By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The 10th Annual Greatest Games Event - Discussion Thread

mZuzek said:
S.Peelman said:

(cool pic)

It seems I finally have competition. I don't know why it took me this long to notice it, but congrats on the images! I might have to finally change my layout next year...

One more day, one more hint.
#42 - The second installment in a series that greatly expanded the amount of plastic in the room.

Thanks. I figured this year I'd make time to do these things.

I like your layout as well. I think mine are working out fine, but they're not perfect yet; with this setup one game turns out better than the other and overall it seems to favor 2D sprite based games. They'll 'pop' a bit more than most 3D games. Oh well, I'll tweak them some more next year, should be easy enough with how I set up the main file.

As for your hint;

#42: Has got to be either Rock Band 2 or Guitar Hero 2... I'll go with Rock Band 2.

Around the Network
mZuzek said:
S.Peelman said:

#42: Has got to be either Rock Band 2 or Guitar Hero 2... I'll go with Rock Band 2.

Guitar Hero 2 didn't really expand the amount of plastic in the room, so Rock Band 2 it is.

Heh, yeah I guess Guitar Hero 2 didn't if you already had a guitar from the first game. I didn't even think of that.

Jpcc86 said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

The next 3 on my list.

#40: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH Yourself! Uh Oh...
Hint 1: Sam I am!

40 - Serious Sam?

The first encounter, yes. Generally abreviated as Serious Sam TFE

For those who didn't get the first hint, it's the first encounter with a beheaded kamikaze (which shouts an endless AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH). You kill him, and that line comes next, followed by the sounds of multiple ennemies spawning and lots of AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH screams. Cue Uh-oh...

Last edited by Bofferbrauer2 - on 20 November 2019

Landale_Star said:

Time for the next few hints

41. The universe is a simulation, just data, nothing but data.

40. A game that is named after bulletin board systems.

39. Go to the castle and get your cake

KH: BBS. 

41 : A theatrical show about the worlds' greatest... scissors.

40 : Drifting through the world, I meet my descendants... who are older than I am? o.O

Darashiva said:
Landale_Star said:

41: Star Ocean: Till the End of Time

That's the one.

Xen said:
Landale_Star said:

KH: BBS. 

41 : A theatrical show about the worlds' greatest... scissors.

40 : Drifting through the world, I meet my descendants... who are older than I am? o.O

KH: BBS is correct. I'll take a guess at your 41, is it Puppeteer?

Around the Network

Guessed by Farsala

Another real-time strategy game that left an impression. 'Age of Mythology' is a spin-off of the famous Age of Empires series, made when the creators wanted to shake things up instead of making similar games one after another. They used their newly made 3D engine to build this game, and test the engine out simultaneously. The strongest point of the game, and where it evolves the gameplay of real-time strategy games up to that point, is in how the different civilizations work; they are all fundamentally different. They all advance tech-ages, through the chosing of one of three Gods (that give different bonuses and unlock different advancements) during each advancement, but aside from that they have different units, buildings, techs and economics. This creates vastly different strategies for each civilization and varied gameplay. The downside though is that the initial game had only three civilizations based on Greek, Ancient Egyptian and Norse mythology. A fourth based on Atlantian mythology was added through a great expansion, 'Titans', and recently, after the release of the HD remaster, a fifth civilization based on Chinese mythology was added through a new expansion. Sadly I haven't played that yet.

I accidentally already posted this hint before when I thought my #41 game was actually my #45 game, but now it's finally time.

#41: This game originally featured a midi interpretation of the real-life anthem of a rather shady real-life regime.

#42 - The Blue Blur's first 3D adventure is now on a Nintendo console.

42. Final Fantasy Tactics

First Played: 2007

Times Completed: 2

Another game that didn't originally make it to the UK, but the PSP and the region free PS3 allowed me to play this game eventually. I had already played FF Tactics Advance so I knew I'd enjoy the game, but this was even better. The story and music are both incredible, the original PS1 game does have some translation issues, but that doesn't really bring the game down. The battle system is based on job switching to learn different abilities giving a huge range of options as far as party set up is concerned, something I always enjoy. Whether its the PS1 original or the PSP remaster, this is an essential game for fans of tactical JRPGs.

RingoGaSuki said:

#42: Octopath Traveller [NS] ( ↓ 25 )

Octopath came out at a time when I was crying out for an RPG on the Switch. A perfect love letter to the RPGs of yesteryear, Octopath has the best art direction in any game ever. It's OST is also one of the best ever composed, and its core gameplay is deep and engrossing. It still stands tall as one of the best games on the Switch today, even though the competition is a lot stronger these days. 

The story gets a lot of shit for not being connected or having an overarching narrative linking the characters, but imho it doesn't need it. It felt like a group of people on a journey with each other because it was a means to an end, there was no driving force behind it, and there was something that felt very real about that to me. Its individual characters are all extremely well done too, Primrose and her story in particular stands out as an incredible redemption arc to me. 

Don't interpret the game's sharp drop down my ranking (from 17 last year to 42 this year) as anything too deep, I've simply played a lot of games in the past year, and my attachment to this has drifted in comparison. It is still as fantastic a game as it was last year.

I've been pretty interested in this game since playing the demo, it seems like Bravely Default mixed with a SaGa title, which is something I'd probably enjoy. I've held out in hopes of a PS4 port, but I'll probably just give in and buy it on Switch.