By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What do you want in a Switch 2?

Pemalite said:
curl-6 said:

This. The current Switch's full potential hasn't been tapped out yet, we've yet to see for example what an open world 3D Zelda (BOTW2) built from the ground up for Switch can achieve, or what Metroid could look like, etc.

There is a very real chance that Breath of the Wild 2 will be utilizing Breath of the Wild 1's game engine and a bulk of it's assets, which was built for and optimized for the WiiU.
So it's not likely to show us what the Switch can do.

There should hopefully be some improvement though right; I mean they will have to make some new assets, and not having to budget for Wii U's CPU/GPU/RAM should mean they're less restricted in terms of stuff like scene complexity.

Around the Network
Nu-13 said:
Pemalite said:

The engine has everything to do with it.

3d zeldas up to skyward sword were using the oot engine..

Nope.

curl-6 said:

There should hopefully be some improvement though right; I mean they will have to make some new assets, and not having to budget for Wii U's CPU/GPU/RAM should mean they're less restricted in terms of stuff like scene complexity.

A game engine is a collection of smaller parts all working together to form a "game engine". - Nintendo is likely using the exact same graphics renderer as the original Breath of the Wild game.

That doesn't mean there can't be any visual improvements, but it's not going to be taking full advantage of the Switch's various hardware nuances to push things to the limit.
I would be very surprised if it leverages a greater degree of Tessellated surfaces for example that the Switch is capable of.

In saying that, Breath of the Wild wasn't a perfect experience on Switch anyway, there are framerate issues. (Although more pronounced on Wii U)
I would assume they would try to chase 720P/900P again on Switch, which does eat into the limited bandwidth the Switch has to offer.

But for all intents and purposes, I would not expect a big leap over the first game, not until there is a top-to-bottom engine rewrite, which will likely happen with the next game.

But let's be realistic, I didn't buy a Wii U or Switch for the graphics anyway, no one buys a Nintendo console for the graphics, as long as the game is artistically pleasing and fun to play, that's all that matters I guess.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Every time I look at this thread, it is amazing how little people know of mobile hardware. AMD announced the CPU cores for the PS5 (FIVE, NOT FOUR) in a mobile chip, running at 1.8ghz, and it only uses 15 watts. The Ryzen 4800U. Even I was surprised.

https://www.amd.com/en/products/apu/amd-ryzen-7-4800u

That is what is possible in 2020 with a mobile CPU. And people wonder if the next Switch can equal the PS4? We can already put the PS5 CPU in a Switch (but not the GPU of course). It is up to Nintendo, and how much they want to charge for their next system. That's why I think Nintendo should make a $399 mobile system and really show what is possible in 2020 with mobile hardware.

The PS4 is nothing special in 2020. Even in 2019 we have the mobile version of the GTX 1650 from laptops running at half clock speed like the Switch (1ghz): it uses 20 watts on average and beats the PS4. Shrink that to 7nm and it is a piece of cake to beat the PS4 if Nintendo wants to do so. CPU and GPU.

The Snapdragon 865 will most likely beat the PS4's GPU, and the CPU by 4x... Let's not get started with the next iPad PRO which will have a CPU that will absolutely smoke the Ryzen 4800U and the PS4. Geekbench 5 scores will be over 1400 per core (14x faster than the Switch most likely).

Last edited by Alistair - on 19 January 2020

Radek said:

GPU at least as powerful as PS4 Pro from 2016. So GTX 1060 power level at least.

PS4 Pro is too much in the mobile space for 2020 unless it is a large device like the iPad Pro (Beating the PS4's CPU is easy, the GPU part is hard because we want to use less than 30 watts max total). We can beat the PS4 easily enough with a 7nm version of a mobile GTX 1650 max q chip however. Who knows what nVidia will launch for laptops later this year, but their slowest chip on 7nm will beat the PS4 easily.

Around the Network
Radek said:
Alistair said:

PS4 Pro is too much in the mobile space for 2020 unless it is a large device like the iPad Pro (Beating the PS4's CPU is easy, the GPU part is hard because we want to use less than 30 watts max total). We can beat the PS4 easily enough with a 7nm version of a mobile GTX 1650 max q chip however. Who knows what nVidia will launch for laptops later this year, but their slowest chip on 7nm will beat the PS4 easily.

Who is talking about 2020? Switch 2 is 2022 at earliest

There's no point in waiting. 7nm tech and nVidia's new design are launching this year. We can double the PS4's CPU and equal the GPU, that sound great for $350.

Radek said:
Alistair said:

There's no point in waiting. 7nm tech and nVidia's new design are launching this year. We can double the PS4's CPU and equal the GPU, that sound great for $350.

What? You want Nintendo to launch next gen console after barely 3 years?

Yes. Same as PS4 pro. The Switch was based on the 2014 Samsung Note 4's CPU, so actually it will have been 6 years since those ARM A57 cores released. nVidia also didn't purpose build the Tegra X1 for the Switch, it was a reject chip because 16nm was delayed. Change the Arm A57 to Arm A76, and double the GPU cores while updating to Pascal or Turing cores. It won't even cost any extra money. It will be the same as any $300 Chinese phone in 2020. That's not a lot to ask.

Radek said:
Alistair said:

Yes. Same as PS4 pro. The Switch was based on the 2014 Samsung Note 4's CPU, so actually it will have been 6 years since those ARM A57 cores released. nVidia also didn't purpose build the Tegra X1 for the Switch, it was a reject chip because 16nm was delayed. Switch the Arm A57 to Arm A76, and double the GPU cores while updating to Pascal or Turing cores.

We are talking about Switch 2 here, not Switch Pro... look at the thread title...

It is 3 years later just like Sony felt the need to release another console, same for Nintendo. It is the same thing. The point of calling it PS4 Pro or Xbox One X is that games were back and forward compatible. Do the same thing with the Switch 2, it doesn't matter what you call it. I like Super Switch myself.

The Xbox One X is 4x faster than the original Xbox One, it's not called the Xbox Pro either.

A good online. A fucking good online. I would also like more things. But really Nintendo just give me this. PLEASE.

Alistair said:
Radek said:

We are talking about Switch 2 here, not Switch Pro... look at the thread title...

It is 3 years later just like Sony felt the need to release another console, same for Nintendo. It is the same thing. The point of calling it PS4 Pro or Xbox One X is that games were back and forward compatible. Do the same thing with the Switch 2, it doesn't matter what you call it. I like Super Switch myself.

The Xbox One X is 4x faster than the original Xbox One, it's not called the Xbox Pro either.

There is a difference between a full-on successor and a mid-gen upgrade though. A successor means software support will shift away from Switch 1, while the latter doesn't.