By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Any other options in life?

Save the Planet, please

Around the Network
GoOnKid said:

Self defense, man. You are trying to defend yourself from failure, but you don't need to do that.

So there is this indoor swimming pool in my hometown and it has a tower which you can jump off from three different heights (1m, 3m, 5m). Young me wanted to be as cool as all my friends who already jumped off the 5m spot. As I slowly walked towards the edge I felt my knees shaking in fear. Watching someone jump off it looks so easy, but standing there yourself is a completely different story. My toes touched the edge. I looked down and almost fainted because it looked scary as fuck, like ten times higher. What if I fell in a dumb way and hurt myself? What if the others laughed at me? What if I chicken out and climb back down, will I be a loser forever? My friends became impatient already and asked me to jump the fuck down now. In the end it took me several minutes to jump and I was really scared, but I did it anyway.

What I'm trying to tell is that sometimes you just need to act, even if you're afraid of the consequences. Because only then you will know what you like and what not, and only then you can expand your limits. After I jumped off that damn tower it suddenly lost every bit of scare, and so do many other things in life as well once you tackle them. I know this is not applicable on everything and anything, but on many things. This is in some way similar to what Darthmetallicube tried to express, I think. Just do something and learn from it. And also learn from failure. Everybody - boys and girls alike - is scared as fuck to approach somebody for the first time and just have a normal conversation that may or may not end in a relationship, but they say practice makes perfect for a reason. The more you do something the better you get. And yes, I believe that this is applicable to social skills as well. The more you deal with people the better you understand to behave among them. Nobody gets born as a social idiot. Everybody has the option to improve.

Pessimistic people often share a great fear of failure. It is okay to be a pessimist. I don't think pessimists are instantly bad and optimists are instantly good, but I think that pessimists tend to limit themselves much more than necessary. I see that in your posts as well, but I really don't think you need to do that. You're cool. Stop making excuses and gain some experience, no matter which kind.

Life is an RPG after all.

Yes I have learned from failure, I've learned that I'm loser lol.

I wouldn't say I'm a pessimist, I don't view myself in a bad way just because I want to, but because it makes the most sense to based on facts and evidence. To see anything else would be delusional. You say life is an RPG well let's look at my stats. 0 friends, 0 family to rely on, no money, no job, no place of my own, 0 work ethic, 0 marketable skills, 0 ambition, little know how to survive independently, and so ons. These aren't excuses, they can't just be ignored, other people certainly wont.

The_Liquid_Laser said:

There are resources out there that can help point you in the right direction and give you ideas for a career that suits your personality.  My favorite is "Strengths Finder 2.0".  (You have to buy a book, but it's worth it IMO.)  There are also the Holland Codes which you can look at via a free online test.  Here are some links:

https://www.amazon.com/StrengthsFinder-2-0-Tom-Rath/dp/159562015X

https://www.truity.com/test/holland-code-career-test

Ugh, I've done test like this plenty while I was still in school. I'm just not interested in anything, taking more wont change that.

Chrizum said:
Sounds like you have symptoms of a depression. I'd advise you to talk to your doctor to get you diagnosed. Depression can be succesfully treated in most cases. Can't hurt to talk to someone.

How old are you if you don't mind me asking?

Think I already have been, but it's not due to some chemical inbalance in the brain, it's just my circumstances. I'm 26, ugh. D:

The_Yoda said:

I can't speak to set-up or environment but didn't you take top honors in many a splatfest or at least rank really high?  I'd guess you may have more skill than you are giving yourself credit for.

True but that's just one game I'm no longer as good at.

BraLoD said:

Nope it doesn't need to be priority.

You need some money, but not to let it take control of your life.

You also don't need skills to get a following, you need charisma, you can absolutely suck ass at gaming and make a lot of people still watch you play.

There is one thing people are attracted to, and its passion, if you have passion for gaming you'll be interesting to other people, because you love what they love, so they'll like you.

