By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

6th Annual Xbox Empire Game of the Year Awards

Vote (See Shortcuts) 8 100.00%

Total:8
shikamaru317 said:
Ryuu96 said:

This was back in September.

Ark of the Covenant from Indiana Jones 1 on the shelf behind him. So the deal with LucasFilm was probably already made in September, around the same time that MS announced they were acquiring Bethesda. Makes me less certain that Bethesda will have told LucasFilm about the MS acquisition talks, which means that Bethesda may have signed a contract that included Sony platforms.

Damn, that really sucks, this would have made a great exclusive counter to Sony's rumored upcoming Uncharted from Sony San Diego and San Mateo studios. But if it's multiplat it doesn't really counter it.

I would assume the MS-Bethesda's negotiations had been undergoing for months before the announcement.

Besides, if MS really wanted to make it exclusive I think it would just be a matter of renegotiating the contracts (a.k.a paying more money) for it. I seriously doubt that all the exclusivity deals that we see pop up every day are signed before the development of said games begin (FFVII, Harry Potter, Kena, CrossFireX, STALKER, Scorn, etc).

On a side note, I thought "hmm, there is something going here," the minute I saw this tweet yesterday:

Around the Network

Yeah, it is possible Microsoft simply re-negotiates, they will likely have to re-negotiate for Game Pass release anyway, though then Disney will realise how much power they hold and likely jack up the price a lot.

chakkra said:
shikamaru317 said:

Ark of the Covenant from Indiana Jones 1 on the shelf behind him. So the deal with LucasFilm was probably already made in September, around the same time that MS announced they were acquiring Bethesda. Makes me less certain that Bethesda will have told LucasFilm about the MS acquisition talks, which means that Bethesda may have signed a contract that included Sony platforms.

Damn, that really sucks, this would have made a great exclusive counter to Sony's rumored upcoming Uncharted from Sony San Diego and San Mateo studios. But if it's multiplat it doesn't really counter it.

I would assume the MS-Bethesda's negotiations had been undergoing for months before the announcement.

Besides, if MS really wanted to make it exclusive I think it would just be a matter of renegotiating the contracts (a.k.a paying more money) for it. I seriously doubt that all the exclusivity deals that we see pop up every day are signed before the development of said games begin (FFVII, Harry Potter, Kena, CrossFireX, STALKER, Scorn, etc).

On a side note, I thought "hmm, there is something going here," the minute I saw this tweet yesterday:

Yeah, I hope that MS renogotiate exclusivity on it if it isn't already exclusive. With the heavy rumors of a new Uncharted coming from Sony San Diego, I really think it would be nice for MS to have a counter for that. 

Even more interesting is that Larry posted a Star Wars quote there, not Indiana Jones. "We will watch you career with great interest" is a Palaptine quote from episode 1:

Really makes me wonder if MS may have already made a deal with LucasFilm to release a Star Wars game sometime after the EA exclusivity expires in 2023, to avoid legal issues. I would be absolutely ecstatic if Obsidian got to make KOTOR 3, or even just a remake collection of KOTOR 1 and 2. Obsidian still was interested in making KOTOR 3 just a couple of years ago, Josh Sawyer said so in an interview.

Last edited by shikamaru317 - 6 days ago

Jason Schreier said back in February of 2020 that if a KOTOR remake is happening, it isn't being made at EA.

In December in an Era thread asking who will develop the remake, Jason posted that nobody will be able to guess right.

So if it's happening, it's not at EA, it is unlikely to be a studio known for RPGs (that'd be able to be guessed) so judging from his comment it is likely a studio (outside of EA) with no RPG experience which won't be able to be guessed.

Also makes me wonder if that rules out Microsoft or are we specifically talking developers, cause, by Double Fine (for example) would definitely not be able to be guessed right

Last edited by Ryuu96 - 6 days ago

Ryuu96 said:

Jason Schreier said back in February of 2020 that if a KOTOR remake is happening, it isn't being made at EA.

In December in an Era thread asking who will develop the remake, Jason posted that nobody will be able to guess right.

So if it's happening, it's not at EA, it is unlikely to be a studio known for RPGs (that'd be able to be guessed) so judging from his comment it is likely a studio (outside of EA) with no RPG experience which won't be able to be guessed.

Also makes me wonder if that rules out Microsoft or are we specifically talking developers, cause, by Double Fine (For example) would definitely not be able to be guessed

What Jason is saying kind of lines up with what a well known Star Wars insider was saying about a year ago. That Star Wars insider said that a new KOTOR was in development, but that it wasn't KOTOR 3, rather a new KOTOR reboot which would combine elements of both KOTOR 1 and 2 into a single game, bringing KOTOR into Disney's new Star Wars canon ahead of the new KOTOR movie, which is being written by the Alita: Battle Angel co-writer, Laeta Kalogridis. That insider seemed to imply that EA wasn't making it, but rather that Disney either had an internal studio or a partner studio who was developing it with plans for a release after EA's exclusivity deal ends in mid 2023.

If it's a new internal LucasFilm Games studio it makes sense that nobody would be able to guess it, though it could also be an unexpected 3rd party partner. Definitely seems like Larry was hinting at something Xbox-Star Wars related with that quote, but if it's not Obsidian making the KOTOR remake, I'm not really sure which other MS or Bethesda studio would make sense for it, most of their teams are accounted for now, with only a few exceptions like Compulsion (too small for KOTOR) and Rare's 3rd team (also too small for KOTOR). Josh Sawyer, who was the one that said that Obsidian was still interested in making KOTOR 3 a few years ago, has his new project, but it is supposedly a very small team, like 15 devs tops, so I doubt he's doing KOTOR, especially since it doesn't line up with what Schreier is saying about the studio being difficult to guess.

Last edited by shikamaru317 - 6 days ago

Around the Network

Wat

Ryuu96 said:

Wat

Eye see money game controller

"I see a moneyhatted game" maybe? Maybe MS just hatted an exclusive? I hope so anyway, hopefully a 2021 exclusive. Sony's 2021 is looking stellar now that a FF16 release is possible for 2021 in addition to the other 6 already announced AAA exclusives Sony has for 2021. MS really needs to step it up and hat something AAA of their own for 2021 to compete.

Oh I just saw Microsoft financial report is next week (1/20) so maybe he's just hinting that Gaming has had a big quarter.

Ryuu96 said:

Oh I just saw Microsoft financial report is next week (1/20) so maybe he's just hinting that Gaming has had a big quarter.

I feel like the money stack and game controller should be reversed if that was the case. "Eye-see-game controller-money stack" would turn into "I see gaming profits". But it's definitely a possibility that he goofed and hyped people up for nothing. 

Or others are pointing out that Cryengine has one eye as its logo

I'm going with financial report being good though.