By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The 10th Annual Greatest Games Event - Discussion Thread

Guessed by Scoobes

'Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds' is a real-time strategy game built upon the basis of Age of Empires II, another great game. This game is one of my most played multiplayer games ever, because this was all a friend of mine wanted to play, if we'd play something competitively. I kind of had a love/hate relationship with the game because I was mostly unsure whether or not I actually felt like playing the game when he asked. Is it actually fun from the game I'm having, or is it just because it's fun to play anything with a friend? A strange sensation. Gradually though, as over the years a suitable modern substitute for us to play was never released by anyone, I came to realize, it's actually pretty good. One cool thing is hidden inside the game's campaign mode. The game features six civilizations from the original trilogy and Episode I (with two additional civilizations from Episode II in an expansion), but has campaigns for only five. The sixth civilization however, the Naboo, still has it's own mini-campaign in the form of playable easter-eggs in various levels of the regular campaigns. They could only be found using cheats, and because back then I regularly used cheats, I found it.

Around the Network

Moving on. Someone will get this game;

#42: This RTS spinoff used a precursor of the next game's (a numbered sequel in the main series) newly crafted 3D engine.

S.Peelman said:

#42: This RTS spinoff used a precursor of the next game's (a numbered sequel in the main series) newly crafted 3D engine.

Halo Wars?

S.Peelman said:

Age of Mythology I would say.

Alex_The_Hedgehog said:
#43 - In this PS1 fighting game from a very popular franchise, you can select your character and your fighting style.

This is Street Fighter Alpha Three.

Around the Network
The_Liquid_Laser said:
S.Peelman said:

Halo Wars?

Not Halo Wars, Farsala immediately after you was right instead. I see the questionable structure of my sentence there might’ve put you off track.

Farsala said:

Age of Mythology I would say.

Age of Mythology is correct!

This was guessed pretty quickly again.

Player2 said:
Alex_The_Hedgehog said:
#43 - In this PS1 fighting game from a very popular franchise, you can select your character and your fighting style.

This is Street Fighter Alpha Three.

Correct!

43. Shining Soul II

First Played: 2004

Times Completed: 10+

I like quite a few of the Shining titles, which span multiple types of RPG and many different consoles, but Shining Soul II is my favourite. Choose from 8 classes to play, either in single or multiplayer, and the game takes the structure of an action RPG dungeon crawler. There is a central castle area to buy equipment, forge new equipment, take on side quests, and so on. From here, you warp to each "dungeon", which are more like levels or locations since they can take the form of a forest, a volcano, a haunted pirate ship etc. There is plenty to do, with a substantial enough story spanning many "dungeons", alongside many secret optional dungeons and sidequests, it even contains a few of Shining Soul 1's dungeons among the hidden extra dungeons. Like Secret of Mana, this is best as a multiplayer title, where different classes can work together. I like the many references to other Sega games and consoles and there is even a Master Sword to find, that looks very Hyrulian. With 8 different characters (and an optional 9th one) I've played through multiple times, solo and multiplayer.

Time for the next few hints

41. The universe is a simulation, just data, nothing but data. Star Ocean: Til the End of Time, guessed by Darashiva

40. A game that is named after bulletin board systems. Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep, guessed by Xen

39. Go to the castle and get your cake Super Mario 64, guessed by SanAndreasX

Last edited by Landale_Star - on 20 November 2019

BraLoD said:
Agente42 said:

#43 The Classic JRPG outside Nintendo Domain, second time

#42  modern Japan in a strange RPG

#41 The rare platform kinda is back but is the first one.

#40  Where are Demons Souls meet Japanese Mythos? 

43. Final Fantasy 8?

42. Earthbound

41. Donkey Kong Country Returns?

40. Nioh

#43 Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of The Cursed King -  Level 5 -PS2 - 2005