By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Ryuu96 said:
gtotheunit91 said:

The partnership will probably bring some ire with it because the CEO of Unity has gone from having sexual assault allegations, to calling developers that don’t use microtransactions “fucking idiotsâ€Â to most recently, buying a malware company to infest their mobile games.

Bold: Excuse me?

I saw the rest, from insulting developers, the same developers that use Unity, to buying that Malware company, I also saw something about them firing their entire team responsible for making a Unity game? They make losses on Unity and have acquired a bunch of companies unrelated to improving Unity engine. They also laid off hundreds of employees.

The majority of said revenue was generated by Unity's Operate Solutions division, which contains Unity Ads and Unity In-App Purchases, among other business areas. The segment generated $194.6 million in Q4 2021, an increase of 45% compared to the same quarter in 2020.

Additionally, $99.9 million was generated by Create Solutions; the division that handles Unity's game engine. That also saw an increase of 49% compared to the previous year.

This makes me wonder if they're going to pivot away from the engine and instead focus on ads as their engine has never pulled in much but that would suck cause Unity is still a good engine, very popular for indies and we wouldn't want Unreal Engine to dominate the entire market, Lol. I'm not really liking what I'm seeing from this CEO though.

This is a good partnership by Xbox though considering Unity is still massively popular.

It was a former VP of HR that filed the lawsuit against him. I remember reading about it when was initially news, but I don’t recall what came of it. 

https://venturebeat.com/2019/06/08/former-vice-president-sues-unity-accuses-ceo-of-sexual-harassment/

For sure it’s a great partnership, and when you think of the indie scene, you almost immediately figure the Unity engine is what’s being utilized. Technology is good. Leadership, not so much

Around the Network

Regarding the poll: I picked wow because of nostalgia and because of all of the characters and progress I already have in it, but I fully recognize that in its current state FF14 is doing great things and is probably the superior game

I chose WoW for personal reasons rather than the greater good of Xbox lol. FF14 is the biggest MMO on the market and since the franchise in general is not coming to Xbox outside of Crisis Core, Xbox gamers could use more Final Fantasy, and what better way to do that than introducing them to a game they can spend thousands of hours on.

For me though, one of my first ever gaming franchises was Warcraft. It started with a copy of Warcraft II my cousin gave me that I played for a solid year straight till Warcraft III released! Warcraft III and its expansion are still top 3 games of all time for me. I had never played an MMORPG before WoW, and it took a lot of convincing my mom to pay for me to play it. It was myself and several kids in my class that got the game at release and there were some months I couldn't play because of the subscription costs, but man it was so much fun!!! I stopped playing WoW back when Cataclysm released because I didn't like the direction the game was going, but those are some priceless memories, and with WoW Classic being a mainstay now for the franchise, that would be awesome to experience on Xbox.

Ouch! I didn't watch this match, but I would be livid if that happened to me. 343 can't be having moments like this happen in pro tournaments. Especially the larger ones with larger prize pools.

Completely forgot about this franchise, but after Forgotten Empires hopefully makes of Age of Mythology Definitive Edition, Microsoft should see be about bringing back Rise of Nations! Another Microsoft RTS IP that's sitting there collecting dust.

If Forgotten Empires is too busy with AoE, Microsoft could reach out to Skybox Labs as they were the ones that re-released the original RoN in 2014 on Steam and the Windows 10 store that included Xbox Live achievements in 2017, or even reach out to the original developers of the franchise, Big Huge Games.

I never got too into Rise of Nations as it was much more hardcore than Age of Empires, but it's still a great strategy game that adds more options for strategy lovers. And Xbox needs to port these games to console!

Around the Network

Between the 2, I pick FF14. Firstly, I don't play MMOs, but if I was going to pick one of the 2, that would be it. 2nd, FF14 is the more popular game at the moment and would be overall more beneficial for Xbox to have on the platform.

I put in maybe 20hrs into FFXIV. I found it relatively enjoyable but I just don't think MMO's are my cup of tea. Haven't played a second of WoW so I voted for FFXIV by default.

I think WoW is awful so any other option will get my vote by default.

NobleTeam360 said:

I put in maybe 20hrs into FFXIV. I found it relatively enjoyable but I just don't think MMO's are my cup of tea. Haven't played a second of WoW so I voted for FFXIV by default.

Yeah, there's a reason why the biggest MMO's are subscription based. You have to put ALL your time and energy into learning and mastering the game. Because you're not going to have the time to do or play anything else lol. I didn't like the 2010 expansion of WoW to where I had to cold turkey quit, otherwise I would've just hated myself and gaming lol.

A friend of mine still plays WoW to this day and hasn't let a single month lapse in his subscription since the launch of WoW in 2004. He hates himself for it but he can't stop playing

I was interested in this game but was going to wait till release to see whether or not I'd pick it up. If it's releasing early 2023, don't think I'd have any time to play this lol