By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What do you want in a Switch 2?

Mnementh said:
Soundwave said:

What's the reason the Switch 1 and Switch 2 couldn't co-exist for multiple years?

Switch 2 is probably going to raise the price up to $349.99 to start as that's a more lucrative price position, something like the Switch Lite at least will be like $149.99-$169.99 by then ... they would be serving completely different parts of the market by then.

Nintendo is not going to abandon the upscale $300+ market, that part of the market makes a lot of money and that consumer buys a lot of games, you lose that upper end market to people who aren't 11 years old and eventually get tired of a very dated product to other game platforms if you don't keep your product line fresh. 

I don't know. Then had this ever worked in the past? Different models of the same gen, yes, but two gens coexisting?

A hybrid console has never worked before either, sure I think that could work fine. 

A new 2D Mario for example doesn't need an entire new hardware, you could make a game like that and have it run at 4K or whatever on the Switch 2 and lower resolutions of Switch 1 ... easy peasy. 

Around the Network

POWER!!!!!!

The first thing I want in a Switch 2 is to not be released before 2023.

Tbh, i think they saw how well the Switch was doing and they were like, aight, we'll save some of these upgrades for the second console.

What i want would be :
-Keep the simple OS but with more customization
-A Miiverse type service
-Built in voice chat
-More apps
Like we know they are able to do all these cause it's easy and almost all of them were on the wii u. They just don't see the necessity and it's probably to keep that argument for a new console.

And the things that are just obvious :
-1080p screen and maybe up to 4K docked. I think they can make it seeing how they are treating the Switch's lifecycle rn, no way they will let it die in 2 years. We are looking at a console that will absolutely not get replaced in atleast 3 more years. So in 2022 or 2023 i can totally see a new hybrid console doing that for a moderated price and size.
-More space

Soundwave said:
RolStoppable said:

Super Mario Galaxy released during the Wii's fourth year, so with Skyward Sword you are sitting at 1 of 8 IPs that fit the criterion. The same goes for the 3DS, you have 1 of 8 if that's all you can think of.

And because you realize how flawed your argument is, you move the goalposts and pretend that all IPs under the Mario moniker are the same, or alternatively, there's a lot of overlap across all Nintendo IPs. But even if it were like that, that still doesn't change that you are looking at scenarios where only 1 out of 8 big IPs saw a new installment late in a console's lifecycle.

I stand behind my points. 

Why are you even in a Switch 2 thread? lol. Can we actually discuss that? Clearly you have no interest in one because you put dumb internet message board arguments over everything else (and then end up getting dunked on by Sony fans in the end anyway). So console LTD is all that matters to you even above gaming quality. This is a thread for SWITCH 2 discussion and what people want from it. 

Nobody cares about your obsessive agenda to save face in front of 20 other kids on this board. 

Lol what kind of ridiculous console war bullshit is this response?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
Soundwave said:

I stand behind my points. 

Why are you even in a Switch 2 thread? lol. Can we actually discuss that? Clearly you have no interest in one because you put dumb internet message board arguments over everything else (and then end up getting dunked on by Sony fans in the end anyway). So console LTD is all that matters to you even above gaming quality. This is a thread for SWITCH 2 discussion and what people want from it. 

Nobody cares about your obsessive agenda to save face in front of 20 other kids on this board. 

What? Wanting better hardware is not "console war" bullshit. It leads to better games and better play experiences, it has for every successive generation leap Nintendo has done. It gives Nintendo developers more freedom to do more with. BOTW and Splatoon would not be near as good stuck on Wii/3DS tier hardware. 

The idea of Nintendo's developers having a generational leap for the first time in almost 10 years now (Wii U in 2012, since then they've been working on basically a similar tier of hardware) should be exciting not something to dread, jeezus what in the world is wrong with looking forward to that? 

Wanting excessively long generations because of an agenda based primarily on dick waving LTD sales and a 0.5% fantasy chance of maybe catching the PS4 and prioritizing that over everything else on a message board is actually textbook "console war bullshit". 

Last edited by Soundwave - on 12 January 2020

Soundwave said:
zorg1000 said:

What? Wanting better hardware is not "console war" bullshit. It leads to better games and better play experiences, it has for every successive generation leap Nintendo has done. It gives game developers more freedom to do more with. 

Wanting excessively long generations because of an agenda based primarily on dick waving sales on a message board is actually "console war bullshit". 

Yeah, that's not at all what I was talking about, i was referring to these hateful/inflammatory quotes:

"You put dumb internet message board arguments over everything else"

"End up getting dunked on by Sony fans in the end"

"Nobody cares about your obsessive agenda to save face in front of 20 other kids on this board"

How is this relevant to what he said before that? And how do you not see how you are guilty of the exact same thing?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
Soundwave said:

What? Wanting better hardware is not "console war" bullshit. It leads to better games and better play experiences, it has for every successive generation leap Nintendo has done. It gives game developers more freedom to do more with. 

