By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Any other options in life?

Metallox said:
zorg1000 said:
Sounds like you might need to seek counseling.

Counseling doesn't work in people with 0 motivation. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.psychologytoday.com/us/therapy-types/motivational-interviewing%3famp

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network

Sounds like you have symptoms of a depression. I'd advise you to talk to your doctor to get you diagnosed. Depression can be succesfully treated in most cases. Can't hurt to talk to someone.

How old are you if you don't mind me asking?

Dulfite said:
Vote for Andrew Yang. You'll make $1000 a month for doing nothing. Granted, our economy will collapse, but at least it will allow you to indulge in doing nothing.

Lool sounds like someone isn't sold on the "Freedom Dividend." XD

In all seriousness, I am intrigued by Yang's UBI but yeah, I'm definitely not fully sold it'll work without causing serious inflation. But hell you've already got the fed essentially printing money out of thin air backed by nothing which causes inflation so I don't see how it'd be much worse.

I suppose you could look at UBI as a more organized, unified version of receiving various benefits from the gov (as Yang claims this dividend would not stack w/other benefits you already receive). People ask where the money would come from but between replacing old benefits (for some), all the money put into our millitary and the war machine (much of which could be redirected) and the fact that this dividend would only go to a limited chunk of ppl (18-65 yr olds who apply, & not already accepting benefits), I think it could work. You might look at it as a sort of economic stimulus package for the people to help get the ball rolling. And if they have more money in their pocket, they pump more into the economy which ultimately helps everyone. 

So while I'm hesitant I certainly think it has potential, but Yang will need to explain himself more on that one for sure hehe..

"We hold these truths t-be self-ful evident. All men and women created by the.. Go-you know the.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

Sorry for asking, but haven't you created this thread before?

Lonely_Dolphin said:
BraLoD said:
You like video games, try to make some youtube videos or stream yourself playing.
You might get lucky and make money doing something you like.
Nowdays you can film yourself doing basically anything (even just talking) and get some money with it.

You should pursue something, tho.
Even if you end up making money in some easy way, you have to find some purpose so you won't feel empty.

There are a damn lot of jobs out there, actually, you don't need to be a business man or something, you can work with animals you like, you can work repairing stuff you know how to handle well, you can work taking photographs, you can work showing people places, you can just do about as anything as you can think.

You don't need to be that very successful man people look up to, just do something you like to do and see if there are opportunities to make some money with it.

We need money in our society, but you don't need to let the money be your priority.

I have imagined myself streaming but I lack the set-up and environment for it. Besides unless you're uber good at video games or a woman willing to exploit herself I don't see how I could build enough of an audience from 0 to live off of.

Well that's part of the problem, there's nothing I want to pursue, no jobs I want to do. Another issue is actually getting a job and maintaining it. Back when I was still trying somewhat, I sent out dozens of resumes but was only hired for 2 jobs that I only got because of recommendations and was fired due to social issues.

Ha, tell that to the many women out there looking to date up, not that I'd be interested in those types. Like you said, money is necessary so it kinda has to be priority.

Ka-pi96 said:

If you live in the UK you can just have a baby, then the government will give you a place to live and money.

I live in the U.S. and even if that was a thing here, hell no! What a terribly selfish reason to have child that would be. D:

I can't speak to set-up or environment but didn't you take top honors in many a splatfest or at least rank really high?  I'd guess you may have more skill than you are giving yourself credit for.

Around the Network
S.Peelman said:
I know!

The lottery! Win it.

That's already my plain, sorry.

I understand not having any desire to work a job, I don't really either, but you do need one. I recommend just getting a low effort job, something simple that you can just turn up, work and you don't need to think about once you're out of the door. Doesn't even need to be full time, especially if you live with your parents, a part time job will give you enough money and stop your parents from throwing you out.

I work in a warehouse and it's not too bad, I don't have to deal with customers, or be sociable. I just turn up, do my mindless job, while listening to music on my phone and then go home when my shift is done. I don't have any burning passion for a career, but this pays the bills and since I'm a loner I don't have the costs associated with having a social life, which means my meager wage is actually enough for me to live comfortably enough.

I don't know what country you live in, but I live in the UK and found that applying for jobs got me almost nowhere, but signing up with an employment agency got me work within a few days and after 3-4 months I transferred out of the agency and under the employment of one of the places I was sent to work at, compared to the previous 12 months of nothing from job applications and interviews, this was much easier for me.

Last edited by Landale_Star - on 04 November 2019

Lonely_Dolphin said:
BraLoD said:
You like video games, try to make some youtube videos or stream yourself playing.
You might get lucky and make money doing something you like.
Nowdays you can film yourself doing basically anything (even just talking) and get some money with it.

You should pursue something, tho.
Even if you end up making money in some easy way, you have to find some purpose so you won't feel empty.

There are a damn lot of jobs out there, actually, you don't need to be a business man or something, you can work with animals you like, you can work repairing stuff you know how to handle well, you can work taking photographs, you can work showing people places, you can just do about as anything as you can think.

You don't need to be that very successful man people look up to, just do something you like to do and see if there are opportunities to make some money with it.

We need money in our society, but you don't need to let the money be your priority.

I have imagined myself streaming but I lack the set-up and environment for it. Besides unless you're uber good at video games or a woman willing to exploit herself I don't see how I could build enough of an audience from 0 to live off of.

