By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Finally joined the PC Master Race

Ganoncrotch said:
There's talk here above of PC hardware and people gaming on 6770's etc but like.... is there really people who would be using a card like that today?

you could get a card which was 450% the power of a 6770 in the 780TI
https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-Radeon-HD-6770-vs-Nvidia-GTX-780-Ti/m7704vs2165

For the massive cost.... of £85
https://uk.webuy.com/product-detail?id=sgranvigtx780ti3ga&categoryName=pci-express-graphics-cards&superCatName=computing&title=nvidia-geforce-gtx-780-ti-3-gb

That 780TI coupled with a 50e Ryzen3 1200 would make a PC which would challenge the base current gen consoles a decent run for their money in game, if someone wants to get decent power on a budget it's very possible now in the PCscape.

When I say run for money btw... you can easily enough get Overwatch running over 120FPS on that 780TI@1080p which pisses on the PS4 performance in the same title, PC power is not costly now.

Yes, like I said, my old PC has a Radeon 5770 and an Athlon X4 630.

For the price of that old 780Ti, I could just as well upgrade to a brand new RX 560, only about half as powerful as the 780Ti and just about 50% slower in games, but much more efficient and quiet, and it would work with the same drivers (well, more or less, since the 5770 uses legacy drivers by now).

Around the Network

Update.. I finally got my Vive. Yeah!!! I paid $175 and didn't get a brick. 😁. Now.. time to find some killer pcvr game..

Man.. I hate it when your girl has to leave my place to come back to you..

goopy20 said:

I never said you need a 2080TI to run next gen games.

Except...
And I quote you directly:

goopy20 said:
  • Minimum pc requirements in 2021 for all major multiplatform games will be a 2080RTX.

Been multiple occasions in this thread alone where you have stated that a Geforce RTX 2080 will be a minimum.

goopy20 said:

And, of course, I'm only speculating as the specs of the next gen consoles haven't officially been revealed yet. All I'm going on is the rumors that it will be a customized Navi that sits somewhere between a 2070/2080RTX with hardware ray tracing support. So yes, pc gamers with a 2080GTX or 2080Ti will have no problems running anything until the ps6 comes out. 

Again... And I have provided evidence (Don't you read?) that Navi will be custom in the next-gen consoles with hardware ray tracing support, there is no "rumor" to be had when Microsoft has outright stated it.

goopy20 said:

Well, at least you're willing to admit that pc games did take a leap once the ps3/360 got phased out. The only thing I'm saying is that the same thing is very likely to happen with ps5 games a year after release. Meaning, games released after 2021 from the mayor developers will be using the ps5 hardware as the base platform. If this is a 2080RTX comparable gpu with hardware ray tracing support, a 8 core cpu and a SSD  that has “raw bandwidth higher than any SSD available for PCs, you are going to need similar specs as the minimum requirements.

Of course they did, Tessellation, screen spaced ambient occlusion became an expectation very quickly.

As for the 8-core CPU, not all CPU cores will be used for gaming in the consoles.

The Xbox One and Playstation 4 reserve 1-2 CPU cores for the OS and Background tasks, so it wouldn't be entirely unexpected for 1-2 Ryzen cores in the next-gen consoles for background tasks/OS duties and thus next-gen games will not use the entire 8-core setup.

Rest of your stuff is just opinion... And because of such can be ignored/discarded in it's entirety.

As for SSD's... I can bet you $1,000 right now that the PC can have faster SSD's today than the Playstation 5. Guaranteed.... But you know, the PS2 is a super computer, the PS1 laser can guide missiles... Marketing fluff essentially.

goopy20 said:

Will they still run on anything older? Probably, but developers use those minimum requirements to prevent pc gamers from complaining about the game running like ass and blaming them for shoddy porting. If you believe gaming in 2019 on a 6770 is still enjoyable, then good for you. But like Ganoncrotch said, who wants to do that? And yes, there are still plenty of pc games that can run on almost anything and it kinda depends on what type of games you're into. If you just want to play Dota, Minecraft and Fortnite in 2021, you will be fine playing them on whatever. But if you're like me and want to play all of the major next gen titles, a 1060GTX or RX580 will leave you with a lackluster experience compared to the console versions.

