By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What do you want in a Switch 2?

Fuchigole said:
The first thing I want in a Switch 2 is to not be released before 2023.

Came here to post this.

Give me a minimum of 5 years, preferably 6, of my current system, then give me a full blown successor. That's the way things should be.

So sick of people talking about this Switch like its over the hill and needs replacement ASAP, it's not even 3 years old FFS and it's one of the fastest selling system ever. We shouldn't even be talking about a replacement yet.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Fuchigole said:
The first thing I want in a Switch 2 is to not be released before 2023.

Came here to post this.

Give me a minimum of 5 years, preferably 6, of my current system, then give me a full blown successor. That's the way things should be.

So sick of people talking about this Switch like its over the hill and needs replacement ASAP, it's not even 3 years old FFS and it's one of the fastest selling system ever. We shouldn't even be talking about a replacement yet.

Talking about a sucessor when a system is about to pass 3 years into its life cycle is perfectly normal. 

For crying out loud Nintendo officially announced the N64 (not a rumor, not a "maybe", an official press release straight from Kyoto) when the SNES was only 2 years old, lol. 

We didn't cry about it, to the contrary, Nintendo fans of the time were generally really excited. 

Soundwave said:
zorg1000 said:

Look back at his post before you made those remarks. He asked you to point out a time when a Nintendo system got more than 1 or the big 8 games after year 4. You were the one who brought up how Nintendo has 8 big IP and how Nintendo sales typically drop by year 4 or 5 so his questions were 100% relevant.

Why is that relevant to a Switch 2? 

Even if they released Mario Odyssey 2 in say 2022 ... so what? That will cause a huge surge in sales why? 

Who do you think is going to be buying that? Here's a wild guess, probably a lot of the 16 million people who owned the first one. 

Actually too BOTW2 and a hypothetical Odyssey 2 will likely sell a good deal less than their predecessors, we see this as a pattern on Nintendo platforms too ... Majora's Mask did not sell as well as Ocarina of Time, Mario Galaxy 2 did not sell as well as Mario Galaxy, DKC2 sold less than DKC. Even though debatably the second instalments there are all better games than their predecessors.  

Not only do you have diminishing sales with most Nintendo IP that are repeated on a system, you are most likely by the second time around just selling to the same people that bought the first game, so that's not driving hardware adoption. 

The "guy who refuses to buy a Switch for years until they release a second or third 3D Mario in the system's 5th or 6th year" is not likely that large of a crowd. 

It's relevant to the discussion you two were having and you were the who brought both those points up. If they werent relevant than why did you bring them up to begin with?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
Soundwave said:

Why is that relevant to a Switch 2? 

Even if they released Mario Odyssey 2 in say 2022 ... so what? That will cause a huge surge in sales why? 

Who do you think is going to be buying that? Here's a wild guess, probably a lot of the 16 million people who owned the first one. 

Actually too BOTW2 and a hypothetical Odyssey 2 will likely sell a good deal less than their predecessors, we see this as a pattern on Nintendo platforms too ... Majora's Mask did not sell as well as Ocarina of Time, Mario Galaxy 2 did not sell as well as Mario Galaxy, DKC2 sold less than DKC. Even though debatably the second instalments there are all better games than their predecessors.  

Not only do you have diminishing sales with most Nintendo IP that are repeated on a system, you are most likely by the second time around just selling to the same people that bought the first game, so that's not driving hardware adoption. 

The "guy who refuses to buy a Switch for years until they release a second or third 3D Mario in the system's 5th or 6th year" is not likely that large of a crowd. 

It's relevant to the discussion you two were having and you were the who brought both those points up. If they werent relevant than why did you bring them up to begin with?

Because he has this fantasy that years 4/5/6/7 (hah) won't see any decline that is typical for Nintendo platforms just by double dipping on the same IP thus keeping the dream alive that catching the PS4 may somehow happen. 

Lets be real here too ... BOTW2, even if it is a better game than BOTW1 is unlikely to outsell the original right off the hop, but even if it did, really primarily most buyers would be coming from the 15 million that purchased the first game and have a Switch already. 

Soundwave said:
curl-6 said:

Came here to post this.

Talking about a sucessor when a system is about to pass 3 years into its life cycle is perfectly normal. 

For crying out loud Nintendo officially announced the N64 (not a rumor, not a "maybe", an official press release straight from Kyoto) when the SNES was only 2 years old, lol. 

We didn't cry about it, to the contrary, Nintendo fans of the time were generally really excited. 

It's more the attitude that Switch NEEDS replacement soon, when it absolutely does not.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Soundwave said:

It's more the attitude that Switch NEEDS replacement soon, when it absolutely does not.

Hard to know that, I bet when you see EPD/EAD Tokyo/Retro Games running on a Switch that's a generational leap over the current Switch your reaction won't "aw man, this sucks", but more like "wow, I need that". 

Putting sales dick waving aside, there's no Nintendo tech progression which didn't lead to games that were better than they would've been on the prior platform or flat out impossible.

You could play Super Metroid on the NES ... but would you really want to? Breath of the Wild simply wouldn't work on the Wii, not without massively destroying the open structure of the game. 

Keep in mind Nintendo's developers have been stuck using this same basic level of tech since the Wii U launched in 2012 ... that's now going to be like 8 years ago. That's a long time for developers that good to be locked in to basically one generation. 

Soundwave said:
curl-6 said:

Hard to know that, I bet when you see EPD/EAD Tokyo/Retro Games running on a Switch that's a generational leap over the current Switch your reaction won't "aw man, this sucks", but more like "wow, I need that". 

Putting sales dick waving aside, there's no Nintendo tech progression which didn't lead to games that were better than they would've been on the prior platform or flat out impossible.

You could play Super Metroid on the NES ... but would you really want to? Breath of the Wild simply wouldn't work on the Wii, not without massively destroying the open structure of the game. 

Keep in mind Nintendo's developers have been stuck using this same basic level of tech since the Wii U launched in 2012 ... that's now going to be like 8 years ago. That's a long time for developers that good to be locked in to basically one generation. 

I'm sure I'll love the leap when it comes, but the longer we wait the better the leap will be, plus the more money's worth I'll get out of my current system.

curl-6 said:
Soundwave said:

I'm sure I'll love the leap when it comes, but the longer we wait the better the leap will be, plus the more money's worth I'll get out of my current system.

Unless Nintendo is waiting for matured 3nm 5nm tech which would be stupid, there's really not going to a massive difference in the quality of chip they can get from 7nm, Nvidia likely already has shown them the Switch 2 chip in prototype form.

Soundwave said:
zorg1000 said:

Because he has this fantasy that years 4/5/6/7 (hah) won't see any decline that is typical for Nintendo platforms just by double dipping on the same IP thus keeping the dream alive that catching the PS4 may somehow happen. 

Lets be real here too ... BOTW2, even if it is a better game than BOTW1 is unlikely to outsell the original right off the hop, but even if it did, really primarily most buyers would be coming from the 15 million that purchased the first game and have a Switch already. 

Show me where he said there would be no decline. He talked about how a decline in hardware will not be as much of an issue anymore because they have more revenue streams including mobile, online subscription, etc.

It's like you cant even follow your own discussion.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Soundwave said:

Not really, you seem to be ignoring that a whole bunch of teams are making the leap from 3DS to Switch, rather than Wii U to Switch.