Well that's part of the problem, there's nothing I want to pursue, no jobs I want to do. Another issue is actually getting a job and maintaining it. Back when I was still trying somewhat, I sent out dozens of resumes but was only hired for 2 jobs that I only got because of recommendations and was fired due to social issues.

Ha, tell that to the many women out there looking to date up, not that I'd be interested in those types. Like you said, money is necessary so it kinda has to be priority.

Nope it doesn't need to be priority.

You need some money, but not to let it take control of your life.

You also don't need skills to get a following, you need charisma, you can absolutely suck ass at gaming and make a lot of people still watch you play.

There is one thing people are attracted to, and its passion, if you have passion for gaming you'll be interesting to other people, because you love what they love, so they'll like you.

About all the other options, you might just not realise what you would like to do.

Let's take an example, you have a dolphin avatar so I suppose you like dolphins, do you know there are people out there making a living by taking care of animals such as dolphins and others? People that work in aquariums for example.

There is also work so satisfying to do people do them while not getting even paid. Works that involve dolphins, for example, and they can travel to a lot of places trying to take care of those animals, while funded by some organization.

The thing is, you need to start doing something, anything, and you'll realise just about anything can become a job/money maker.

Getting back to the end of my previous post and start of this one, you don't need to let money be the priority.

You don't need to make 100K a year, you don't need to have a big house filled with stuff, you don't need to have a traditional job where you send resume applications, you can even work in a damn small store, the point is you only need some money to make a living, you don't need to pursue it, and you can be happy living your life doing small profit, seriously, you don't need a lot of money.

You just can't settle doing nothing, because then life will hit hard on you, and you'll realise how easier is to make something here and there instead.

Anyway, you have enough motivation to share it with us and ask trying to find some solution, don't fool yourself, you have motivation, just try to look to things around you a bit easier on yourself, you'll do just fine.

I'll be hoping to hear more on your end.

ruffy37 said:
Lonely_Dolphin said:

I'm already in the U.S., thing is I don't consider spending every day alone on the street doing nothing living. My mind wouldn't be able to handle that.

what does it mean you are already in u.s.? can you live on welfare and get a free appartement, health insurance, enough money per month for food in the u.s.?

I don't know exactly how it works, but I know at the very least you get food water and temporary shelter. What country gives you your own appartment, how can they function like that? O_o

Chrkeller said:
Suck it up and get a job is my advice. Nobody likes working, it is called being an adult and doing what one has to do.

lol ya. Like I said, just checking if there's another way though I doubt there is and I'm just screwed.

John2290 said:
Only you can see the options ahead of you, noone can tell you here. I know for myself I have boxed myself into a corner so tight and coroded the walls, floors and my shoes so badly it would take a damn miracle for me to find anyway out of it. You may fair better if you sit down and think without the electronic device or advice of others. I know, no help to what you're asking but working ain't so bad. Not working is what destroys the mind and body and future.

Ha, as if I have a choice to think by myself whenever I'm away from the internet. I'm curious to know how and why have you boxed yourself in?

DarthMetalliCube said:

I'm relatively happy with my small clique of friends and family though I do feel isolated quite a bit, especially now that I'm working from home and no longer go to school. I do sometimes yearn for the days of my 20s when I socialized more often and with more people, though I am ultimately an introvert and take comfort in being alone a lot so it's a constant battle in my head I guess you can say lol.

Parents and my mom's side of the family are, for the most part great and loving, but both my grandparents passed fairly recently and my dad's side has basically no family so my family certainy isn't vast.

Well it might be worth calling out to them if it's as bad with your folks as you say.

Trust me when I say, I have many failures, and regrets. Though I also have some successes. I try to feed on BOTH and use as motivating factors in their own ways. This is how we grow.

It may be cliche as hell but what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. I won't accept defeat.

So you are happy overall then, just wish it could a bit better. That's good, I won't lie I'd kill to be in your position so you better not take your friends and family for granted!

KLAMarine said:

Then get a job so you don't end up homeless. Take that as motivation.

Nope, like I said in the OP that's not enough. I it's guess because that fear has been there for so long that I became desensitized to it.

d21lewis said:
What you need to do is decide what's important to you in life. Seeing the world? Falling in love? Living comfortably? Being a parent? Only you can decide.

When you do decide, you have to ask yourself how hard you're willing to work for these things. Everything from having a relationship to looking good costs money. There are no free rides. You just have to hope you're lucky enough to find something that gives you a sense of fulfilment--a job you look forward to instead of a job you hate. Try lots of different things. You're not a slave. If you don't like something, quit and try something else. Sooner or later, you'll figure it out.

It just saddens me. My daughter is the same way. There just isn't really anything she's passionate about. I want her to live and be happy no matter what path she chooses and, even though I know nothing about you, I wish the same for you. Just don't give up. Good things will happen to you if you just keep moving forward.

And ignore my last post. Selling your mouth to the highest bidder is never the answer. You save that mouth for someone who truly deserves to know what it do.

Naturally going by my name, I value having friends and family, I mean only a weirdo doesn't lol, but yet still no motivation to work for these things anymore. Doesn't help that working is no guarantee you'll gain a social life.

I don't know if this is how it works for other people, but for me, everything I've ever been interested in is thanks to other people getting me into it. Perhaps your daughter is the same way. Hopefully assuming she likes you, you could introduce new things to her. I don't know, I'm sure it's more complex than that.

I didn't know what your last post ment, but um yeah that's never happening. xD