By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Would you pass on a game due to its art style?

Would you?

Yes 55 71.43%

No 22 28.57%

Total:77

If it's like Hello Kitty style maybe, but i generally don't let that affect my purchases

Around the Network

Never had a problem with a game's art style, so no.

I am beyond tired of the "Trendy Japanese Teen" crap.

Yes, I pass on Indie games that leverage old school 8-bit looking sprites. It just doesn't do anything for me. I grew up with a NES and I am glad we moved past 8-bit.

Yes, Windwaker be damned.

Around the Network

Art style and graphics definitely have some impact on how much I enjoy a particular game.

I don't think a game's art style would ever hold enough weight on it's own to dissuade me from making a purchase. For example, I would go out of my way to say that Return of the Obra Dinn's art style is awful. Sure, it gives the game a certain ominous tone that is fitting for what it is, but at what cost? Regardless, I still purchased the game and have enjoyed what I've played of it so far.

I do have a soft spot for 16-bit style games, like Stardew Valley, Moonlighter, Binding of Isaac, and Nuclear Throne.

But no, I don't think it's ever been enough to make me not buy a game that I otherwise would, at least consciously.

Last edited by RaptorChrist - on 12 November 2019

Yes I would, but I have never had it happen with a game I would like to play otherwise.

I have passed due to females leads however. That is not a deal breaker for me anymore either though.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

We have an overabundance of content. Steering clear of things that do not 100% match your preferences is the smart thing to do.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Well, actually yes.
Something like the Disgaea or Atelier artstyles are not my cup of tea.
Neither something like Darksiders.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

No, because I'll likely warm up to an art style if the game is good. The art style might put me off looking at the the game twice and finding out more though. If I let art style alone keep me away from games I'd never have gone near Wind Waker, Breath of the Wild, Persona 5, Bravely Default, Octopath Traveller, Okami and many more games that I've enjoyed and in some cases I've started to like their art style or at least see some merit in it.