By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - I have 5G internet now

Baalzamon said:
haxxiy said:

You envision it being like decent satellite TV, I wonder?

I mean, there's no particular reason any satellite provider should be better considering the inherent signal and noise problems of long distance wireless communication. Or short distance, even, if you like me know the difference of quality between bluetooth mouse and headphone, and their wired counterparts. Seems like you hate your available ISPs so much that you're projecting your hopes into something that isn't real.

My internet now is perfectly fine (I no longer live in a rural area).

But it really isn't some crazy thought. The low orbit satellite internet that companies are rushing for will have massively lower pings (and higher speeds) than current satellite offerings.

Considering the local Telco my parents now have offers a whopping 7mb service (and is in the process of filing bankruptcy; the company that offered wireless conveniently decided he never wanted to upgrade his service after he first released it)...it isn't an "if" the satellite internet will be better...it is just a question of when it becomes available and they (and likely many neighbors) will be instant subscribers 

For many it'll be just the fact that there will be some type of worthy competition. A single ISP won't be able to offer crap speeds and service for high prices. They will at the very least, have to match the speeds, and service quality at the same price. In order for satellite to gain traction, it's going to have to offer much better than what's available to rural area's now. It's also going to have to overcome the negative reaction to satellite internet because it's almost always been crap. At least until more recently, where it's still not great. This will push new satellite internet providers to offer even better, more reliable service all around to get beyond that negative public mindset. It will mean rural area's won't be left as far behind as they are now, and that's a pretty big deal, considering some places are still stuck using dial up or vastly sub par satellite internet.

Low orbit internet satellites will help no doubt, but they probably won't be an answer to equalizing everyone. Cities will for the foreseeable future, maintain a speed, quality, and price advantage, but nowhere near the gap that exists now.

Around the Network
EricHiggin said:

Wireless ISP sales rep stopped by yesterday since we're in the new '5G' coverage zone. Not a lot of new or hopeful info though.

He told me 350GB was likely to remain the cap until next year if not longer, but that there were ongoing internal talks about offering unlimited, but that will definitely cost over $100 per month based on existing services and package pricing so he tells me. I asked about if free downloading throughout the early morning hours would ever be offered and he said no, not from their company ever, which isn't a surprise because they are top dog here in Canuckistan. I then suggested since they have a 100GB base package for $69, and 350GB for $79, that they should offer something like 500GB for another $10 maybe, because many around here won't pay over $100, even for unlimited. He said a higher fixed data cap was quite unlikely. He followed that up by telling me slower speeds aren't happening either due to mandates to increase base speeds to a min of 25mbps. So basically pay overages over $100 per month now, or eventually get unlimited for over $100 per month later. While too many options aren't good, just a couple isn't cutting it here.

He also informed me that it's actually some hybrid 4G LTE tech that's easily upgradeable to 5G in the future when they feel they need faster speeds and the pricing can be more reasonable. He also said this tech was much more capable in terms of penetrating foliage and their actual serviceable coverage is extremely high. He was using his company phone and some app to check signal which fluctuated between 3 and 4 bars on the side of the house facing the direction of the tower. He actually let me take it up the TV antenna tower to check up there, and at second story roof level I already had consistent 5 bars even though there's a ton of tree tops blocking the cell tower. There's another 20 ft of tower above that as well so signal strength likely wouldn't ever be a problem.

Just going to have to wait and see. I'm not all the hopeful though since odds are good most homes around here will be fine with a 350GB cap, so offering a higher data package won't really be necessary, unless it's a much larger problem elsewhere, and they decide to offer a data increase everywhere or unlimited.

EricHiggin said:

The fiber network program that's using Gov money to bring fiber to rural area's in my province, just had a few updates about new fiber coming to our area. Sure enough, it's not coming here. Instead of tapping off the line that's about 1.5km to the west and going through our area and picking up about 60 customers along the way to the town just southeast of us, they are tapping off a line 3km northwest, going about 2km north, 4km east, then 5km south, to get to that town. While that route travels along main roads, the amount of homes along that route wouldn't be any more than the 60 or so it would travel through here, if they went through here instead. It's the same company doing all the construction work as last year, and the same ISP who's providing internet through the lines. The work is scheduled to be completed by the end of this year. At that point, my little area will be completely surrounded by fiber, because why not?

Over the last couple of months, the large ISP that brought 4G LTE wireless internet to the area has been calling or stopping by every couple of weeks trying to get us to sign up. The only thing they've changed, is the 3 month slightly cheaper price they use to get you on board, which has been extended to 6 months. Apparently the message hasn't gotten through that a 350GB cap simply isn't enough.

At least ever since the 4G LTE came to the area, our DSL connection has been getting worse and clearly throttled again. Can't catch a break it seems.

So after 2 years, the big wireless ISP finally decided to offer an unlimited 25mbps top package here recently, and it's $99 per month. Great news, especially since I'm moving soon where I'll be stuck with only 5mbps DSL again. The timing, I mean, common man! Seriously! I now truly understand why people loathe this ISP.

I hope you're not vaccinated then. Cuz one day you'll wake up and the frequency will start controlling you ?