By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Let's talk Metroid ( New Poll Added: Samus goes to Hollywood? )

Where should Samus' adventures take her next?

Big budget Hollywood Film 5 29.41%

Big budget Animated Film 0 0%

Netflix/Hulu Movie 0 0%

Netflix/Hulu Series 3 17.65%

Netflix/Hulu Animated Movie 0 0%

Netflix/Hulu Animated Series 4 23.53%

YouTube Series, Movie, an... 0 0%

Broadway Play 1 5.88%

Other (Please Specify) 0 0%

No, no, no 4 23.53%

Total:17
Hiku said:
mZuzek said:
Metroid 5 would be a dream come true.

1- Metroid
2- Metroid II
3- Super Metroid

Which one is Metroid 4? Other M?

Metroid Fusion

Around the Network
Hiku said:
mZuzek said:

The one that says "METROID 4" when you boot it up.

I didn't know that, since I haven't played Fusions. And I didn't expect it because I thought they dropped the numerical titles after the second one. (At least I don't remember a Metroid 3 showing in Super Metroid)
Similar to how they went from Zelda II to just Zelda: *Insert subtitle*

if you watch the opening cinematic you'll see that it says "Nintendo presents Metroid 3" and then the Super Metroid Logo appears.

And Metroid Other M doesn't count probably mainly because it isn't a 2d Metroid.  Metroid, Metroid 2, Super Metroid, and Metroid Fusion are all 2D games.

I want Paper games for every Nintendo IP. And I want them in the same universe. The charm. The humor. The dialogue. All of it. Now.

@Hiku...I think using Super before everything was all the rage back then and it just made marketing sense. I actually think using the 3 here was to support the prologue they used as well as to give a shout out to Metroid 2 which many Metroid fans probably didn't know existed at the time. I know I didn't. I was never a Gameboy owner and I had no idea until I saw that intro.

mZuzek said:
Jumpin said:

I played Metroid 1 and 2, enjoyed them both quite a bit. I have yet to play Super Metroid for more than about 30-40 minutes.

I tried to get into Metroid Prime, and I played through a substantial portion of it. While I found the game to be pretty in certain parts, the intrusive switching between scanner and gun ruined the experience. Also, the scanning was overdone: far too often was it repetition or below trivial information. The issue with all the repetitive/useless information was that there was that if you skipped any of it, you could miss important things, many required for progression. Much would halt your progress including the sort of "find the needle in the haystack" to proceed. It was rife with the kind of annoying design that characterized late N64/early PS2 titles.

And this was with the superior Wii version of the game; I found the sluggish/tanky controls on the NGC version of the game to be near unplayable.

My other major complaint of Metroid Prime is the game felt too empty, too desolate. While Super Mario Galaxy also had an isolated feeling to it, throughout could be found pockets of wonder and amazement. SMG was like being a lonely University student wandering around an art gallery and then bumping into a beautiful woman who wants to talk about the art, then go out for drinks after. Moments that were magnified by the fact they were in the desolation of outer space. Metroid Prime was all desolation; it felt too empty. It's funny because Metroid 1 and 2 didn't have any towns or allies of any sort, but they also had the feeling of wonder. In Metroid 2, there was something enjoyable about seeing the new types of Metroids and the next big area. In each game (especially the first), there was the thrill of mastering certain types of obstacle courses. None of this was present in Prime - the platforming was trash. Also, the world of Metroid 1 felt very open; this seems not to be the case of any other Metroid game since. Apart from Super Mario Galaxy, Hollow Knight and Undertale are great examples of the sort of feeling I want from a Metroid game.

In other words, neither of those two are my favourites. One of them is my least favourite Metroid game, the other I have yet to play. In all honesty, Metroid Prime 3 might be my least favourite; I liked the first hour of it even less than MP1 - but again, I didn't play it much.

So, Metroid 1 and 2 are the best, Super and Prime suck. The Metroid series should be taking notes from Super Mario Galaxy and Undertale.

...Wow.

Your taste isn't bad. It's legendary.

