By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Your game of the decade (2010-2019)

Breath of the Wild - This game constantly bombarded you with things to do while giving you the pace to enjoy them in a sandbox way

Feel free to check out my stream on twitch 

Around the Network

My favourite of this decade would be Pokemon Black/White, but the one I've played the most is Skyrim.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Monster Hunter Tri

Runa216 said:
HoloDust said:

Coming from pen&paper RPGs I can imagine all sort of crazy stuff. Honestly, I find both BotW and Skyrim to be very limited games, each in its own way, but I find Skyrim, due to it being RPG, to have better replayability...and much more content, while we're at it. Ultimately, IMO, they are just decent games, and that's about it.

This might not be adding much to the conversation, but I put Skyrim and Breath of the Wild at my #2 and #3 slots, respectively. No reason we can't enjoy both, they don't have to be in direct opposition of one another. 

Indeed, they are not in direct opposition, but I often see folks comparing them - which is quite silly, they might both be designed as open world game, but ultimately fall into different genres and since BotW exploded and got its mainstream cult following (not unlike Skyrim so many years before), it is very common to see such comparisons.

But ultimately, they are very different games (though both designed for mainstream appeal), each with its own sets of freedoms and game mechanisms, and IMO both decent games, but also quite limited.

As much as I have loved PS exclusives, I have to say Witcher 3. I'm partial to 3rd person RPGs and this was the ultimate expression of that. Everything was done excellently in my opinion, be it technical or artistic (I came in a little later, so all the bugs had already been dealt with). CDPR obviously puts a lot of heart in what they do. The attention to detail and weaving such storytelling into the world, with well fleshed out and likable characters, choices that actually have effects, and whatnot. Greatness.

Around the Network
Cucumberry said:
Monster Hunter Tri

I wasn't sure whether to include this one in my honourable mentions; it's a 2010 release in the West, but came out in 2009 originally, in Japan.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 07 January 2020

i would have put skyrym up there, but recently i did a re evaluation of bethesda software and came to the conclusion we have been duped, into believing and falling for their hype. From the bugs, to the graphics, physics and AI, really outdated, long load times, encumbered, glitches, half decent story, dragons that look cheaply designed. Fell for the same fiasco in fallout 4, 76. Looking back, there was barely much fun in it at all, just more repetition. Would definitely avoild the enxt few fallout/elder games unless there is a complete over haul of the game design and a new engine built from the ground up only for next gen hardware.

KratosLives said:
i would have put skyrym up there, but recently i did a re evaluation of bethesda software and came to the conclusion we have been duped, into believing and falling for their hype. From the bugs, to the graphics, physics and AI, really outdated, long load times, encumbered, glitches, half decent story, dragons that look cheaply designed. Fell for the same fiasco in fallout 4, 76. Looking back, there was barely much fun in it at all, just more repetition. Would definitely avoild the enxt few fallout/elder games unless there is a complete over haul of the game design and a new engine built from the ground up only for next gen hardware.

Yeah I kinda agree, even back in 2011 I never understood why people were so full of praise for a game that couldn't run for 10 minutes without a glitch. It's just so damn janky.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 08 January 2020

Skyrim.
It set the bar for what I look for in open-world games, and what I want for in-game lore.

Ask stefl1504 for a sig, even if you don't need one.

curl-6 said:
KratosLives said:

Yeah I kinda agree, even back in 2011 I never understood why people were so full of praise for a game that couldn't run for 10 minutes without a glitch. It's just so damn janky.

I played it for 105 hours my first run through, no glitches. That was on PS3. 

When I tried playing it on Xbox 360 to review Dawnguard and Dragonborn for the website, it crashed dozens of times in less than 20 hours. 

Everyone has a different experience and some people didn't experience many glitches; furthermore, sometimes the glitches aren't all that bothersome and I, for example, don't mind the occasional glitch if it means I get to enjoy such a serene, huge game. All these years later, I still love just relaxing and questing in Skyrim.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android