By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What do you want in a Switch 2?

Nu-13 said:
RolStoppable said:

If you say so. But an important question still remains: How much more powerful than the PS4 is said chipset going to be?

People aren't looking for something that is marginally better than the PS4, but rather significantly because it's about the question how feasible ports of PS5 games are.

I already said I expect something 7-8x more powerful than the switch's gpu. hat puts it at or a little under the xbox one x gpu power (with more modern stuff). Cpu will be much better and I also expect 16gb of lpddr4 ram, with 14-15gb reserved for games.

Again you throw out numbers from where? what is your basis point for this conclusion?

There is nothing that is a mobile chipset from Nvidia to suggest it will be 8x better than Switch from a 2021 design (Unless you think Nvidia are going to use a main PC GPU, not a mobile one) and shrink it so far that they will put it in a Switch.

Around the Network
Cobretti2 said:
Nu-13 said:

I already said I expect something 7-8x more powerful than the switch's gpu. hat puts it at or a little under the xbox one x gpu power (with more modern stuff). Cpu will be much better and I also expect 16gb of lpddr4 ram, with 14-15gb reserved for games.

Again you throw out numbers from where? what is your basis point for this conclusion?

There is nothing that is a mobile chipset from Nvidia to suggest it will be 8x better than Switch from a 2021 design (Unless you think Nvidia are going to use a main PC GPU, not a mobile one) and shrink it so far that they will put it in a Switch.

What we have right now in 12nm is the basis. New and more advanced gpus built on 7nm will have the performance described above.

Just an upgraded tablet for $199-$299. Keep the current dock and controllers compatible.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

zorg1000 said:
Soundwave said:

The core console teams (Zelda team, Retro team, EAD Tokyo's Mario teams, the Mario Kart team) have been working on the same level for almost a decade, sorry but that is hamstringing some of the most talented developers on the planet.

They all will be able to do more on the PS4++ tech and even teams that went from 3DS to Switch ... so what? They will have even more options on a Switch 2. 

If you gave Nintendo developers a GameCube chip instead of an N64 (effectively skipping an entire generation) in 1995 ... that's *good* for the developer, not bad. 

3rd parties were stuck on 360 level hardware for nearly a decade as well, 2005-2013 and most 2014/2015 titles were cross-gen, so why is it out of the question for Nintendo to have the same thing?

In those 8 years, the teams you listed (Zelda, Mario Kart, 3D Mario & Retro) have released 1 HD title in each of those series.

On top of that we just now got our first HD Fire Emblem, first HD mainline Pokemon, first HD Luigi's Mansion, about to get our first HD Animal Crossing, and have yet to get our first HD Metroid, etc.

Just because more powerful hardware exists does not mean it's necessary to transition to it if you still have untapped potential in your current hardware.

This. The current Switch's full potential hasn't been tapped out yet, we've yet to see for example what an open world 3D Zelda (BOTW2) built from the ground up for Switch can achieve, or what Metroid could look like, etc.

Nu-13 said:
Cobretti2 said:

What we have right now in 12nm is the basis. New and more advanced gpus built on 7nm will have the performance described above.

Yeah, sure they will bud. XBO X level performance in a mobile chip is just around the corner.

Around the Network

More power
Better battery
Most of all Stronger Digital - I only noticed one or 2 people mention it but Nintendo's digital is far from family friendly. We now have 3 switches in the house. I would like to see something like the way Sony handles it. I have my Primary PS4 downstairs hooked to the main TV, anyone with an account on that machine can play any game from my digital library. The other PS4 is upstairs in my office and I'm pretty much the only person that uses that one. On the switch if I buy a game digitally my profile is the only one that can play that game ... 5 people play Splatoon in the house, it would be nice if I could pay $60 once and all three play together vs $180 ( 3 carts) or $300 (5 digital) for us all to be able to play the game. That's crazy. For a family focused company they are really sticking it to families with the Switch.

EricHiggin said:

In another thread and with more research, is seems like Ryzen mobile 4000 GPU's are tied to RDNA to some extent. How much exactly we'll eventually find out. While the RDNA design has ties to GCN still, it looks as though, and based on the naming, that Ryzen mobile 4000 is still mostly Vega and GCN at it's core.

RDNA is based on Graphics Core Next, it shares the exact same instruction set.

Ryzen mobile 4000 series is based on Vega.
Ryzen mobile 3000 series is based on Vega.
Ryzen mobile 2000 series is based on Vega.

curl-6 said:

This. The current Switch's full potential hasn't been tapped out yet, we've yet to see for example what an open world 3D Zelda (BOTW2) built from the ground up for Switch can achieve, or what Metroid could look like, etc.

There is a very real chance that Breath of the Wild 2 will be utilizing Breath of the Wild 1's game engine and a bulk of it's assets, which was built for and optimized for the WiiU.
So it's not likely to show us what the Switch can do.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
EricHiggin said:

In another thread and with more research, is seems like Ryzen mobile 4000 GPU's are tied to RDNA to some extent. How much exactly we'll eventually find out. While the RDNA design has ties to GCN still, it looks as though, and based on the naming, that Ryzen mobile 4000 is still mostly Vega and GCN at it's core.

RDNA is based on Graphics Core Next, it shares the exact same instruction set.

Ryzen mobile 4000 series is based on Vega.
Ryzen mobile 3000 series is based on Vega.
Ryzen mobile 2000 series is based on Vega.

curl-6 said:

There is a very real chance that Breath of the Wild 2 will be utilizing Breath of the Wild 1's game engine and a bulk of it's assets, which was built for and optimized for the WiiU.
So it's not likely to show us what the Switch can do.

We know for a fact it is reusing many asstes and the engine has little to do with optimization. Botw was made for wii u and ported somewhat quickly for the switch. It's sequel is being made 100% for the switch, which means it will be optimized around it. We should expect better performance than botw.

Nu-13 said:

We know for a fact it is reusing many asstes and the engine has little to do with optimization. Botw was made for wii u and ported somewhat quickly for the switch. It's sequel is being made 100% for the switch, which means it will be optimized around it. We should expect better performance than botw.

The engine has everything to do with it.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
Nu-13 said:

The engine has everything to do with it.

3d zeldas up to skyward sword were using the oot engine. Didn't seem like a problem.