By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The 10th Annual Greatest Games Event - Discussion Thread

Landale_Star said:
Mnementh said:

Maybe. There is this feature, to map buttons on the Wiimote to the Gamepad. But I don't know if that is enough for Pandora's Tower. In difference to Xenoblade Chronicles it uses the Wiimote, namely the pointing feature of the Remote. It might be possible to map that to a pointer that can be moved with a stick, but I don't know if that happened. And the chain is a central gameplay element, this should work fine.

I think it's based on the original Classic Controller set up for Pandora's Tower. As far as I know, all Wii games (from the E-shop) that supported the Classic Controller, can now be played entirely with the Gamepad, but like you mention the Wiimote is the way it was primarily designed so I think many prefer that over a stick.

Indeed, I looked at my copy (which to my joy is the limited edition with a steelbook) and indeed there I can see it supports classic controller. I guess this way it is mapped to the gamepad, you seem to be right on this.

S.Peelman said:
@Mnementh @Landale_Star
Thanks for the tip. I in fact have one of those mythical WiiU’s. Could be an option. I’ll have to hook it up somewhere though.

I in fact turned on my mythical WiiU, which is connected to my projector as I still use it to watch Netflix (I can name a Nintendo console which still hasn't gotten a Netflix app). And I tried it. Indeed is Pandora's Tower playable with the gamepad, as I assumed it might be the cursor indicating the chain reticle is mapped to a stick. This works, but for me it doesn't feel so natural (maybe if I played it that way for a while and get used to it). So I used a Wiimote, and man, this way targeting feels so great and fluid, it makes using the chain in combat a joy. I don't mind mapping the Wiimote flick to a button though.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
mZuzek said:
Flilix said:

Both correct!

Wait. You're telling me your 5th favorite game of all time is a RPG?

If you look at it, his game #3 is also a Pokemon too. That way I actually got #5, as I saw #3 is a Pokemon (I only don't know which one), and therefore I understood the other hints for #5. So he has an RPG as high as #3!

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

Guessed by Landale_Star

This game was a milestone. Not just for Mario, not just for Nintendo, but for gaming as a whole. This is the foundation on which every modern 3D game is built upon. You'd say that it shows, if you'd compare modern advancements in for example camera work with the crude method used in this game. However, every once in a while, there's a modern game where I'd think; "Why does this work better in Mario 64?" This is beside the gameplay itself though, Mario controls as intuitively and smoothly as he does in 'Super Mario Bros. 3' (#16). And then there's the level design. There aren't many games that can claim a gameplay scheme as tight as this one. Nintendo's first venture into the 3D world knocked it so far out of the park that ball still hasn't been retrieved yet. It wins only Bronze on my list, but this is for all intents and purposes a perfect game.

For the Silver trophy:

#2: In the movies they again went for some planet killing device, I think it would've been better if they had like an infinite fleet factory or something instead like in this game.

S.Peelman said:
For the Silver trophy:

#2: In the movies they again went for some planet killing device, I think it would've been better if they had like an infinite fleet factory or something instead like in this game.

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic?

Around the Network
Keybladewielder said:
S.Peelman said:
For the Silver trophy:

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic?

Correct.

#3 Katamari Damacy
guessed by The_Liquid_Laser
platform PS2/Switch
release year 2004
developer/publisher Namco
genre puzzle
links Wikipedia

A long time ago I played a level or two of the japanese version of Katamari Damacy on the PS2. And I had major fun. I didn't know much about it, but the feeling of strangeness and the fun of rolling up stuff, it got over well. So I was always aware that this game might be nice. But it never found it's way to europe. I considered one of the sequels, but never made the jump. Well, in December last year Namco ported the original as Reroll for Switch and PC. To late to enter last years list. But while I was writing about my top-games I played Katamari, and it was as awesome as I ever imagined. A near perfect game.

The gameplay is quite simple. You roll that Katamari through a level and everything you roll over and that is smaller than the Katamari sticks to it, letting it grow in the process. So that you can roll up bigger things. And that's it basically. In the normal levels you are tasked to reach a certain size within the time limit, other levels have different objectives (like rolling up as many twins as possible). The challenge is in meeting the goal in the time limit. You have to plan a path along items, that are just the right size. To small and your Katamari doesn't grow much and you fail the time limit. To big and you can't roll it up, wasting time and failing the time limit.

As simple as this gameplay loop is, as satisfying it is. Especially if you grow a lot in the same level. There is something strangely enjoyable in starting with rolling up telephones and cabbages, grow into a Katamari that rolls up trees and houses and end up rolling rainbows, volcanoes and entire islands. All at the same level. You can see where you started, but instead of rolling up the cabbages there, you instead roll up the whole field now. This feels just so great.

People in the level ignore the Katamari as long as it is small. But once you start rolling up humans they flee in horror and policeman shooting at it (completely useless though). Everything living you roll up still moves at the Katamari, wriggling to get free. As horrible as this is, it looks kinda funny.

The story is, well extremely strange. The King of all Cosmos (who always adresses himself as we), has drunkenly destroyed the stars. You play the little prince, his son, and as he sired you, you are indebted to him (his words) and has to fix his mess. So you roll up big Katamaris, replacing the destroyed stars. The King is kind of a dick, but the prince is nevertheless happy and works tirelessly.

I should also mention the music. It is music I would normally not like very much. But it matches the quirky style of the game so well, it just clicks and makes playing a level even more enjoyable. Yes, the whole game is a strange mix, but it just works. I think everyone should try it out. If you own a Switch, there is a free demo of the game on the eshop. You should give it a try.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2zB4zucavo

Last edited by Mnementh - on 29 December 2019

#05 - Spyro: Year of the Dragon (PS1): The year was 2013. I never had played any Spyro game other than a GBA one. Then I decided to give the PS1 trilogy a try. Man, I found one of the most fun games I ever played. I love games where you can explore a stage for itens and secrets, and Spyro: Year of the Dragon is great at doing that. For me, the greatest one in the original trilogy.

Mnementh said:
mZuzek said:

Wait. You're telling me your 5th favorite game of all time is a RPG?

If you look at it, his game #3 is also a Pokemon too. That way I actually got #5, as I saw #3 is a Pokemon (I only don't know which one), and therefore I understood the other hints for #5. So he has an RPG as high as #3!

But Plusle is the best Pokémon

#04 - My favorite Wii game. It was the best-selling entry in the series, until recently.

#03 - A Writer must face the darkness to rescue his loved one.

#02 - Please, Mario... Stop crying!!