.

I would've been totally fine with the GwG month, even without Gears 5.

two good X1 games and a non XBLA 360 game.
Don't care much about any OG Xbox game.

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:
jason1637 said:

So are we still getting 5 games with gold games?

Seems like it is here to stay, at least for this month, hopefully every month. I’m hoping that the plan moving forward is one OG Xbox game, one 360 game, two Xbox One games, and one Xbox Series game. And of course I’m hoping that 360 and OG Xbox BC work continues soon so that they can add more games to make free on Gold.

It seemed like adding a fifth game was meant to add more value since the price was increasing but now that the price increase isnt happening I wonder if they're gonna continue with a fifth game. I hope they do but I can aee them going back to four.

From a marketing perspective, the price increase was about squeezing more Gold users onto Game Pass, not about increasing the number of free games and increasing the value proposition per se. 

Gamers won!

AkimboCurly said:

From a marketing perspective, the price increase was about squeezing more Gold users onto Game Pass, not about increasing the number of free games and increasing the value proposition per se. 

konnichiwa said:

Gamers won!

Won what exactly?

Instead of achieving their goals (moving more people to game pass and/or increasing revenue from those sticking to gold) they now effectively made gold more expensive for them (set a higher expectation for the free games) while removing the F2P barrier, thus less people will get gold.

Basically moving away further from making Gamepass viable long term, or rather expediting having to increase GP subscription fees.

So far it seems only Nintendo has figured out how to make a profit in the gaming business, while Sony (barely) manages to break even and MS keeps on investing into potential profits later on. Great for gamers right now, enjoy the golden age while it lasts.

There's no defense for the nearly doubling the price like the initial plan was. But you have to wonder what will come next. Such a move comes from somewhere, and having not achieved those goals, some other way will be found.

SvennoJ said:
AkimboCurly said:

konnichiwa said:

Gamers won!

Won what exactly?

They wanted to increase price but gamers complained so they didn't and now F2P don't need gold anymore. It seems they reacted (fast) it feels a win for gamers and not a loss.  If they kept the price it would have been a loss.