By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Would you pass on a game due to its art style?

Would you?

Yes 55 71.43%

No 22 28.57%

Total:77

Often. It's mostly anime, it is almost auto-skip for me, though there are other art styles that irk me.

Around the Network

I don't like cartoony looking games so I skip 3d platformers like Jak & Daxter, Ratchet & Clank, Sly Cooper, I may like the gameplay but it's uncomofortable to look at them, it's like playing a kids game, same goes for Nintendo stuff.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

Sure I would. A recent example is The Outer Worlds, something about the art style just rubs me the wrong way. JRPGs with their children's cartoon style keep me away regularly.

Dante9 said:
Sure I would. A recent example is The Outer Worlds, something about the art style just rubs me the wrong way. JRPGs with their children's cartoon style keep me away regularly.

But what makes that kind of art for children,you have realistic looking kids movies and cartoons,so why only compare that art with children?

I could say i'm not watching the new terminator because it's filming style is also used for kids movies and that would be evenly strange right?

Not necessarily skip entirely, but an art style I don't like will make me less likely to get the game, at least until its gets a significant discount. For example, I've never liked how the Gears of War games looked, especially when it came to the character design. Of course, the look of a game is just one aspect that influences those decisions, but it's certainly still important.

Around the Network

A lot of things add up when I decide to purchase or play a game. I'm sure appearance/art style has played a role multiple times. I've definitely purchased games solely because of the art style, that's for sure.

Yes. I can't stand games where the background is bright with dark foreground, that gives me a headache. Trine looks gorgeous, yet the way it's lit is ugly. Same fo Ori and the blind forest. I love Ghibli but they got the lighting all wrong for Ori.

Also some art styles are not to my taste so won't buy it. Games are a visual medium, why play something that's ugly to look at.

Nope, cause you just never know when a game that didn't appeal to you at first could actually be an amazing fun game.

Yes, I remember being very interested on Sea of Thieves because I really wanted a pirate game since AC IV Black Flag but then I saw the character models and it completely turned me off.

I know... my English sucks.

YEP