By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - does anyone still think that the 360 can win this console war?

I've seen this thread prob twice during the last month... MODS.. PLS LOCK this thread.

Around the Network
Aj_habfan said:
I don't see any reason why the Wii>PS3>360 trend should stop.

Given the difference in weekly sales between the PS3 and 360 is fairly small compared to the total difference in install base it is premature to predict based on that. Microsoft has a very long time to try and make something work to push the 360 back over the PS3 and retain second place. While there is no good reason in sight right now, there is a long way to go before the trend becomes nearly irreversible. It would take nothing short of a miracle to push the PS3 or 360 past the Wii though.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

well that's the point I don't see PS 3 or 360 pushing past the Wii... but I can see the Wii trend slow down dramatically depending on what exactly is going on on the consumer side.... is like parents buying the last cool board game all their friend buy but at some point it ends up in the storage and nobody craves for it anymore... because it's not like the PS 2 were they could use it as a DVD player...

if the HD booms real hard on top of that you could see the Wii trend go down...

I do see Wii winning too but that scenario could be true too and more than some people think IMHO....

that's why when every console will be 3,5 year in that generation at least we'll see the real direction the market is taking...

I think the 360 has already proven itself to be a great console with a lot of fantastic games which should be the measure of a console's success in my opinion.  I mean the game library has come a long way since the Xbox 1 days.  Who could have imagined it would have so many JRPGs?  Did the original Xbox have even one?

As for future games I don't understand why people are putting down the 360's lineup, especially since it has a great list of upcoming games.

Here are just some of the games coming to the console:

Tales of Vesperia
Fable 2
Gears of War 2
Too Human
Banjo Kazooie 3
GTA IV
GTA IV: Episodes 1 and 2
Halo Wars
Halo Chronicles
Resident Evil 5
Ninja Gaiden 2
Soulcalibur IV
Left 4 Dead
Bioshock 2
Mass Effect 2
Saboteur
Silent Hill 5
Brutal Legend
Splinter Cell: Conviction
Fallout 3
Prototype
Mercenaries 2
Alpha Protocol
Cry On
Infinite Undiscovery
Aliens: Colonial Marines
Alan Wake
Saints Row 2
Dark Void
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed
APB
Borderlands
Edge of Twilight
Tom Clancy's Endwar
Ghostbusters: The Video Game
The Last Remnant
And many many other third party games and unannounced exclusives.  Anyways I'm sure anyone who actually buys the system will end up being very happy with their purchase in the long run.

Gnizmo said:

Given the difference in weekly sales between the PS3 and 360 is fairly small compared to the total difference in install base it is premature to predict based on that. Microsoft has a very long time to try and make something work to push the 360 back over the PS3 and retain second place. While there is no good reason in sight right now, there is a long way to go before the trend becomes nearly irreversible. It would take nothing short of a miracle to push the PS3 or 360 past the Wii though.

I completly agree with this.  Over the past 4 weeks, the PS3 has outsold the 360 by an average of 50,000 units.  At that rate, it would take the PS3 2.5 years to catch the 360.  This gives Microsoft a lot of time to try and turn this thing around.  The rate that the PS3 is gaining on the 360 could increase or decrease so PS3 might take shorter of longer to catch the 360, who really knows.

I find it amazing that it is going to be so late in the generation that PS3 will be taking over second place (if it ever does).

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Around the Network

360 hasn't been able to win since it was unable to get a good grasp of the Japan and Europe/Other markets and not able to maintain an outright majority in America. This is why it can't win. No game in the world can save it.

No.

Halo was its last chance in europe and it Phailed.

360 just has America, pardon, North America left to sell its consoles. It doesnt have the variety of games the ps3 has, and it isnt futureproof.

North Americans will end up buying more ps3's which will balance out the North American marketshare. There are lots of people buying ps triples now in my school, and I ask them why. They say:

I dont want to be playing halo and other multiplatform games in the futre.

I agree.

The 360 doesn't have a varied line up? Guess I've been playing the wrong 360.

endimion said:
well that's the point I don't see PS 3 or 360 pushing past the Wii... but I can see the Wii trend slow down dramatically depending on what exactly is going on on the consumer side.... is like parents buying the last cool board game all their friend buy but at some point it ends up in the storage and nobody craves for it anymore... because it's not like the PS 2 were they could use it as a DVD player...

if the HD booms real hard on top of that you could see the Wii trend go down...

I do see Wii winning too but that scenario could be true too and more than some people think IMHO....

that's why when every console will be 3,5 year in that generation at least we'll see the real direction the market is taking...

It would take a lot more than just a HD boom to over throw the Wii. Last Nielson report had the number of people with a Wii and a HDTV to be very close to the number of people with a PS3/360 with a HDTV. There would have to be a boom in people caring about HD graphics in their video games. Currently that seems to be restricted to the hardcore uber geeks that are over represented on internet message boards.

The days where the Wii could be some flash in the pan that dies down quickly are long gone. The longer the trend of high Wii sales last, the less likely it is to ever become an overnight success that is forgotten tomorrow. The sales have proven to be sustained, and have increased over time. There would have to be a dramatic shift in consumer behavior very soon, or an act of god to end the Wii's dominance.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

CaptainPrefrences said:
No.

Halo was its last chance in europe and it Phailed.

360 just has America, pardon, North America left to sell its consoles. It doesnt have the variety of games the ps3 has, and it isnt futureproof.

North Americans will end up buying more ps3's which will balance out the North American marketshare. There are lots of people buying ps triples now in my school, and I ask them why. They say:

I dont want to be playing halo and other multiplatform games in the futre.

I agree.

Careful using that word around here laddy. Ya see, xbots are so convinced that bluray will never take off that they go on spouting about how next year everything will be digital downloads. They'll tell you nothing is future proof but the 360 is with it's built in wifi, hard drive in all SKU's, HiDef movie player...wait what?

Despite having "no games"and a higher pricepoint, the ps3 is still outselling the 360, even with japan in a slump. As far as im concerned the 360 really has played all of its best cards and still cant tackle the ps3. I think if the ps3 gets a 100 dollar price drop or a signifigant pricedrop in Europe this 7 million gap is going to disappear rather quickly, well faster than 2 years like some predict. But whose to say the same affect wont happen if the 360 gets a pricecut.