You are missing the point entirely.
I contradicted your prior statements and now you are trying to shift the goal post? Just admit you were wrong and be done with... Because your assertions without evidence is getting rather droll at this point.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
goopy20 said:

I never said you need a 2080TI to run next gen games.

Except...
And I quote you directly:

goopy20 said:
  • Minimum pc requirements in 2021 for all major multiplatform games will be a 2080RTX.

Been multiple occasions in this thread alone where you have stated that a Geforce RTX 2080 will be a minimum.

goopy20 said:

And, of course, I'm only speculating as the specs of the next gen consoles haven't officially been revealed yet. All I'm going on is the rumors that it will be a customized Navi that sits somewhere between a 2070/2080RTX with hardware ray tracing support. So yes, pc gamers with a 2080GTX or 2080Ti will have no problems running anything until the ps6 comes out. 

Again... And I have provided evidence (Don't you read?) that Navi will be custom in the next-gen consoles with hardware ray tracing support, there is no "rumor" to be had when Microsoft has outright stated it.

goopy20 said:

Well, at least you're willing to admit that pc games did take a leap once the ps3/360 got phased out. The only thing I'm saying is that the same thing is very likely to happen with ps5 games a year after release. Meaning, games released after 2021 from the mayor developers will be using the ps5 hardware as the base platform. If this is a 2080RTX comparable gpu with hardware ray tracing support, a 8 core cpu and a SSD  that has “raw bandwidth higher than any SSD available for PCs, you are going to need similar specs as the minimum requirements.

Of course they did, Tessellation, screen spaced ambient occlusion became an expectation very quickly.

As for the 8-core CPU, not all CPU cores will be used for gaming in the consoles.

The Xbox One and Playstation 4 reserve 1-2 CPU cores for the OS and Background tasks, so it wouldn't be entirely unexpected for 1-2 Ryzen cores in the next-gen consoles for background tasks/OS duties and thus next-gen games will not use the entire 8-core setup.

Rest of your stuff is just opinion... And because of such can be ignored/discarded in it's entirety.

As for SSD's... I can bet you $1,000 right now that the PC can have faster SSD's today than the Playstation 5. Guaranteed.... But you know, the PS2 is a super computer, the PS1 laser can guide missiles... Marketing fluff essentially.

goopy20 said:

Will they still run on anything older? Probably, but developers use those minimum requirements to prevent pc gamers from complaining about the game running like ass and blaming them for shoddy porting. If you believe gaming in 2019 on a 6770 is still enjoyable, then good for you. But like Ganoncrotch said, who wants to do that? And yes, there are still plenty of pc games that can run on almost anything and it kinda depends on what type of games you're into. If you just want to play Dota, Minecraft and Fortnite in 2021, you will be fine playing them on whatever. But if you're like me and want to play all of the major next gen titles, a 1060GTX or RX580 will leave you with a lackluster experience compared to the console versions.

You are missing the point entirely.
I contradicted your prior statements and now you are trying to shift the goal post? Just admit you were wrong and be done with... Because your assertions without evidence is getting rather droll at this point.

Yes I did say a 2080RTX will be minimal requirements, not a 2080TI. My point is that the minimum requirements will be exactly what will be in these next gen consoles. If you're saying it has officially been confirmed that that will be a 2080RTX, then you've just proven my point and all the things I've been blabbering about are now officially facts.

We will see about the cpu cores and SSD, you're now the one making assumptions as we have no idea what Sony's got cooking. All we know is that they're referring to their SSD as “the key to the next generation.” Allowing the ps5 to stream much larger worlds and basically making loading screens a thing of the past https://www.pcgamesn.com/amd/sony-ps5-ssd-raw-bandwidth

What I do know is that most modern games in 2021 will be designed to take full advantage of it. There were plenty of people who had to upgrade their cpu when the ps4 came out, including myself.