Wanting excessively long generations because of an agenda based primarily on dick waving sales on a message board is actually "console war bullshit". 

Yeah, that's not at all what I was talking about, i was referring to these hateful/inflammatory quotes:

"Nobody cares about your obsessive agenda to save face in front of 20 other kids on this board"

How is this relevant to what he said before that? And how do you not see how you are guilty of the exact same thing?

It's pointing out that his agenda by this pov is tiresome and he's been called out for it by multiple posters over the years. He's locked in some kind of bizarre mindset where "beating Sony's LTD" (which isn't going to happen 99% most likely even though just mentioning that probably sets him off) has become like the only thing that matters. 

He's a textbook definition of a console war fanatic, that's all that he obsesses over, he doesn't really bring anything else in the way of technical knowledge or anything else to a Switch 2 discussion. 

Want to talk modern mobile chip tech and 7nm chips and what Nintendo could do with that how they could easily integrate 50GB/sec memory bandwidth for this year or better gains from LPDDR5 which will be easily available by 2022 ... hey sure I'm game to talk about that, so no it's not the same thing at all. 

By the way too, I find this whole "a new system ... OH NOEZ" talk stupid, I've been a Nintendo fan for a long time. Did we cry in fall 1993 when Nintendo announced Project: Reality (aka: the N64) in partnership with SGI even though the SNES was only TWO freaking years old in the US at that point? No. Most Nintendo fans were EXCITED about the possibilities the new system would bring. Not "well what does this mean for the SNES matching the NES' LTD or overtaking the Genesis". No one said shit like that at all, lol, because what the fuck, it's about the games and you get better games when you give talented designers better hardware. 

Last edited by Soundwave - on 12 January 2020

Soundwave said:
zorg1000 said:

It's pointing out that his agenda by this point is tiresome and he's been called out for it by multiple posters over the years. He's locked in some kind of bizarre mindset where "beating Sony's LTD" (which isn't going to happen 99% most likely even though just mentioning that probably sets him off).

He's a textbook definition of a console war fanatic, that's all that he obsesses over, he doesn't really bring anything else in the way of technical knowledge or anything else to a Switch 2 discussion. 

Want to talk modern mobile chip tech and 7nm chips and what Nintendo could do with that how they could easily integrate 50GB/sec memory bandwidth for this year or better gains from LPDDR5 which will be easily available by 2022 ... hey sure I'm game to talk about that, so no it's not the same thing at all. 

By the way too, I find this whole "a new system ... OH NOEZ" talk stupid, I've been a Nintendo fan for a long time. Did we cry in fall 1993 when Nintendo announced Project: Reality (aka: the N64) even though the SNES was only TWO freaking years old in the US at that point? No. Most Nintendo fans were EXCITED about the possibilities the new system would bring. Go freaking figure. 

Look back at his post before you made those remarks. He asked you to point out a time when a Nintendo system got more than 1 or the big 8 games after year 4. You were the one who brought up how Nintendo has 8 big IP and how Nintendo sales typically drop by year 4 or 5 so his questions were 100% relevant.

zorg1000 said:
Soundwave said:

It's pointing out that his agenda by this point is tiresome and he's been called out for it by multiple posters over the years. He's locked in some kind of bizarre mindset where "beating Sony's LTD" (which isn't going to happen 99% most likely even though just mentioning that probably sets him off).

By the way too, I find this whole "a new system ... OH NOEZ" talk stupid, I've been a Nintendo fan for a long time. Did we cry in fall 1993 when Nintendo announced Project: Reality (aka: the N64) even though the SNES was only TWO freaking years old in the US at that point? No. Most Nintendo fans were EXCITED about the possibilities the new system would bring. Go freaking figure. 

Look back at his post before you made those remarks. He asked you to point out a time when a Nintendo system got more than 1 or the big 8 games after year 4. You were the one who brought up how Nintendo has 8 big IP and how Nintendo sales typically drop by year 4 or 5 so his questions were 100% relevant.

Why is that relevant to a Switch 2? 

Even if they released Mario Odyssey 2 in say 2022 ... so what? That will cause a huge surge in sales why? 

Who do you think is going to be buying that? Here's a wild guess, probably a lot of the 16 million people who owned the first one. 

Actually too BOTW2 and a hypothetical Odyssey 2 will likely sell a good deal less than their predecessors, we see this as a pattern on Nintendo platforms too ... Majora's Mask did not sell as well as Ocarina of Time, Mario Galaxy 2 did not sell as well as Mario Galaxy, DKC2 sold less than DKC. Even though debatably the second instalments there are all better games than their predecessors.  

Not only do you have diminishing sales with most Nintendo IP that are repeated on a system, you are most likely by the second time around just selling to the same people that bought the first game, so that's not driving hardware adoption. 

The "guy who refuses to buy a Switch for years until they release a second or third 3D Mario in the system's 5th or 6th year" is not likely that large of a crowd.