By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The reason Star Citizen will take forever to make

VAMatt said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Why exactly?

Is this game somehow obligated to achieve certain goals in a period of time?

Seems like a huge achievment that's arguably bigger than needs to be. But I guess thats also the charm of this project.

The devs made certain representations to investors about what they could do and when they could do it.  They stopped short of explicit promises, but they certainly made it seem as though they could do a lot more, a lot faster than they have.  They took money from people based on the investors belief that they were contributing to the development of the thing the devs presented.  But, in reality, the devs have continually moved the goal posts, collected more and more money, and have not delivered anything close to what's been promised on anything close to the indicated timeline.  

There's certainly a fraud argument to be made there.  I don't know for sure that it will be successful.  But, there's been so much money dumped into this hole by so many people that I have to assume some group of them will be pissed enough to look for a legal remedy.  

So basically you're just making an assumption?

I would suspect investors are going into this knowing its risk and giving developers freedom. Even if the project did fall apart the studio would likely just declare bankruptcy.

Personally, I feel its best if there is no legal action if this project never gets completed in some form. That's ultimately the risk of investing. Many companies have lost money funding games that were never completed or just sucked.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:
Pemalite said:

You don't need to rebuild an engine for any of that.
Plus the games engine supports voxel based global illumination, which is pretty good... If DXR/RTX Ray tracing is to be implemented it will likely be used to replace screen space reflections or enhance shadowing.

8K support already exists, people have been downsampling the game from 8k for ages.

HDR support is also in.

Once the next gen consoles are out and ray tracing becomes more standard on PC, Chris Roberts won't be able to resist to overhaul the whole rendering pipeline to get the most advanced lighting. You do need to rebuild the engine for that. He won't settle for his game looking like a last gen game.

He's probably not all that different from Kaz at PD. Too obsessed with the minute details, got to rebuild everything from scratch to get the correct Ferrari red in full HDR for 10K nits tvs that don't exist yet. He needs to redo the character models as well by now. Things are starting to look outdated.

No, you don't need to rebuild an engine for that. - Game engines tend to be fairly modular, it's not uncommon for engine developers to overhaul a singular aspect of a game engine... I.E. Physics whilst leaving the rest of the engine the same... Bethesda does it all the time.

But like I said... Lumberyard, the game engine that StarCitizen operates on already has support for voxel-based global illumination which is a form of Ray Tracing... And it has done so for years now. - Ray Tracing isn't a new thing... And just like everything else you listed, StarCitizen already supports it, it is literally the closest thing to a next-gen game today.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Can the op edit the title? I thought it was Soul Calibur, too!

VAMatt said:
eva01beserk said:

Whats a bigger scam, this or loot boxes?

Star Citizen.  Loot boxes, while objectionable in many ways, are not a scam.  They don't make promises that they subsequently fail to keep, over and over and over again.  

My thoughts exactly. Suckers all around.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

VAMatt said:
eva01beserk said:

Whats a bigger scam, this or loot boxes?

Star Citizen.  Loot boxes, while objectionable in many ways, are not a scam.  They don't make promises that they subsequently fail to keep, over and over and over again.  

Star Citizen promises everything and almost never delivers. Loot boxes promise nothing and almost always deliver.

Around the Network
Pemalite said:
SvennoJ said:

Once the next gen consoles are out and ray tracing becomes more standard on PC, Chris Roberts won't be able to resist to overhaul the whole rendering pipeline to get the most advanced lighting. You do need to rebuild the engine for that. He won't settle for his game looking like a last gen game.

He's probably not all that different from Kaz at PD. Too obsessed with the minute details, got to rebuild everything from scratch to get the correct Ferrari red in full HDR for 10K nits tvs that don't exist yet. He needs to redo the character models as well by now. Things are starting to look outdated.

No, you don't need to rebuild an engine for that. - Game engines tend to be fairly modular, it's not uncommon for engine developers to overhaul a singular aspect of a game engine... I.E. Physics whilst leaving the rest of the engine the same... Bethesda does it all the time.

But like I said... Lumberyard, the game engine that StarCitizen operates on already has support for voxel-based global illumination which is a form of Ray Tracing... And it has done so for years now. - Ray Tracing isn't a new thing... And just like everything else you listed, StarCitizen already supports it, it is literally the closest thing to a next-gen game today.

I'm going to be disappointed then next-gen as every new SC video looks a bit more dated to me :)

Of course you don't need to rebuild the whole engine, just the rendering pipeline... Chris Roberts won't let tech get ahead of his game and voxel-based whatever is not going to be good enough. Hopefully all the textures don't have to be redone for new material shaders.

Am I the only one that opened this thread cause I thought he was talking about Splinter Cell?

SvennoJ said:
Pemalite said:

I'm going to be disappointed then next-gen as every new SC video looks a bit more dated to me :)

Of course you don't need to rebuild the whole engine, just the rendering pipeline... Chris Roberts won't let tech get ahead of his game and voxel-based whatever is not going to be good enough. Hopefully all the textures don't have to be redone for new material shaders.

I am calling it now, SC will release on at least one of the nextgen consoles.

Intrinsic said:

I am calling it now, SC will release on at least one of the nextgen consoles.

And a lot of console players will suddenly praise the game then after talking bad about the game for years. ;)

This game was one I remember hearing about...however long ago it was first announced...and thinking it sounded awesome, but then over time with little to no progress seeming to be made, I forgot about it, only occassionally remembering it when an article or forum topic about it would pop up. I've kind of given up hope in it. That said I don't think the game is a scam, the developers really are trying. It's just another case of an overpromising game going through development hell. Usually that turns out poorly, but not always. No Man's Sky overpromised and massively underdelivered, but then over time eventually became the promised game, more or less. Like an early development game that wasn't marketed as such, or a GaaS game that actually stuck to its roadmap. The Last Guardian took at least, what, 8 years? It became a running joke by the end, that game that everyone mentioned even though we all thought it was cancelled, but then one day it was done, and lo and behold it wasn't half bad. Frustrating AI at times, like all games with partner AI, but pretty good overall, and exactly what a lot of people were looking for, even though it felt a bit like something that belonged on the PS3 like it was originally announced for. I imagine Star Citizen could end up somewhere in between there, eventually reaching a passable point and being rushed out the door, looking not too much better than the beta, feeling a bit dated but still being a pretty good product that the fans of the project love, and then a few years down the line it'll be updated enough that it'll start to feel like the game that was originally promised. It'll never make the splash it could have if it had actually fully delivered on its ambitious original vision in a reasonable amount of time, but it'll still be an alright game in its own right.

ClassicGamingWizzz said:
This is not a game, its a scam.

And why do you think its a Scam..

Iv played the alpha, it exists.