By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Your game of the decade (2010-2019)

ironmanDX said:
Witcher 3. Never have I been as immersed in a game as the Witcher 3. There are even secondary quests in this game that have a better plot than some games I've played.

Improved upon everything the Witcher 2 did. I'm going to play them both again, one after another during a dry spell next generation.

I probably spent the most hours on Titanfall. Easily the best multiplayer I've played since halo 3. If it had a more fleshed out campaign, could have been my... GOTG.

Easily the best mp I've played in the decade but the nod goes to the Witcher 3.

Soooo...TitanFall 2?

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Around the Network
KratosLives said:
demon souls/death stranding

Demon's Souls was 2009

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

BotW, when you open your mind to everything that is available to you it is truly unmatched in depth.  Game is the closest yet to "perfection".

Last edited by scottslater - on 03 January 2020

Nintendo with the Switch:

Super Mario Galaxy 2. Yoshi waving goodbye at you when you crawl up the final pole just made me tear up. Needless to say it's the greatest platformer of all time and might as well be the best game ever.

Honestly, hard to choose 1 (also, be surprised about what games came out in 2010 or 11 people forgot about because this gen started in 2013).

Mass Effect 2 - Great Combat, good story and was great to do different playthroughs.
Dragon Age Inquisition - People moan but I loved this, while some bits were to be desired (hate Solas with a passion), I've played it so much over and over, never done a Dwarf run though, ever.
Bloodborne - Just because it's awesome, played it through loads, never did a game + or bought the DLC though.
Horizon: Zero Dawn - I didn't know what to expect but when I got into it I was amazed at how good it actually was, the gameplay is great, story great and it's dang fun to play.

Weird to think FF13 came out in 2010 and I haven't played a new FF game since. That's just sad.

Last edited by The Fury - on 03 January 2020

Hmm, pie.

Around the Network

If I was to pick my personal top 5 or top 10:

Bloodborne
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
God of War PS4
Red Dead Redemption 1 and 2 both
Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
Dark Souls III and I Remastered
Rock Band 3/4
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag

Might wanna add like, Pokemon as a franchise since I've loved all of them, especially Sword and Shield.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

really hard to tell between:

dark souls
god of war 3
witcher 2
donkey kong tropical freeze
mass effect 2

but I think I will go with dark souls because it shaped my gaming taste for the coming years, while follow up games of witcher and god of war took a bad turn.

Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night (2019)

Nearly my favourite Castlevania game ever, I was overjoyed to play this earlier this year. I can't wait to see what the followup game is going to be.

Honestly, I think I'm gonna need another four or five years until I figure out which game to call GotD for 2010-2019. There's just so many excellent contenders!

Breath of the Wild revolutionized Zelda and open world games. It's physics and game engine inspire endless improvisation. 

Mass Effect 2 was just peak Bioware, before EA ruined them. Sadly I don't think we'll get another Bioware game as good as that. Sometimes really damned good game genres die out because of changes in the industry. For example: We'll never see another modern multi-million dollar turn based Final Fantasy in the vein of FF7-9 again, because Square changed over the years. Sure we get good turn based JRPGs like Octopath, but Square will never again pour tens of millions into an epic turn based RPG. Another good example of this is how the collectathon platformer almost went extinct after N64 was replaced with Gamecube. 

Dark Souls didn't bring new ideas to the table. That was Demon Souls. It just refined them to perfection, cementing the Souls-Like genre. 

Super Mario Galaxy 2 was peak 3D Mario IMO. Odyssey comes pretty close, but Galaxy 2 is a much longer game. It also has Yoshi!

Odyssey, because it's a Mario game with a what amounts to a billion power ups!

God of War for those little boat stories, and the way that damned lake was just so explorable. 

The Last of Us for the storytelling, and the first game to really, really push graphics like never before this decade. 

Witcher 3 for having a story that can be taken in so many damned directions depending on what you did in the first two games. That and for pushing graphics to the limit this gen. This is still the game that I think most people should use to test their new PC rigs with!

Mario Kart 8 because it had the best tracks, and was just plain the best refinement of the series in 30 years. 

The entire Xenoblade series because Monolithsoft is the king of making the explorable, yet confusing landscape that you can just get lost in. 

Fire Emblem Awakening for saving the series. Three Houses for keeping things amazing. 

Poke'mon X/Y for bringing the series to 3D, introducing Mega forms (which had a huge impact on the meta), and having an excellent (for its time) online feature.

Etrian Odyssey IV for bringing the niche series to full 3D, and combining the best of Dark Souls, Monster Hunter, and Turn Based Combat. Seriously! Play this game you guys!

Hollow Knight because it's basically Super Metroid on crack, with Souls-Like elements, it's own hand drawn art style, and the most interesting, charming world in any game ever. 

Horizon Zero Dawn because it took so many good ideas from other games and merged them perfectly. 

Monster Hunter World for modernizing the series, and going multiplatform. 

Into the Breach because it captured the idea of fending off giant monsters with mechs so damned well. Punch this one bug, to push it into another bug that is just barely alive killing both! Artillery strike this one tile to push the four bugs around it so they wind up falling into the sea, hitting each other, or blocking other bugs from spawning. 

Splatoon series because it injected life and new ideas into the stale as hell shooter genre. 

Civ 6 Gathering Storm because if you are running it with quick combat on, and with a new Ryzen CPU turns don't take time anymore! The loyalty system from Brave New World solves the city spam problem from past games too. Now, if only the AI would be updated past caveman levels. 

Smash Ultimate for being the Ultimate Smash game? :D

Neir Automata, and Undertale for shattering that 4th wall and showing us what game narratives can really do!

Sekiro, because the combat is on a whole other level compared to other Hack n' Slash games. 

Stardew Valley for perfecting the farming sim.

Sonic Mania for finally bringing Sonic back to his full 2D glory days, and then taking it even further with so many damned good ideas!

Then there's all the games that I haven't quite had a chance to sink my teeth into this decade, but I heavily suspect are awesome. Persona 5, Ys series, Trails of Cold Steel Series, Yakuza 0, Minecraft, Divinity 2, Dragon Quest XI, RE2 Remake, Bloodborne, Owlboy, and quite a few that I'm forgetting at the moment. 

In hindsight the 2010's were clearly one of the best decades for gaming. The indie scene really took off leading to a lot of innovation, as well as resurrection of older genres. The power of the 8th generation of game consoles really let developers do new things, but it mostly came down to having all these big open worlds with almost no loading screens. This decade spawned the Switch, which will probably go down in many people's minds as the best Nintendo console. 

Sure, we did get MTX, GaaS, pathetic overpriced DLC, this decade, but looking back that all seems like something not worth worrying about. Like all of that is pointless forgettable bickering when set next to the amazing experiences all the good devs gave us this gen. 

Last edited by Cerebralbore101 - on 03 January 2020

Cerebralbore101 said:

The Last of Us for the storytelling, and the first game to really, really push graphics like never before this decade. 

I find the last comment interesting; TLOU definitely looks amazing by PS3 standards, but "the first"? Didn't games like God War 3/Ascension, Uncharted 3, etc in prior years of the decade also "really, really push graphics"?