By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The 10th Annual Greatest Games Event - Discussion Thread

Alex_The_Hedgehog said:
#42 - The Blue Blur's first 3D adventure is now on a Nintendo console.

Sonic Adventure DX?

Around the Network
Landale_Star said:
Alex_The_Hedgehog said:
#42 - The Blue Blur's first 3D adventure is now on a Nintendo console.

Sonic Adventure DX?

Correct!

Landale_Star said:
Xen said:

KH: BBS. 

41 : A theatrical show about the worlds' greatest... scissors.

40 : Drifting through the world, I meet my descendants... who are older than I am? o.O

KH: BBS is correct. I'll take a guess at your 41, is it Puppeteer?

Indeed it is

Alex_The_Hedgehog said:
Landale_Star said:

Sonic Adventure DX?

Correct!

But Sonic's first 3D adventure is 3D Blast o.O

S.Peelman said:
I accidentally already posted this hint before when I thought my #41 game was actually my #45 game, but now it's finally time.

#41: This game originally featured a midi interpretation of the real-life anthem of a rather shady real-life regime.

Wolfenstein 3D?

Xen said:
Landale_Star said:

KH: BBS is correct. I'll take a guess at your 41, is it Puppeteer?

Indeed it is

Alex_The_Hedgehog said:

Correct!

But Sonic's first 3D adventure is 3D Blast o.O

Yeah, but it's more like an Isometric game. I don't consider it a proper 3D like Adventure.

Around the Network

#47 SMB3

Super Mario Bros 3

NES

One of the things I did for my list this year was going back and reevaluating games. I wanted to rank all the games on my list based on how fun they are today, not how fun I found them when I initially played them.

Despite being over 30 years old and on an ancient system SMB3 is just flat out better than 99% of all the other games out there. What I'm saying is that if you erased all memory of SMB3 and released it today in 2019 it would still get 93/100 reviews across the board from every site out there. It's that damned good. 

What makes it so good? The art direction is killer, especially for an 8-bit game. The only NES game that looks better is Kirby's Adventure. The controls are spot on. The game is actually challenging without alienating the less experienced players. A lot of games these days are either way too easy, or so hard they cater to a select few players that want an extreme challenge. SMB3 not only finds an excellent middle ground, but actively teaches players how to be better by way of slowly ramping up the difficulty. 

We are in an age where small Indie studios are regularly outdoing SNES and NES classics. For this game to be on my list in this day and age is a just a testament to how awesome it is, and how awesome it will remain for years to come. 

Last edited by Cerebralbore101 - on 20 November 2019

Mario Kart 8

Wii U 

Normally I don't like racing games at all. They are too much like sports games, with no video game fun injected into them. They just try to replicate real life, and IMO that's boring. Imagine an FPS where you take a single bullet and die. Or a cooking game where you have to wait a literal hour in game to see your cooking results. Emulating real life in games often doesn't work out at all. It's just unfun.

Luckily, Mario Kart has always been about fun over realism. The ability to shoot your opponents with shells, leave banana peels, shove them off the road, or nuke them with the Blue Shell just adds a delightful brand of chaos to what would have otherwise been another boring racing series. The rubber banding in this game series keeps the action going ensuring that nobody gets too far ahead of the pack. 

Mario Kart 8 just took the MK formula and dialed it up to 11. The graphics are honestly the best the series has ever had, and even puts many games to shame to this day. We've got more tracks, carts, and characters than ever. Now that the game can be taken on the go with Switch it represents the biggest leap in the on the go version of the series ever. 

Subnautica

PC

Ladies and Gentleman say hello to what is hands down the best 3D Crafting/Exploration game ever made! Subnautica starts you out stranded on an alien planet with nothing but a fabricator and a tablet. The game has a hunger, oxygen and hydration system built into it. Yeah, that's right you have to eat, drink, and breath in this game. You can suffocate, starve, or just go dehydrated while surrounded by water. Thankfully, this game isn't too realistic with these features. The pacing is set up in such a way that you always feel the pain of hunger or parched lips, but aren't terribly burdened by it. You start out in the first hour of the game desperately trying to catch enough food and bladderfish to keep you fed and hydrated. This in turn makes it so much more rewarding whenever you unlock a way to build something that gives you free water or free food. 

And build you can in this game. The game has a building system that puts everything else I've seen to shame. What are you building? Underwater bases of course! These bases come with research labs, ore smelters, solar panels, small exploration vehicles, and some other vehicles that I honestly don't want to spoil for anybody. 

The goal of the game is to dive deeper and deeper into this alien world that you've crash landed on. As you do you'll uncover the wreckage of past survivors and unravel the mystery of why your ship was shot down. The developers just do a damned excellent job of leaving just enough story bread crumbs to keep you going. 

As you dive deeper you'll need better equipment, that can survive the crushing pressure, and dangerous creatures. You'll keep going into the scariest environments you've ever come across. Just imagine what is at the bottom of earth's oceans. Now take that and imagine what it would be in an alien world that is 99% covered in water, with much deeper oceans. Yeah, that's Subnautica. 

S.Peelman said:
I accidentally already posted this hint before when I thought my #41 game was actually my #45 game, but now it's finally time.

#41: This game originally featured a midi interpretation of the real-life anthem of a rather shady real-life regime.

Wolfenstein?  Not sure which one if that is it though.  There are quite a few.

Bofferbrauer2 said:
S.Peelman said:

Wolfenstein 3D?

The_Liquid_Laser said:

Wolfenstein?  Not sure which one if that is it though.  There are quite a few.

Wolfenstein 3D is correct.

The original version had the Horst Wessel Lied, the Nazi party anthem, during the main title screen, which was added because the publisher was concerned there were too many shocking things in the game. I guess id thought “you know what’s shocking..”

Bofferbrauer was first, so I’ll give him the credit.

Time to drop some more hints.

Hint 1: The best battle royale game.
Hint 2: Based on a classic game.

Hint 1: Fifth and second last game of an old mascot.

Hint 1: Steering wheel.

Hint 1: First game in a franchise that will appear 7 more times on my list.