Look, I bought a new pc about 4 months ago. It's a Acer Predator with a 1060 GTX, I5 8400 and 256 SSD and I totally understand that I will need to upgrade it 2 years from now. If you want to keep gaming on your rig and are fine with 720p at the lowest settings, and 5 minute loading screens, then more power to you man!

Last edited by goopy20 - on 27 September 2019

Alright, I'm going to go on point in saying he's just trolling us at this point.

3 of us have presented multiple facts and core evidence to the table, vs just his opinion, while also having all evidence practically table flipped. The discussion has stopped becoming rational and just shows one user has confirmation bias.

Also, guy doesn't even know that next gen systems are signed with AMD, not Nvidia, and AMD has yet to reveal a true high end GPU that goes toe to toe with Nvidia's latest offerings.

One guy using complete rumours and very, very little know how of PC hw vs a guy who practically knows a metric ton of PC hw data, somehow being proven "wrong" is just laughable at this point. It's not a discussion, it's one console gamer who doesn't like to admit he fucked up, and doesn't want to admit that he doesn't have the hottest system on the planet.

PC has it's amazing games, great looking ones, and ones that perform or do much more than other systems can.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Around the Network

@goopy20

I think perhaps you spend too much time in your console gaming "bubble" that you don't quite see the big picture. And I also think there is some confirmation bias occurring. It seems like the point you are trying to make is something that you want to be true, regardless of whether it is or not. Do you agree with that?

In other words, you are a console gamer. You do not like the idea of there existing a gaming platform with better visuals. After all, when a new AAA game comes out on PS4, part of the enjoyment comes in feeling as if you are experiencing visual fidelity that cannot be achieved elsewhere. I am being hyperbolic to try and get my point across.

Console gamers are very much over-represented here on VGChartz, so in your "bubble" you remain.

I am a very skeptical person, but I'm also very open-minded and understanding, and I like to try and understand the mindset of others whose ideas are contrary to my own. This is because at times I question my own opinions, as I have found myself in the same predicament you are in. It's good to be open to accepting new truths.

In your case, you seem to have these beliefs about PC gaming that I see to be false. When a game is released on PC and console, the PC version will usually be capable of better visuals. It makes sense, though, right? With PC, you have options, and a whole range of GPUs performing differently, so there exists settings that allow things like resolution, anti-aliasing, and shadows to be scaled to the hardware. Consoles are much cheaper than PCs, so does this make sense?

You also made mention of needing to upgrade to an 8 core CPU, which I found odd, as the CPU is almost never the bottleneck when it comes to playing games. I have an i5 6600k, and I would imagine it being fine for five or ten more years, although I tend to upgrade much more often than that.

But why is it important to you that console gaming be better?

RaptorChrist said:

@goopy20

I think perhaps you spend too much time in your console gaming "bubble" that you don't quite see the big picture. And I also think there is some confirmation bias occurring. It seems like the point you are trying to make is something that you want to be true, regardless of whether it is or not. Do you agree with that?

In other words, you are a console gamer. You do not like the idea of there existing a gaming platform with better visuals. After all, when a new AAA game comes out on PS4, part of the enjoyment comes in feeling as if you are experiencing visual fidelity that cannot be achieved elsewhere. I am being hyperbolic to try and get my point across.

Console gamers are very much over-represented here on VGChartz, so in your "bubble" you remain.

I am a very skeptical person, but I'm also very open-minded and understanding, and I like to try and understand the mindset of others whose ideas are contrary to my own. This is because at times I question my own opinions, as I have found myself in the same predicament you are in. It's good to be open to accepting new truths.

In your case, you seem to have these beliefs about PC gaming that I see to be false. When a game is released on PC and console, the PC version will usually be capable of better visuals. It makes sense, though, right? With PC, you have options, and a whole range of GPUs performing differently, so there exists settings that allow things like resolution, anti-aliasing, and shadows to be scaled to the hardware. Consoles are much cheaper than PCs, so does this make sense?