About all the other options, you might just not realise what you would like to do.

Let's take an example, you have a dolphin avatar so I suppose you like dolphins, do you know there are people out there making a living by taking care of animals such as dolphins and others? People that work in aquariums for example.

There is also work so satisfying to do people do them while not getting even paid. Works that involve dolphins, for example, and they can travel to a lot of places trying to take care of those animals, while funded by some organization.

The thing is, you need to start doing something, anything, and you'll realise just about anything can become a job/money maker.

Getting back to the end of my previous post and start of this one, you don't need to let money be the priority.

You don't need to make 100K a year, you don't need to have a big house filled with stuff, you don't need to have a traditional job where you send resume applications, you can even work in a damn small store, the point is you only need some money to make a living, you don't need to pursue it, and you can be happy living your life doing small profit, seriously, you don't need a lot of money.

You just can't settle doing nothing, because then life will hit hard on you, and you'll realise how easier is to make something here and there instead.

Anyway, you have enough motivation to share it with us and ask trying to find some solution, don't fool yourself, you have motivation, just try to look to things around you a bit easier on yourself, you'll do just fine.

I'll be hoping to hear more on your end.

There are plenty of streamers that have barely an audience who fit that criteria. It's just not that easy anymore when there are so many well established streamers already. Again I don't have the set up for it so no chance anyway.

Oh I know what I like to do, it's just nothing work related. I like dolphins, doesn't mean I want to work with them. I don't like feeling obligated to do something, I don't like working under a boss who's likely corrupt, I don't like disappointing after my laziness and poor work ethic come around. Work in itself is why I don't want to do it in any form.

I'm motivated to post, I'm still not motivated to work as that will take actual effort.

Lonely_Dolphin said:
BraLoD said:

Nope it doesn't need to be priority.

You need some money, but not to let it take control of your life.

You also don't need skills to get a following, you need charisma, you can absolutely suck ass at gaming and make a lot of people still watch you play.

There is one thing people are attracted to, and its passion, if you have passion for gaming you'll be interesting to other people, because you love what they love, so they'll like you.

About all the other options, you might just not realise what you would like to do.

Let's take an example, you have a dolphin avatar so I suppose you like dolphins, do you know there are people out there making a living by taking care of animals such as dolphins and others? People that work in aquariums for example.

There is also work so satisfying to do people do them while not getting even paid. Works that involve dolphins, for example, and they can travel to a lot of places trying to take care of those animals, while funded by some organization.

The thing is, you need to start doing something, anything, and you'll realise just about anything can become a job/money maker.

Getting back to the end of my previous post and start of this one, you don't need to let money be the priority.

You don't need to make 100K a year, you don't need to have a big house filled with stuff, you don't need to have a traditional job where you send resume applications, you can even work in a damn small store, the point is you only need some money to make a living, you don't need to pursue it, and you can be happy living your life doing small profit, seriously, you don't need a lot of money.

You just can't settle doing nothing, because then life will hit hard on you, and you'll realise how easier is to make something here and there instead.

Anyway, you have enough motivation to share it with us and ask trying to find some solution, don't fool yourself, you have motivation, just try to look to things around you a bit easier on yourself, you'll do just fine.

I'll be hoping to hear more on your end.

There are plenty of streamers that have barely an audience who fit that criteria. It's just not that easy anymore when there are so many well established streamers already. Again I don't have the set up for it so no chance anyway.

Oh I know what I like to do, it's just nothing work related. I like dolphins, doesn't mean I want to work with them. I don't like feeling obligated to do something, I don't like working under a boss who's likely corrupt, I don't like disappointing after my laziness and poor work ethic come around. Work in itself is why I don't want to do it in any form.

I'm motivated to post, I'm still not motivated to work as that will take actual effort.

You have decided that you don't want to do anything, you need to change that attitude before you can change your life.

Work can be boring and stressful, but working, making an effort, is also good for the mind, having an occupation is good.

