By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Would you pass on a game due to its art style?

Would you?

Yes 55 71.43%

No 22 28.57%

Total:77

I don't think it will surprise anyone to hear that for me the answer is an emphatic yes. It significantly diminishes my enjoyment of a game if the art style is fugly. More than once I've passed on a game I might otherwise have purchased because the art style was repulsive to me.

Around the Network

Yes. Hasn't happened yet, but it could totally happen.

4 ≈ One

it depends if it is a franchise a usually play like how windwaker was at the time. I would never pass up on a zelda, metroid, mario or pikmin etc in a mainline game for example.

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

VAMatt said:
Theoretically, yes. But, I've never seen an art style that I "really, really hated".

^This

Absolutely, and have passed on a lot of ugly 8-bit (which almost always looks "fake" and forced) and 2D remakes (which frequently look like flash games).

Around the Network
Chrkeller said:
Yes, I pass on Indie games that leverage old school 8-bit looking sprites. It just doesn't do anything for me. I grew up with a NES and I am glad we moved past 8-bit.

Same, I can't stand games that try to look 8-bit, it looks like garbage.

Battletoads for Xbox One.

I've never been in a situation where I liked everything about a game but the artstyle.

100% yes, I've skipped multiple indie games because I don't like the art style.

Very likely, yes. I'm a huge fan of art style and if it doesn't look the least bit appealing, I pass... Unless the gameplay looks amazing or something...