By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - I have 5G internet now

My Steam game download peaked at 13 MB/s last night, na mean.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

Around the Network

The digital revolution can finally start then, I hope.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Congrats.

Any idea how far from the tower (distribution point) you are and how strong is the signal is?
How much does the speed vary? (peak time and weather)
Did your install require an exterior antenna or dish?
What's the highest speed offered?
What's the latency/ping like? (gaming)

A locally and federally funded internet program has led to the largest com co bringing Huawei 5G to certain rural areas with the worst service, and we're one of them luckily. The fiber line is being laid to the tower right now and is supposed to be hooked up and operational in a few months. The cell tower already exists and is about 100ft tall and is about 2.0km away. As far as I know they only offer one package of 25mbps down, 1.0mbps up, 350GB cap, $80 per month. Also requires a dish and install fee of some amount. Curious to know from people who have 5G what's its like in general.

EricHiggin said:

Congrats.

Any idea how far from the tower (distribution point) you are and how strong is the signal is?
How much does the speed vary? (peak time and weather)
Did your install require an exterior antenna or dish?
What's the highest speed offered?
What's the latency/ping like? (gaming)

A locally and federally funded internet program has led to the largest com co bringing Huawei 5G to certain rural areas with the worst service, and we're one of them luckily. The fiber line is being laid to the tower right now and is supposed to be hooked up and operational in a few months. The cell tower already exists and is about 100ft tall and is about 2.0km away. As far as I know they only offer one package of 25mbps down, 1.0mbps up, 350GB cap, $80 per month. Also requires a dish and install fee of some amount. Curious to know from people who have 5G what's its like in general.

I have simply a wi-fi router in my room and I live around 1km from the tower. When I tested the speed it was 25Mbps (3 MB/s) down and 9Mbps (1 MB/s) up, but as I said my game download was much much faster, at 13 MB/s. I was downloading Rocket League and with the old net it took half a day or more, now it took just a few minutes.

I played Rocket League and ping was good.

I pay 17 euro (19 usd) per month and I'm not sure if there is a cap, if there is it must be at least 200 GB I think.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

This scares me a little...

Around the Network

The speed decreases a lot when far from a point. A guy tested it standing in front of a 5G point, got 2Gb/s+ down speed, having the best plan available. After that he just tested behind a wall, and got 400Mb/s download. The waves are very limited by anything that blogs its signal, like walls and trees. You need to be as close as possible to a 5G signal point.

At 1km from a 5G point, you will get almost nothing.

Last edited by CuCabeludo - on 29 August 2019

Feels good when you finally get off those neolithical copper/satellite ISPs.

That's not really great for 5G. That's 104 mbps. 4G LTE can theoretically go to about 150.

A good solid 5G connection can get you 30-100 MBps on steam (Depending on write speed and steam servers) so you must be quite far from a 5G Node or have obstacles in the way.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

ArchangelMadzz said:
That's not really great for 5G. That's 104 mbps. 4G LTE can theoretically go to about 150.

A good solid 5G connection can get you 30+ MBps on steam so you must be quite far from a 5G Node or have obstacles in the way.

If he's just getting off a 1-3mbps rural connection, he's probably very happy with what he's got. I can get gigabit internet here, but there's no reason unless you're running a business or a bunch of servers.

poroporo said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

A good solid 5G connection can get you 30+ MBps on steam so you must be quite far from a 5G Node or have obstacles in the way.

If he's just getting off a 1-3mbps rural connection, he's probably very happy with what he's got. I can get gigabit internet here, but there's no reason unless you're running a business or a bunch of servers.

I get what you're saying. Just saying that those kind of connections (whilst on the top end) have been achievable on 4G LTE for quite a few years. And 5G speeds you expect to see 300-1000 and even higher than that if you're next to a node. 

His speeds show the issue with 5G that unless Nodes are around up the ass in your area you're just not gonna get the speeds that go with the very enhanced cost of 5G connections and hardware. 

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'