It's not easy to take a step ahead but you need to do it.

You say there are things you like, you can very well think of a way to make money with them.

You are the same age as me, and I know very well how you feel.

Think a bit about how you are feeling, why did you accept to feel like a loser, and how you can change it.

You are not a loser, that's only a state of mind, and you can change it.

Take a small step and accept to change your attitude a bit at a time, and keep doing it.

You are the only one that can change your life, start doing it, it's hard, it really is, but you can do it slowly, even just trying to do it will already make you feel better, even if you fail, if you are failing it's because you are trying, and it'll eventually turn out well.

You know points you can improve on as your work ethics and laziness you mentioned.

You just need to start trying.

BraLoD said:

You have decided that you don't want to do anything, you need to change that attitude before you can change your life.

Work can be boring and stressful, but working, making an effort, is also good for the mind, having an occupation is good.

You say there are things you like, you can very well think of a way to make money with them.

Think a bit about how you are feeling, why did you accept to feel like a loser, and how you can change it.

Take a small step and accept to change your attitude a bit at a time, and keep doing it.

You are the only one that can change your life, start doing it, it's hard, it really is, but you can do it slowly, even just trying to do it will already make you feel better, even if you fail, if you are failing it's because you are trying, and it'll eventually turn out well.

You know points you can improve on as your work ethics and laziness you mentioned.

Like I've said, knowing I need to a do a thing is not enough to get me to do it. You say things will eventually turn out well but you have no proof or evidence of this, whereas I've plenty of reason to believe otherwise. Sorry I'm being difficult, I know you're only trying to help, but I think I'm well past the point where words will do anything for me. There's really nothing that can be said that I haven't already heard or thought of before.

Lonely_Dolphin said:
BraLoD said:

Like I've said, knowing I need to a do a thing is not enough to get me to do it. You say things will eventually turn out well but you have no proof or evidence of this, whereas I've plenty of reason to believe otherwise. Sorry I'm being difficult, I know you're only trying to help, but I think I'm well past the point where words will do anything for me. There's really nothing that can be said that I haven't already heard or thought of before.

Then why did you make this thread?  What is the point?  What is your goal?  

Edit

Oh and the whole "things just turn out because reasons" is BS.  Life requires hard work.  Nothing is free.  If you want something, earn it.  

Around the Network
Chrkeller said:

Then why did you make this thread?  What is the point?  What is your goal?  

Edit

Oh and the whole "things just turn out because reasons" is BS.  Life requires hard work.  Nothing is free.  If you want something, earn it.  

Read the thread title. I wasn't asking for people to convince me to do the one option, I'm asking if there's any others.

m0ney said:
This reminds me, anyone knows how is Dark Lord doing?

Well it has been a while since I logged in.

Checked his profile. Looks like he was permabanned. A little harsh tbh.

There are only 5 options in life

1. Working to support yourself. Whether it is 9-5 job, a brilliant app, or game streaming or whatever else, you still need to work a bit to get that to benefit you.
2, Find a partner willing to support you being a bump at home.
3. Being on welfare (hopefully in a country that provides housing, if not then living on the street).
4. Living in jail / mental institution (same benefits as welfare but no freedom, but no need to worry what you will eat. may get killed or raped in prison though)
5. Death

Work to provide for your family. It gets me to wake up every morning.

Cobretti2 said:
There are only 5 options in life

1. Working to support yourself. Whether it is 9-5 job, a brilliant app, or game streaming or whatever else, you still need to work a bit to get that to benefit you.
2, Find a partner willing to support you being a bump at home.
3. Being on welfare (hopefully in a country that provides housing, if not then living on the street).
4. Living in jail / mental institution (same benefits as welfare but no freedom, but no need to worry what you will eat. may get killed or raped in prison though)
5. Death

Welp, guess death it is!

KLAMarine said:
Work to provide for your family. It gets me to wake up every morning.

Don't have one, obviously.