By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Would you pass on a game due to its art style?

Would you?

Yes 55 71.43%

No 22 28.57%

Total:77
Mr Puggsly said:
curl-6 said:

My experience has been that if the art style really bugs me, its not worth pushing on regardless as the annoyance just mounts. Almost every time I've pushed on and tried to ignore it, I've ended up wishing I bailed earlier. 

In fact, not just in terms of art style but games in general, I've found that I just can't be bothered anymore investing my time, money, and energy into something if it's not my cup of tea. A lot of games I bought on, say, Wii U, I wouldn't buy if they'd come out today.

I think if the art style bugs you and you can't look past it, then odds are you just don't enjoy the gameplay.

I mean has anybody ever said, "This game is so fucking fun and the story is engaging! BUT I gave up because I didn't like the art style."

People appear to be talking about experiences of not playing a game partly because of the presentation. Nobody is saying they stopped playing a fun game because of the presentation.

I suppose I did power through Xenoblade 2 despite despising its disgusting art style, but even then I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as I would have if it had the style of Xenoblade X. Similarly, I might've actually finished Wind Waker if it looked like Twilight Princess. It's not the be-all end-all but it is a very significant factor.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 13 November 2019

Around the Network

When I was younger, I probably let that affect me. I never got around to buying Wind Waker for the GameCube. That stuff doesn't bother me any more. There is typically a reason a game has a particular art style. I will trust the developer on that. I care WAY more about how a game plays.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Never..... wind weaker taught me that simple lesson.

Mr Puggsly said:
curl-6 said:

My experience has been that if the art style really bugs me, its not worth pushing on regardless as the annoyance just mounts. Almost every time I've pushed on and tried to ignore it, I've ended up wishing I bailed earlier. 

In fact, not just in terms of art style but games in general, I've found that I just can't be bothered anymore investing my time, money, and energy into something if it's not my cup of tea. A lot of games I bought on, say, Wii U, I wouldn't buy if they'd come out today.

I think if the art style bugs you and you can't look past it, then odds are you just don't enjoy the gameplay.

I mean has anybody ever said, "This game is so fucking fun and the story is engaging! BUT I gave up because I didn't like the art style."

People appear to be talking about experiences of not playing a game partly because of the presentation. Nobody is saying they stopped playing a fun game because of the presentation.

The guy below your comment did.

I have passed on many games due to the realistic art style, so yes I would. Games are meant to let your imagination explore and give you escapism from real life, so I'm not sure why so many are attempting to replicate reality visually. But they sell lots so I guess I'm in the minority, oh well.

Around the Network

Yes, but only if the art-style is something that I find particularly disgusting, for example, Minecraft's art style is so hideous to me. The art-style of the Gears series also really turns me off.

I don't like mobile games to begin with, but the 2010s kids' cartoon art style so many of them have definitely doesn't make them any better in my eyes.

Yeah of course if it doesnt appeal to me visually i would probably not play it. Thats was a problem for Windwaker on initial release.

Keybladewielder said:
Yes, but only if the art-style is something that I find particularly disgusting, for example, Minecraft's art style is so hideous to me.

Agreed, Minecraft is genuinely one of the most visually repulsive games I've ever seen, just unspeakably ugly.

Anyone saying no is hard to believe. A large part of any game is its”style”. If the style sucks, it is hard to appreciate the game play that may be brilliant. The “style” is usually what brings the gameplay or narrative to life.

It is near the end of the end....