You also made mention of needing to upgrade to an 8 core CPU, which I found odd, as the CPU is almost never the bottleneck when it comes to playing games. I have an i5 6600k, and I would imagine it being fine for five or ten more years, although I tend to upgrade much more often than that.

But why is it important to you that console gaming be better?

I think you're completely missing the point here buddy. I am not a console gamer perse and I do own and play on pc as well. I'm also not arguing that pc always going to be capable of having the better graphics. There's always new pc hardware around the corner and it all depends on what you have in your rig. The only thing I said is that the next generation of consoles is going to boost minimum system requirements big time. To be more specific it will change from a measly 660GTX that is required nowadays to a 2070 or 2080GTX. This is not my opinion, it's a scientific fact confirmed by Permelite who says its officially been announced that the next gen consoles will have a AMD Navi gpu (not nvidia), which performance wise, sits somewhere between a 2070 and 2080RTX. 

Of course, 4 years from now a 2080RTX will be old news and half way through the ps5 life cycle, there is going to be far more powerful hardware available for pc. But that doesn't change the fact that next year, many pc gamers will have to upgrade if they want to play the next gen AC, BF and what have you. At least if they want to play all those games in the same quality as the console versions. Somehow I seem to offend people when I say this, but who doesn't want to see games take a graphical leap that require more powerful hardware. Or do we really just want to play ps4 titles in 8k and 120fps?

The only reason I replied to this thread in the first place is because the OP was asking which horror games to recommended that take full advantage of his 1080TI. Nobody could answer him because those games simply don't exist right now. But like I said, those games will come... once the new consoles get released and a 2080RTX becomes the new minimum requirements for most AAA multiplatform games. I think it will be awesome and I can't wait to see what a next gen Resident Evil game will look like. I'm sure the OP feels the same and would also love to see games come out that finally put his hardware to proper use.  

Last edited by goopy20 - on 27 September 2019

goopy20 said:

Yes I did say a 2080RTX will be minimal requirements, not a 2080TI. My point is that the minimum requirements will be exactly what will be in these next gen consoles.

That would be akin to making the statement that because the Radeon 5870 is a minimum requirement for a game, that the Radeon 5850 would be deemed useless, which is far from reality, the 5850 is capable of running all the same games as the 5870.

I mean even the benchmarks shows the difference between the RTX 2080 and RTX 2080Ti not to be generationally different in regards to their overall capabilities.
https://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/2514?vs=2535

goopy20 said:

If you're saying it has officially been confirmed that that will be a 2080RTX, then you've just proven my point and all the things I've been blabbering about are now officially facts.

No. That is not what I am saying at all. The next gen consoles aren't even using nVidia Geforce, thus making your entire argument base tenuous at best.

You have also not stated a single fact, backed up by a single shred of evidence, meaning you don't actually have legitimacy to any of the opinions that you have put forth thus far.

goopy20 said:

We will see about the cpu cores and SSD, you're now the one making assumptions as we have no idea what Sony's got cooking. All we know is that they're referring to their SSD as “the key to the next generation.” Allowing the ps5 to stream much larger worlds and basically making loading screens a thing of the past https://www.pcgamesn.com/amd/sony-ps5-ssd-raw-bandwidth

This just proves you don't have a single understanding of technology, the PC or PC technology in general.

If you think the Playstation 5 is going to have superior SSD performance to that of the PC... Then you are probably the same person who believed the PS2 was a super computer or the PS1 could be used in missile guidance systems.

The fact is, the PC still leads the industry in this regard. Why? Because of a simple Acronym known as "RAID".
Educate yourself about RAID and it's wonders here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID

TLDR, Raid basically allows you to combine multiple storage devices into a single entity, significantly increasing performance and/or redundancy.

And this was done before Ryzen 3000 and thus PCI-E 4.0 came about, theoretically increasing performance even more.

But yes, keep believing in the false idea that the Playstation 5 will have superior SSD performance to the PC...

goopy20 said:

What I do know is that most modern games in 2021 will be designed to take full advantage of it. There were plenty of people who had to upgrade their cpu when the ps4 came out, including myself.

