By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Just picked up an old CRT TV and holy moly this is a gamechanger

I have a Framemeister and a Retrotink setup in my game room. I have most old consoles, I've gone pretty crazy on getting CPS2 and CPS3 arcade boards working on consumer equipment. I've contemplated re-getting a CRT. Then I decided to check out the input lag on the emulators, since I felt the same thing with input lag and CRTs at school (Setup a retro arcade for my students last year). My conclusions? Using the 240p suite; Genesis GX input's lag was as good as a Genesis plugged into a CRT. This was me using a dualshock 4 wireless on a 10 year old Sharp LCD, which I would imagine had more input lag than newer T.V.s (Or less since there's less post processing). BSNES had 3 frames of input lag, which I find ironic since that emulator's author insists all emulators have input lag (Which was proven 95% false with my testing of Genesis GX), yet it was really only just his emulator that was bad. Between this revelation and the CRT shaders that are out there now, I feel like getting out of the rabbit hole. I find an emulator has too many advantages over original hardware on a CRT. I mean, I go between hardware for my Street Fighter games and emulator, and it "feels" the same. Are they the same? No, putting them side by side is going to show a different timer. But how often does anyone play anything side by side like that?

Around the Network

I have a 20 inch Sony Trinitron but it's too small for PS2 games and I don't play anything older than that, but I'm glad I have it, na mean.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

flat triniton Sony TVs are THE best way to play any system that uses coaxel or component cables as the main option. Hell even the Wii works better with a flat screen CRT.

I have a 36" 480p CRT in storage. Those things are just too big and heavy for the screen size.

The original Zelda Wind Waker and Dragon Quest 8 look so friggin' gorgeous on a CRT

Around the Network
Chrkeller said:
haxxiy said:
Digital Foundry did an article about this a while back. Made me envious of one of those Sony FW900 monitors.

Now, I know cost and weight were the main factors on the CRT -> LCD transition, but on retrospect it seems a bit mind boggling people took at face value that those 768p LCDs you can't even look sideways, with fixed resolutions and framerates, were the next big thing.

I think the main driver was screen size.  CRT was limited to 36 inches (or so) while when LCD first launched 42+ inches were common.  Screen size, IMHO, drove adoption of LCD over CRT.

True enough. I was thinking more in terms of PC for some reason though.

Landale_Star said:

CRTs are great, this was my pretty flat, 38 inch (roughly) CRT with my older consoles. This was comparable to a washing machine in weight. Excuse the dust, or don't, but it's there anyway! I had to part ways when moving though, it was just too much. I wish I'd just suffered the pack pains and extra trip to take it with me.

Hey, what game is this? Taking a guess it looks like a Shining Game but I don't think I've seen this before.

I say: never a crt in my house again!

Digital Foundry did a video on this a while back. I haven't played on a crt TV in years--probably since '07. I'll say the same thing I said in the comments there-- my dad tried to pawn one a few years ago and the pawn shop wouldn't even accept it!

I want to see if I agree with you guys but connecting my current consoles to a CRT would be pretty stressful.

I'm lucky enough to share a flat with my younger brother who is also a big gamer, so he was happy for us to allocate the considerable space this big sucker takes up for a retro gaming setup.

I think as long as my old hardware works I'll always prefer the authenticity and nostalgic value of using that instead of emulators or other modern replacements.

When I can be bothered, might even hook the Wii up to it and see how that fares, run through something pretty like Mario Galaxy or Sonic Colours.