By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Brie Larson teasing possible Star Wars involvement?

COKTOE said:

That's been a thing here on VGC the last few days, and I'm a bit surprised it's continuing. F***, it just happened to you. Being labeled an "SQW", and having parallels drawn between yourself and racists. Jesus tapdancing Christ....Good on you for being so chill.

Is 'SQW' what the internet came up with to be the opposite of an 'SJW'? I suppose it was only a matter a time until something like that happened.

Around the Network
SecondWar said:
COKTOE said:

That's been a thing here on VGC the last few days, and I'm a bit surprised it's continuing. F***, it just happened to you. Being labeled an "SQW", and having parallels drawn between yourself and racists. Jesus tapdancing Christ....Good on you for being so chill.

Is 'SQW' what the internet came up with to be the opposite of an 'SJW'? I suppose it was only a matter a time until something like that happened.

I guess so. Never heard it until today. I checked out and stopped caring about fad terminology after Rainbow Parties. Which would be a great name for a catering service.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

SecondWar said:
COKTOE said:

It is. But it doesn't exactly mean opposite of SJW. On paper it does, but in practice it just means "person who uses the term SJW un-ironically" because to be honest the whole idea that you would invent a term to ridicule people for giving a shit about other people's rights is fucking stupid, so the term SQW is used ironically to show normal people how stupid it is, and to give people who call people SJW's a taste of their own medicine, in hopes they either realize how dumb and meaningless their own term is, or melt their brain trying to understand that.

HylianSwordsman said:
SecondWar said:

It is. But it doesn't exactly mean opposite of SJW. On paper it does, but in practice it just means "person who uses the term SJW un-ironically" because to be honest the whole idea that you would invent a term to ridicule people for giving a shit about other people's rights is fucking stupid, so the term SQW is used ironically to show normal people how stupid it is, and to give people who call people SJW's a taste of their own medicine, in hopes they either realize how dumb and meaningless their own term is, or melt their brain trying to understand that.

Normal people neither know nor care what SQW or SJW stand for or mean, normal people get on with their jobs not giving a shit about it. I for one don't know what the second term stands for and feel if someone said what it meant my eyes would roll into the back of my head.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Ganoncrotch said:
HylianSwordsman said:

Normal people neither know nor care what SQW or SJW stand for or mean, normal people get on with their jobs not giving a shit about it. I for one don't know what the second term stands for and feel if someone said what it meant my eyes would roll into the back of my head.

Status Quo/Social Justice, what does your skull look like Ganon?

Around the Network

HylianSwordsman said:
Lol, status quo warriors saying "I'm not an SQW, I liked these female characters and this movie about a female character!" is the new "I'm not racist, I have black friends!"

It must be convenient in arguments when the opposition can refute your claims, yet you just continue to believe they are that type of person regardless.

HylianSwordsman said:
Ganoncrotch said:

Status Quo/Social Justice, what does your skull look like Ganon?

I didn't know there would be warriors out in support of Status Quo.... I mean they are amazing though to be fair.

As for your question.... Which one? That's right.... it has a skeletal structure.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

thismeintiel said:
SecondWar said:

There seemed to be a portion of fans complaining the Last Jedi had been 'panderings to SJWs' and had too many prominent female characters. Around the release of Captain Marvel, I think Brie Larson was meant to have said something complaining about the all male crew on the movie or something like that.

So her being in Star Wars is likely to pour more fuel on the alt-right fire. 

In reality it's more likely its that Feige gave her a call having worked with her on Captain Marvel. Directors do this all the time (Chris Nolan being a great example).

Lol, alt-right? It's hilarious how they have become the Boogeyman you can blame all of your problems on, now. Or just label anyone you disapprove of. Dislike of TLJ cuts through the complete political spectrum. It also had nothing to do with prominent female roles, but how they treated the male counterparts. Of course, the biggest sin was it's shitty plot and how it ruined Luke's legacy, as well as any good mysteries that TFA set up.

As for Brie Larson, she decided to insult all white men, saying their opinions didn't matter. Especially when it came to films that "weren't meant for them," like A Wrinkle In Time. Of course, it was just a shit adaptation of a novel written by a white woman who definitely would have spoken out against that message if she were still alive.

Thanks for this post. You said exactly what I wanted to, so thanks for sharing me the trouble. 

Jpcc86 said:
Cool. She was fantastic in Room and really funny in Scott Pilgrim. Lets hope the screenplay is any good cause TLJ was a mess and wasted a lot of talent.

100% this.

Also I forgot she was NV Adams in SPvsTW

Status Quo Warrior? Hmm, I don't find that objectionable at all. The status quo is actually really good, better than it has ever been in the history of the world. Equality, for example, has never been as good as it is is now. But more to the point, I think Legacy Warrior would be closer to home. We want to keep and cherish our legacies and create new ones, we simply don't like people messing with the old legacies to the point where they don't even make sense anymore. Create your own legacies for any and every group, do a good job and they too will last decades. But try to distort our old, carefully crafted stories into something they are not, just for the fuck of it, with a preachy and dismissive attitude to boot, and we will be annoyed.
Brie Larson is not a problem because she is a woman, but because she is an obnoxious person. She came into the greatest movie franchise of all time spewing her politics, dissing the fan base, dissing the original team (who also don't seem to like her very much) and someone should have told her that that's really not the best approach to take, if you're trying to win over the fans' hearts and become the new leading face for the MCU. She's actually the polar opposite of Robert Downey Jr. in every way. RDJ had the charisma to pull off Iron Man so well, that on the back of the first film the whole MCU was possible to be built. He is also a fan favorite, and just a genuine and fun guy to be around. Brie Larson, not so much.
According to many sources, Disney seems to have picked up on that, and they seem to be quietly removing her from the spotlight in the Avengers. Maybe this Star Wars thing is the plan B for her, to see if she would work out there? Would make sense.