By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Witcher 3 impressions

I know there's the saying "don't knock it 'til you try it", but I almost missed out on this wonderful title because I initially played it on PS4 and only got about five to ten hours in before I stopped playing due to the long load times and inventory management which got laggier the more items you had.

I eventually bought this again on Steam a couple years ago during one of their sales and ended up putting something like 100 hours into it. Witcher 3 is a beast of a game, and one of the very best of it's kind, but for me, I can't find enough enjoyment to keep me playing when the aforementioned issues are a thing. Ultra-modded Witcher 3 on PC is the very best way to go if that's an option for you, but for the Witcher superfans out there, maybe owning the game on every console and playing it in handheld mode is like a dream come true. :P

Around the Network
think-man said:
peachbuggy said:
Maybe there's something wrong with my eyes but to me, the game looks fantastic. Especially considering it's on the Switch.

Probably nothing wrong with your eyes, you just need to compare it side by side with other platforms. For me, it's way too much of a downgrade. And I only play my switch at home, so portability isn't worth the downgrade. 

Oh yeah, undoubtedly it would pale in comparison to other platforms but I only spoke for what I saw and I thought it looked very impressive for a switch game, especially so considering it's supposed to be such a taxing game. Pretty irrelevant to me personally, as I don't own any other platforms but I guess those who do won't be very impressed by the Switch version in that case.

DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!

Oh my god I can't look at this it hurts my eys how can anybody play this it's so ugly.

I rented and beat Witcher 3 on PS4 already, but will be buying this DAY ONE on Switch. I always wanted to play the game again, but never had the time to return to it. Playing it on the go will allow me that time.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

GoOnKid said:

Oh my god I can't look at this it hurts my eys how can anybody play this it's so ugly.

You are letting your signature down!

As for people who herald this as being beautiful and the way it's meant to be played on X1/PS4 I mean... 900p/1080p on those machines at 30fps with struggles in towns/swamp region.

If you have the X1X at least you can play it in either 4k or unlocked frame rate aiming at 60 but at times buckling again under this games stress area's, also the ps4p has 4k checkerboarded with no 60fps mode afaik.

I'm just saying, if you are all about playing a game the way it would be best played... surely anyone saying that in this thread is playing 1080p/60 on a PC at least yeah?

Just in case anyone forgets what that game was like on those systems thinking it was a locked 30fps experience or anywhere near locked

Obviously Switch visuals have taken a hit to make the game as smooth as possible but at the same time for a handheld to deliver Witcher 3 in such a nice way in 2019 I'm going to support that, that system users 25x less power than my Graphics card inside my PC... just the graphics card and it is powering the screen and all the other peripherals as well as the cpu/gpu/memory, expectations in check here what that system is displaying is a great amount of work and care to make sure that the product is as digital foundry says, the full complete Witcher 3 experience on that handheld system.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Around the Network
Bandorr said:
curl-6 said:

Some folks might want to play it in handheld form though.

As someone who only plays docked and has this pre-ordered, I'm fine with how it looks. I've thoroughly enjoyed games that looked worse.

Do you only own a switch? I'm actually quite curious. 

I don't have a PS4, an Xbox One, or a powerful gaming PC if that's what you mean. I own gaming 12 systems, including multiple from each of the "big 3", but Switch is my only current gen one.

HoloDust said:
curl-6 said:

Some folks might want to play it in handheld form though.

As someone who only plays docked and has this pre-ordered, I'm fine with how it looks. I've thoroughly enjoyed games that looked worse.

I'm one of those who don't quite understand playing this type of games in handheld mode, however I do recognize there are people who want that (for whatever reason).

As for docked...as I said, if there is an option to play it somewhere else, do yourself a favour...you will like (or not) the game on its own merits either way, but this version, no matter how much devs have put effort in it, doesn't look very good.

Well, as I said above, I don't own a PS4 or an Xbox One, and I suspect Witcher 3 on my laptop would run worse than on Switch, so this version is just the most convenient for me.

I'm well aware it won't look anywhere near as good as playing the other console versions or on a gaming PC, but I'm a retro gamer who plays older systems regularly so I don't mind sub-HD resolutions or compressed textures.

For all the graphical cutbacks I still really enjoyed games like Doom 2016 and Hellblade on Switch, so as long as the gameplay's as good as it's cracked up to be I see no reason why I wouldn't have a whale of a time with this too.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 20 August 2019

GoOnKid said:

People who love portable?

Baddman said:

I think the game play demo by cdprojekt looks much better than i expected. stange it also looks better than the trailer. Maybe the trailer is an older build?

I think it's just that the trailer focuses more on closeups, while the gameplay shows things viewed from normal gameplay distance, so the textures and stuff aren't shoved right in your face.

curl-6 said:
Bandorr said:

Do you only own a switch? I'm actually quite curious. 

I don't have a PS4, an Xbox One, or a powerful gaming PC if that's what you mean. I own gaming 12 systems, including multiple from each of the "big 3", but Switch is my only current gen one.

HoloDust said:

I'm one of those who don't quite understand playing this type of games in handheld mode, however I do recognize there are people who want that (for whatever reason).

As for docked...as I said, if there is an option to play it somewhere else, do yourself a favour...you will like (or not) the game on its own merits either way, but this version, no matter how much devs have put effort in it, doesn't look very good.

Well, as I said above, I don't own a PS4 or an Xbox One, and I suspect Witcher 3 on my laptop would run worse than on Switch, so this version is just the most convenient for me.

I'm well aware it won't look anywhere near as good as playing the other console versions or on a gaming PC, but I'm a retro gamer who plays older systems regularly so I don't mind sub-HD resolutions or compressed textures.

For all the graphical cutbacks I still really enjoyed games like Doom 2016 and Hellblade on Switch, so as long as the gameplay's as good as it's cracked up to be I see no reason why I wouldn't have a whale of a time with this too.

Well, then it makes sense, I thought you have another platform you could play it on.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy it, it's narrative focused action-RPG (though just barely regarding RPG part), try to go into it without comparing it to any other game (especially if you're unfamiliar with Euro-RPGs), which I often see around here, whether it's ridiculous comparisons with Bloodborne's combat system (TW3 actually has quite good combat, if you don't neglect magical signs) or lauded freedoms of BotW.

HoloDust said:
curl-6 said:

Well, then it makes sense, I thought you have another platform you could play it on.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy it, it's narrative focused action-RPG (though just barely regarding RPG part), try to go into it without comparing it to any other game (especially if you're unfamiliar with Euro-RPGs), which I often see around here, whether it's ridiculous comparisons with Bloodborne's combat system (TW3 actually has quite good combat, if you don't neglect magical signs) or lauded freedoms of BotW.

Thanks. I try not to compare games to others too much, I try to just enjoy them on their own terms. I have played Witcher 2 so I have some idea of what to expect, even if that one wasn't open world.