I have a Core 2 Quad+8GB DDR2 Ram+Geforce 1030. - It is 10+ years old at this point and is still able to run most games fine, not 4k, 120fps fine, but 720P is more than doable, not bad for a PC that came out during the early years of the 7th gen.

I also have a Core i7 3930K which came out in 2011, 6 cores, 12 threads, 32GB of Ram, Crossfire Radeon RX 580's and it can run most games at 1440P just fine. Not bad for a PC that predates the 8th generation and will be gaming even into the 9th generation.

I also have a Ryzen 2700u notebook which is a semi-capable 720P gaming device and a Radeon 3700X (Intending to upgrade to the 3950X once it drops) the latter of which will probably be gaming untill the 10th gen.

So you had to upgrade when the PS4 came out? Well. Good for you. - Perhaps you should buy decent components that will last?

goopy20 said:

Look, I bought a new pc about 4 months ago. It's a Acer Predator with a 1060 GTX, I5 8400 and 256 SSD and I totally understand that I will need to upgrade it 2 years from now. If you want to keep gaming on your rig and are fine with 720p at the lowest settings, and 5 minute loading screens, then more power to you man!

Why would you buy a new PC with an old, outdated CPU that only has average performance to start with? Perhaps that is the issue right there, you are buying the incorrect gear.

The Geforce 1060 was nothing to write home about either.

In saying that... An i5 8400 with it's 6 CPU cores is still going to be capable for years to come, if you feel you wish to waste your money and scrap that entire rig in a couple of years... Well. It's your money to waste I guess.

goopy20 said:

To be more specific it will change from a measly 660GTX that is required nowadays to a 2070 or 2080GTX. This is not my opinion, it's a scientific fact confirmed by Permelite who says its officially been announced that the next gen consoles will have a AMD Navi gpu (not nvidia), which performance wise, sits somewhere between a 2070 and 2080RTX. 

1) Not a scientific fact. - Facts are backed by evidence. You have provided none.
2) The name is Pemalite. Not Permelite.
3) We have no idea of how the semi-custom Navi GPU in next gen is going to perform.

goopy20 said:

Somehow I seem to offend people when I say this, but who doesn't want to see games take a graphical leap that require more powerful hardware.

You aren't offending anyone, that's a false illusion on your behalf. You are asserting something as factual without actually having the facts or evidence to present, that is the issue.

goopy20 said:

The only reason I replied to this thread in the first place is because the OP was asking which horror games to recommended that take full advantage of his 1080TI.

They do exist. The PC doesn't top out at 4k, 60fps. Start looking at triple-display and 120fps for the absolute best in gaming immersion outside of VR and a 1080Ti starts to become a limiting component rather quickly.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Bofferbrauer2 said:
Ganoncrotch said:
There's talk here above of PC hardware and people gaming on 6770's etc but like.... is there really people who would be using a card like that today?

you could get a card which was 450% the power of a 6770 in the 780TI
https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-Radeon-HD-6770-vs-Nvidia-GTX-780-Ti/m7704vs2165

For the massive cost.... of £85
https://uk.webuy.com/product-detail?id=sgranvigtx780ti3ga&categoryName=pci-express-graphics-cards&superCatName=computing&title=nvidia-geforce-gtx-780-ti-3-gb

That 780TI coupled with a 50e Ryzen3 1200 would make a PC which would challenge the base current gen consoles a decent run for their money in game, if someone wants to get decent power on a budget it's very possible now in the PCscape.

When I say run for money btw... you can easily enough get Overwatch running over 120FPS on that 780TI@1080p which pisses on the PS4 performance in the same title, PC power is not costly now.

Yes, like I said, my old PC has a Radeon 5770 and an Athlon X4 630.

For the price of that old 780Ti, I could just as well upgrade to a brand new RX 560, only about half as powerful as the 780Ti and just about 50% slower in games, but much more efficient and quiet, and it would work with the same drivers (well, more or less, since the 5770 uses legacy drivers by now).

