By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - When are you buying the PS5?

When are you picking it up?

Pre-ordering ASAP. 39 23.78%

Launch day, launch week or so. 29 17.68%

Nah, first 12 months or so 19 11.59%

I need to see that sequel... 12 7.32%

Eventualy after some deal 27 16.46%

No clue 38 23.17%

Total:164

Depends on a couple of factors.

1 - Has a generation defining killer app game at launch.
2 - Price.
3 - Defects and whatnot.

And yeah, if the Xbox Scarlett has all three right, might go with that first.

Around the Network
BraLoD said:
Farsala said:
I could easily buy it day 1, but I have a large enough backlog to last me 2 years. So unless I see something mind blowing like FFXVI or some other, I can wait.

FF8R?

That would be fun, but I am not a fan of remasters in general. FF8-2 would also be quite interesting.

KBG29 said:
twintail said:

Is it possible to buy me one too?

It wouldn't be unheard of, although I have been bit by buying consoles for extended family and friends in the past.

On two seperate occasions I have bought a console for someone, just for them to turn around and sell it, or give it to someone else. 

Worst was one of my consins. I went over for a family event, and her parents were like everyone should check out her room, she re-painted it, and decorated it herself. She was around 15 at the time. Not only had I bought her a PS3, but I also gave her my SXRD when I bought my 1st 3D TV. I go in the room and there is a Vizio LCD and a Comcast Box, and nothing else. I was like "oh, you got a new TV". She is like, yeah, I sold the PS3 and TV, that is how I was able to make over my room".

The other time I bought a PS4 for a friend at work, because they wanted to play MLB The Show. They ended up Switching Jobs within the company, and a few weeks later they stopped being on PSN. After a few more weeks, I ran into them as they came back to the site I work at to get some certifications. I was like, "hey, I never see you on PSN anymore". The dude comes back, with, "Yeah, I gave the PS4 to my Girl". 

I'm not against buying stuff for people, even people I don't know, but I am more cautious now than I was when I was younger. If it is within my means though, I love helping people out, and giving more people the oppertuinty to game.

A $500 console is a pretty tall order for someone I only know from a profile on a gaming site. Right now, I would have to say it is unlikley.

Do you help charity?

You seem to make a damn lot of spare money, and don't get me wrong, gifting your family is really cool and I applaud you for sharing with them, but you seem like someone that can direct some of that extra hard earned money to people in dire need of it.

Barring some Xbone reveal type of bullshittery, I’ll buy one a year or so after launch when there’s a nice bundle like I did with PS4.

Farsala said:
BraLoD said:

FF8R?

That would be fun, but I am not a fan of remasters in general. FF8-2 would also be quite interesting.

I'm talking about a full remake like FF7 is getting.

Wouldn't it make you jump out of your chair?

Around the Network

Close to launch, but not launch day. I'm not dealing with long lines, standing around people who are laying face-down in filth on the sidewalk, then a switch is flipped and it's waves of onrushing savages.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

I just got a PS4 Pro in July 2019. So I'm not in a rush. Marvel's Spider-Man 2 will give me a push to pick up the console. If that takes a while, I'll probably wait for a price cut or Black Friday deal.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 144 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million)

PS5: 105 million Xbox Series S/X: 60 million

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

BraLoD said:
Farsala said:

I guess it would depend on how hype the reveal is. FF7R was pretty hype and I will probably get it day 1, but it didn't quite make me jump out of my chair. FF8R, FF8-2, FFX-3 or FFXVI and etc. would all pretty equally get me to buy the PS5, but we all know how slow SE is.

COKTOE said:
Close to launch, but not launch day. I'm not dealing with long lines, standing around people who are laying face-down in filth on the sidewalk, then a switch is flipped and it's waves of onrushing savages.

Are you insane?

That sounds amazing to be part of!

Farsala said:
BraLoD said:

I guess it would depend on how hype the reveal is. FF7R was pretty hype and I will probably get it day 1, but it didn't quite make me jump out of my chair. FF8R, FF8-2, FFX-3 or FFXVI and etc. would all pretty equally get me to buy the PS5, but we all know how slow SE is.

Yeah, would get it done around 2030, lol.