By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The 10th Annual Greatest Games Event - Discussion Thread

Landale_Star said:

Time for the next few hints

41. The universe is a simulation, just data, nothing but data.

40. A game that is named after bulletin board systems.

39. Go to the castle and get your cake

41. Xenoblade Chronicles?

39.  Fat Princess?

Around the Network

46.  Hyrule Warriors
guessed by Mnementh

To me the old NES/SNES Zeldas have always been the best, and since then I’d been missing the action of classic era Zelda.  They Hyrule Warriors comes along and delivers in spades.  On top of that I’ve always liked Dynasty Warriors, but somehow setting this type of game in Hyrule just makes it better.   This game also has an extraordinary amount of content.  It’s a great game all the way around.

45.  Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
guessed by BofferBrauer2

A couple of years ago I went on a serious quest to find a game that was as good as Final Fantasy Tactics or the closest thing I could get.  Turns out the closest thing I could get is Final Fantasy Tactics Advance.  I had played this years ago on the GBA and really liked it, but I found I needed to play it on a big screen via a Gameboy player on the Gamecube to get the full effect.  Just doing this let me enjoy this game on a whole new level.  Now if only I could play the sequel on the DS on a big screen….

44.  Shadow of the Colossus
guessed by Jpcc86

The thing I look for most in games is a fun game that offers a unique experience, and on that end Shadow of the Colossus really delivered.  It gives you the feeling that you are traveling through a living painting only to fight some gigantic monster at the end.  Everyone really ought to experience this game at least once.  It really is breathtaking.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Landale_Star said:

39.  Fat Princess?

Nope, Xenoblade is the same genre, JRPG, but the game I'm talking about is a bit older. Fat Princess is also wrong, but there is a princess involved.

Landale_Star said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

39.  Fat Princess?

Nope, Xenoblade is the same genre, JRPG, but the game I'm talking about is a bit older. Fat Princess is also wrong, but there is a princess involved.

41. I'm going to guess Star Ocean: The Last Hope, unless this is from the Square or Namco Xeno games.

39. Super Mario 64?

Farsala said:
44- You can Light fry, Nuke, Zap, disappear from existence, and mind control your enemies. You can even teleport, suicide bomb, or clone in this sequel.

43- I don't think people will guess this, it easily looked up though. The main character is voiced by a hollywood actor that starred in the Wolverine. I think his voice is very similar to Voice actor Robert McCollum.

No guesses so time for reveal.

44 - Command and Conquer Red Alert 2

Darashiva thinks this game is worth the 43rd spot, but I think 44 is okay too. All of the campaigns were fun, the game had good early and late game balance. The expansion added many interesting intricacies to battle like mind control. My absolute favorite strategy for taking down the ai was using chronotroopers. Recruit enough to distract the enemy or delete them from existence, it doesn't matter because once you get some alone time with their base it is gone forever. Of course brute force was always fun, but another interesting strategy will have to wait until later.

43- Sleeping Dogs

The MC was magnificently Voice acted by Will Yun Lee a Hollywood actor. The story is quite fun to go through and Hong Kong was beautiful to look at. Gameplay was fine with a higher focus on melee combat. You can be good or bad, doesn't really matter, either way is fun. When I first played this game I thought it would be a cookie cutter open world game, that seems all too common, but I ended up having more fun with it than more famous games.

Around the Network
SanAndreasX said:
Landale_Star said:

41. I'm going to guess Star Ocean: The Last Hope, unless this is from the Square or Namco Xeno games.

39. Super Mario 64?

So close with 41, but you got Mario 64 right.

#42: Octopath Traveller [NS] ( ↓ 25 )

Octopath came out at a time when I was crying out for an RPG on the Switch. A perfect love letter to the RPGs of yesteryear, Octopath has the best art direction in any game ever. It's OST is also one of the best ever composed, and its core gameplay is deep and engrossing. It still stands tall as one of the best games on the Switch today, even though the competition is a lot stronger these days. 

The story gets a lot of shit for not being connected or having an overarching narrative linking the characters, but imho it doesn't need it. It felt like a group of people on a journey with each other because it was a means to an end, there was no driving force behind it, and there was something that felt very real about that to me. Its individual characters are all extremely well done too, Primrose and her story in particular stands out as an incredible redemption arc to me. 

Don't interpret the game's sharp drop down my ranking (from 17 last year to 42 this year) as anything too deep, I've simply played a lot of games in the past year, and my attachment to this has drifted in comparison. It is still as fantastic a game as it was last year.

Last edited by RingoGaSuki - on 20 November 2019

The next 3 on my list.

#41: Part RTS, 4X and Space Colony management
Hint 1: You start with 3 colonies and will get more to handle the higher you get promoted.

#40: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH Yourself! Uh Oh...
Hint 1: Sam I am!

#39: An old flipper game impossible to build in real life due to morphing, teleporters, and moving monsters showing up on the field

Last edited by Bofferbrauer2 - on 20 November 2019

Landale_Star said:

41: Star Ocean: Till the End of Time

Bofferbrauer2 said:

The next 3 on my list.

#40: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH Yourself! Uh Oh...
Hint 1: Sam I am!

40 - Serious Sam?