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-780-Ti-vs-AMD-Radeon-RX-560-B/2165vsm330029

The 780ti isn't 2x this card you're talking about it's 2.5x the power, also you would not get a new 560 anywhere for £85, those cards launched as a mid range thing back in 2017 as such they're actually not as common to keep in stock anymore, the underclocked variant of it is on Amazon from £95 and the standard version of the card is up there starting @ around £115, you would be as well off to get a 780TI and underclock it to half of its default speeds and you would have a card running nearly silent that would still have the potential play better and cost you less. Given these 2 choices you have 2 doors in front of you, one which is more expensive for less performance and the other door is cheaper and has 2 and a half times the performance gains.

Power could be an issues with the 780TI as the MSI TwinFrozr version of it that CEX sent me out last year or the year before does require 2 8 pin power connectors to it, size could be an issue also as I had to take a pliers to my old sleeper build case to make room for the massive card, but... sound? a non issues with a 780TI fitted with a good aftermarket cooler and drivers? Windows update in windows 10 will get you the base driver you need for that card to start up and honestly if you can find your way to VGchartz you can find your way to the NVIDIA download page to get the full driver set for a graphics card.

But... without getting too much further into this I would strongly not advise spending close to €130 on a card rated so poorly in 2019 if you're going for low end cards pay low end prices, some place like CEX also would offer you 24 months warranty on all their stuff so the fact that it's pre owned shouldn't really worry you in the slightest, they also do fairly significant stress testing before buying in hardware... it would be more likely that a 560 which was sitting in a box for the last 2 years is going to have issues than a 780TI which has been in use and lately tested by CEX before going into your machine.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Chazore said:
Alright, I'm going to go on point in saying he's just trolling us at this point.

3 of us have presented multiple facts and core evidence to the table, vs just his opinion, while also having all evidence practically table flipped. The discussion has stopped becoming rational and just shows one user has confirmation bias.

Also, guy doesn't even know that next gen systems are signed with AMD, not Nvidia, and AMD has yet to reveal a true high end GPU that goes toe to toe with Nvidia's latest offerings.

One guy using complete rumours and very, very little know how of PC hw vs a guy who practically knows a metric ton of PC hw data, somehow being proven "wrong" is just laughable at this point. It's not a discussion, it's one console gamer who doesn't like to admit he fucked up, and doesn't want to admit that he doesn't have the hottest system on the planet.

PC has it's amazing games, great looking ones, and ones that perform or do much more than other systems can.

I agree with 99% of this post, the only thing I would say is, don't look at someone who fucks up about PC hardware and drop the label of "console gamer" on the guy, there's tons of people who game on consoles who know a shit load about PC hardware and what it means likewise there is a ton of PC gamers who just don't know about the hardware they should be or are running in their systems or how software can be a massive impacting factor on performance as well as the hardware.

I'm just saying, don't label someone as liking one thing or the other just because they derp about something, from the sounds of it this guy spends money on PC hardware as well as consoles, he just doesn't seem to get what is under the cover of either side of them, the illusion that PC's need to be upgraded every few years or they somehow slow down or thinking that Sony are going to spend more money than the price of a PS4Pro on the SSD solution in the PS5 are signs of not knowing the way hardware works in either PC or Console, I would refer to this person as just a gamer, who ... yeah doesn't get hardware in general.

@goopy20 A game requiring a 2080 as a minimum requirement would have such a tiny potential market to sell into, even during the middle of the next generation of cards, would be a financial disaster, think about it, that's like saying that now that the 2080TI is on the table then a game could launch with the min requirement of a 1080, simply put you are talking about a single digit % of the number of PC gamers who have a 1080/1080TI/2070/2080/2080TI/5700/5700XT which would be the cards you would be limiting that such a game to pretty much. Would be like creating a game for the Switch, which required the user have access to the GC adapter, along with a set of Donkey Konga Bongos to play it. Financial suicide.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive