By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Night in the Woods Dev commits suicide in light of accusations against him.

I think the past few years have taught us we'd best reserve judgement until all cards are on the table or until a legal verdict is made.
As for his suicide, I wish his family and loved ones all the strength they need to shoulder their grief.

Around the Network
CaptainExplosion said:
This is just plain horrible.

Nothing good ever comes of suicide. I still don't understand why something so horrible even exists. -_-

I dunno.  If your life is unbearable, then the pain ends.  That could be considered a good thing.

Suicide is not an admission of guilt. Everyone has a different mental makeup. I have seen Military guys comeback from tours phycologically ruined, other return to a normal life fine. I have seen people commit suicide over financial hardships and I have seen many who just go on even if left on the street. There are different mental issues or underlying illnesses than can flare up during stressful events. Allegations of that kind would mentally screw up anyone even if innocent because your reputation just took an almost irreparable hit and your professional career might be done. We need to stop judging individuals, especially those that can no longer defend themselves.

I happen to notice that the noise about 'rape culture' disappeared when Weinstein and Epstein (actual rape culture) got into the news.

Mr Puggsly said:
JRPGfan said:

"accusations were made against the guy and he committed suicide within 24 hours of it, the action suggests guilt"

No it doesnt.

Firstly they where a couple liveing together.
He admited to locking her in a bathroom.

She accussed him of rape, something he has never admitted too.

Hes innocent until proven guilty.
However social media doesnt work that way..... everyone mobbed him. 
He lost his job, and his reputation was ruined.

This was a man suffering from severe depression.
His ONLY reason for liveing, was makeing games..... she took that from him with her accusation.

Imo she should be charged with manslaughter.
She even says, it was years and years ago, and she has "forgiven him" and doesnt plan to press charges.
Yet she didnt consider how damning her words would be? give me a break.

If you dont have curage enough to file a police report, you shouldnt be accuseing people of rape.
Esp not ones that are already suicidal, and have mental depressions.

Manslaughter? I dunno about that.

But if you forgive someone, then you gotta shut the fuck up. "I forgive you, but now I'm gonna destroy you."

I think the real problem is the industry and the internet mob looking for villains. That's what gives all accusations power and doesn't even allow people to repent or whatever.

Yeah, the internet mob is the problem. We have no means whatsoever to ever really obtain the truth. For that we have courts of law, and even them have difficulties to get to the core truth. But an internet mob, an employer, a news outlet has not nearly the same principles that make the finding of the truth in a court more likely. That is why I consider such stuff just as a pure rumor: maybe true, maybe not, maybe something else. I have no means to know better.

And this mean an internet outrage over such accusations shouldn't destroy anyone. If the accusations have substance the person can be judged in court and the courts of law also serve punishment if appropriate. But punishment based on internet uproar is wrong.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network

This is very sad.

Well this sucks, in more than just one way.

shikamaru317 said:

Zoe Quinn is the monster responsible for this. She has a history of making up fake allegations, yet people believe her when she claims that he sexually assaulted her. So her twitter lynch mob gets him fired from his job, and essentially makes it impossible for him to find game design work in the future. Feeling despair at everything being taken from him, a man who already has a history of mental health issues commits suicide. Zoe Quinn deletes her social media accounts, possibly to hide evidence that was in her private message history. And then we have people saying that his suicide proves his guilt, smh. Honestly his family should press charges against Zoe, shame his sister is defending Zoe instead.

I really hate this modern #MeToo lynch mob mentality of guilty until proven innocent. This man should never have been fired unless Zoe pressed charges against him and she won in court. Mere allegations should never be grounds for expulsion because they are far too easy to make up.

If they pressed charges, they would be wasting money.  I'm not going to argue whether they are right from a moral standard to hold her accountable, but by a legal standard, I can assure you they would have no cause of action.

Sad that we'll never know if the allegations were true or not. He took the cowards way out.

Others have come forward about how shitty he used to be, leads me to believe it was probably true. But some of those other people who have come forward also talk about how he'd changed and was a better person. It's fucking sad that the "cancel culture" doesn't give a flying fuck about rehabilitation or people improving. If you do something "wrong" then fuck you, get canceled.

Has Zoe ever even made anything relevant? I often wonder how she even stays in the news.

Lads and lasses could I please ask that you don't have the lashing into each other over people like Zoe Quinn in this thread, she likes to attach her name to controversy and repeating it in any context relating to this is doing her job for her.

Innocent or guilty really the bigger tragedy here is that it was known that he suffered mental health issues and it's a damn shame that help wasn't there for him to avoid doing anything to other people (if he did) and it's a shame that he reacted to the accusation by taking his life.

But please leave the anger out of the thread as much as possible please, a life has been lost and based on his game as a gamer I'm sad because he could create a wonderful world even if his mind prevented him from living in one.

And please again it's been mentioned a few times, but my comment of "the action suggests guilt" is by no means me saying he is guilty, just that if you say "stop thief" into a group of people... If one of them runs it's likely you have unearthed a thief in their reaction to the accusation. It's not in anyway me saying he is guilty just that the action taken by him looks bad for his case.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive