By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The 10th Annual Greatest Games Event - Discussion Thread

Farsala said:
This year I will post 1 hint and leave it up for 24 hours. After 24 hours I will reveal.

#50- Commit genocide against various animals, now in HD!
#49- An impossible to beat game, as the goal is your own. You can start as lowly baron or be an emperor, either way eventually you can certainly see the fruits of your labors.
#48- 10-15 people are introduced from an insane asylum, you must destroy your enemies to further learn about each individual.
#47- Unlike the previous games, this new game series from the same developers was set in Japan and featured deadly musketmen.
#46- The gist of this game is to build better castles than your enemies, because once you had a good economy and castle going, you can easily fend off any attack and build up for a devastating attack yourself.
#45- The first game I played on XBL, it featured online battles in urban settings, and one fun thing to do would be to destroy a building next to an enemy and the building would kill your enemy. Unlike the Halo series it did not receive many sequels.

#49: Crusader Kings?

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network

Dragon Quest VIII: The Journey of the Cursed King (PlayStation 2)

Change From Last Year: -2

Still to this day the only Dragon Quest game I've ever played, mostly because the previous games and X never came out in Europe, and IX was on a platform I didn't own. I am looking forward to playing XI at some point in the future though. Regardless, The Journey of the Cursed King is a genuinely excellent JRPG that still looks amazing all these years later thanks to its visual style. It's also very old school in a good way, which is something that has been a hallmark of the Dragon Quest-series for a long time. I love just exploring the massive overworld and discovering secrets and surprises in various hidden corners of the world.

I should probably try and get around to replaying the game at some point, since it's been at least ten years since I played it, which is probably why it has been slowly falling further down in my top 50 in recent years.

My Most Recent Articles:

1. The $70 Lie

2. Video Game Music Spotlight #16: Exploring the World

3. Forgotten Gems #11: Uniracers/Unirally

For my non-video game related writings you can check my blog below.

Latest Post: Disney Canon: Dumbo (1941)

I'm back again! This week I'm staying home, so I can be more active around here.

#43 - In a way, this platformer is a DBZ rip-off.

The next 3 on my list. Wonder if anybody will find out Number 42...

#42: Greetings, Warlord! Let the War begin!
#41: Part RTS, 4X and Space Colony management
#40: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH Yourself! Uh Oh...

Last edited by Bofferbrauer2 - on 18 November 2019

So no guesses yet I see. Another hint then;

#44: In this game you chose one of three paths through a cruiseship, but the memorable thing in this beat-em-up is that you can pick up pretty much anything in sight to use as a weapon; from actual guns and clubs to steel beams, chairs, plants, billboards and pieces of meat in the kitchen.
#44 (Hint 2): Kind of a no nonsense action game, much like Die Hard this supposed to licence.

Around the Network
Farsala said:
This year I will post 1 hint and leave it up for 24 hours. After 24 hours I will reveal.

#48- 10-15 people are introduced from an insane asylum, you must destroy your enemies to further learn about each individual.

Probably not but Batman Arkham Asylum?

Really the only thing I can come up with for any of your hints I’m afraid.

Contra (Arcade)

Today is still the best run and gun of video games.

Zombies ate my neighbors (SNES)

This game is a compendium of terrifying but very funny things.

Paper Mario 2: A thousand year-door (NGC)

The glory days of this RPG were never left behind with this game and are bigger than ever here.

Vanquish (PS3)

Oh my ... this game surprised me greatly, everything feels in place despite how accelerated it can be.

Farsala said:

#50- Commit genocide against various animals, now in HD!
#49- An impossible to beat game, as the goal is your own. You can start as lowly baron or be an emperor, either way eventually you can certainly see the fruits of your labors.
#47- Unlike the previous games, this new game series from the same developers was set in Japan and featured deadly musketmen.
#46- The gist of this game is to build better castles than your enemies, because once you had a good economy and castle going, you can easily fend off any attack and build up for a devastating attack yourself.
#45- The first game I played on XBL, it featured online battles in urban settings, and one fun thing to do would be to destroy a building next to an enemy and the building would kill your enemy. Unlike the Halo series it did not receive many sequels.

47. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice?

mZuzek said:

I'm back again! This week I'm staying home, so I can be more active around here.

#43 - In a way, this platformer is a DBZ rip-off.

Sonic 2?

S.Peelman said:
So no guesses yet I see. Another hint then;

#44: In this game you chose one of three paths through a cruiseship, but the memorable thing in this beat-em-up is that you can pick up pretty much anything in sight to use as a weapon; from actual guns and clubs to steel beams, chairs, plants, billboards and pieces of meat in the kitchen.
#44 (Hint 2): Kind of a no nonsense action game, much like Die Hard this supposed to licence.

This has to be Dynamite Cop

I'll give hints for my next few games as well:
#43:
-A politically charged JRPG with a medieval setting on the PS1.
#42:
-A huge number of 2D indie platformers these days model at least part of their gameplay and world design after this SNES classic.
-Maybe turning a section of the city into a prison wasn't such a good idea after all.

My Most Recent Articles:

1. The $70 Lie

2. Video Game Music Spotlight #16: Exploring the World

3. Forgotten Gems #11: Uniracers/Unirally

For my non-video game related writings you can check my blog below.

Latest Post: Disney Canon: Dumbo (1941)

I guess these aren't the most well known games, so time for some extra hints.

44. SaGa Frontier, guessed by TruckOSaurus

A) Not quite an unlimited saga, but pretty close.

B) This PS1 saga stopped using the Final Fantasy name for the first time in the western market.

A) Grasshopper Manufacture teams up with an old console company to reboot a classic jrpg

B) A Shining sequel with a lot of Soul for a GBA game.

Last edited by Landale_Star - on 18 November 2019