I never said either game sucked. I said I hadn't played Super Metroid - I don't really have an opinion on it.
I disliked Metroid Prime (I don't care about its objective quality), and gave the reasons why I didn't enjoy it. Super Mario Galaxy's feeling of isolation with pockets of amazement are what I want from a Metroid game; I got a similar feeling from Undertale and Hollow Knight - and I enjoyed all three games tremendously (and I loved Undertale in spite of hating its battle system...). To be fair, I disliked Metroid Prime 3 more from the short time I played it, but didn't give it enough of a go to really form a solid opinion.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network
super_etecoon said:
Hiku said:

1- Metroid
2- Metroid II
3- Super Metroid

Which one is Metroid 4? Other M?

Metroid Fusion

Interesting, because I believe Other M was 4 and Fusion 5 due to the story.

Edited.

Last edited by Pavolink - on 23 September 2019

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Metroid 5.

I just really want the series to move forward storyline wise, we been stuck there since Fusion. Either follow up from there with the Galactic Federation or the added ending lore to Samus Returns. I just really want a Metroid 5 screen.

Also Other M is just 3.5 if we have to accept it exists, because really on top of it being a bad game for Metroid standards, is also a game that tries to answer a bunch of questions that didn't need answers (on top of the answers being terrible like Adam's death being the most stupid thing in the world) and just recycling a lot of story elements that would be presented in Fusion, can't be arsed to be an original game and then badly execute great moments from Fusion.

I'm definitely most excited for Prime 4 at this point, but Metroid 5 would be interesting too. I'm not sure where they'd take the story at this point, though. Instead of an Other M sequel, I'd personally actually really like a game that retconned Other M out of existence and tied the Prime series into the canon more explicitly. I have a feeling that Prime Trilogy is coming to Switch, and will almost certainly get it. A Super Metroid remake might be interesting, and I kind of imagine it being done by Retro, with environmental design inspired by Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze. Hear me out. I don't mean in that precise art style, but rather a more realistic, sci-fi version to fit the Metroid series' tone. I mostly just think that the environments in Tropical Freeze felt really alive and vibrant, and felt like they added so much depth to a 2D world. Now obviously those levels were linear, while Metroid is much more open, but I'd like to see Retro apply what they learned making the environments in DKC:TF to a more open game with a sci-fi setting. Obviously removing the more cartoonish aspects. Metroid Samus Returns I don't personally want on Switch, but I think it'd be smart of Nintendo to do that just because the game deserves to be seen by more people.

As for the more...creative choices in that poll, I'm not gonna lie, I'd play all of them. The one I definitely would want to see the most is Metroid Maker, because you already see people making Metroidvania levels in Mario Maker and I want a full fledged Metroid Maker game designed just around making Metroid levels. I feel like there's a coherent design philosophy around what makes a good Metroid level that series like Zelda don't have that would make Metroid actually much better suited to be the next series to get a "Maker" game than Zelda, or even Kirby or Donkey Kong. It would have a really unique flavor since it's truly a new sub-genre of platformer compared to Mario, where as Donkey Kong and Kirby are just a harder and easier variation, respectively, on the same gameplay of Mario. Zelda is a little too complex to make a maker of in the same style as Mario Maker and would need to work more like RPG Maker. Metroid on the other hand lends itself nicely to Mario Maker's style of fan creation engine while offering a distinct flavor to the gameplay.

Well judging from our very meager sample size here it looks like Nintendo may have been smarter to greenlight A Metroid Fusion or numerical continuation of the 2D Metroid series than have another go at the Prime universe. Very interesting since much of the same sample size prefers Metroid Prime to the 2D Super Metroid. Perhaps we just need a few more votes to see how this whole thing shakes out. I'm also certain that many, many of us have a lot of fear about what MP4 will look like and play like, and rightly so.

At any rate, keep those votes coming.

So I played some Federation Force again. And I have to say it is indeed a good game, guys. Playing this online with some other people truly is a very good experience and a lot of fun, I can't say this often enough. It just does nothing for the franchise, admittedly, but that's the only major flaw I can see. Anybody else like that game?