By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Splatoon 2 has sold nearly as much as God of War PS4 and Horizon Zero Dawn individually

For starters, you're comparing shipped numbers vs sold to consumers numbers. Second, despite launching both in 2017, Horizon numbers are as of Feb 2019 while Splatoon 2 numbers are as of end of June 2019. And God of War launched a complete year later, so....

Another ridiculous notion that i'm tired of hearing everywhere is that every Nintendo game is sold at 60$ for eternity and each Sony game ends at garbage bin price in just a few months. That's not true, period. Like Banaking has said earlier, Sony games can be very cheap with offers on PS Store because is absolute pure profit for Sony. Digital works very different than retail. And you can find cheap Splatoon 2, GOW and HZD in a stores everywhere if you like...

And for last....those PS4 games are still selling too. You're the kind of person when TLOU and Uncharted 4 sales news came could not believe those games sold that much, because how???, "Sony games have not legs!!", and that's because Sony doesn't care to update sales from their games as much as Nintendo, but because they don't do that it doesn't mean they are not selling well too.

Splatoon 2 must be around 8-8'5M sold to consumers which amazing on its own merit and it's going to surpass 10M, but Horizon Zero Dawn can be perfectly around 12M right now, and GOW should be close to that too. Those games keep selling, like Spider-Man and will probably end with more than 15M each. And i'm not entering in the theory that Sony games have way more competion on PS4 than Nintendo games on Switch because i know some people here don't want to accept that at all, but in my opinion it's something really to take into account.

Around the Network
KrspaceT said:
DonFerrari said:
I haven't heard of Splatoon 2 crossing 10M.

I said nearly, not at that point.

Understood. But yes Splatoon have done tremendously well for a new IP, and the sequel is doing good as well.

Chrkeller said:
Not only does Nintendo sell their games for full price with very rare discounting, but from a development perspective I bet Splatoon 2 was far cheaper to make than GoW and/or Horizon. Nintendo has to be making some serious cash. The Switch lineup is less diverse in comparison to the ps4, so it makes sense Switch games have a high attach rate.

And that is the part I prefer Sony to Nintendo. I pay less for the game that costed more. Plus with Sony games selling less than Nintendo they are taking a bigger risk and smaller profit to make the games I love.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Chrkeller said:
Not only does Nintendo sell their games for full price with very rare discounting, but from a development perspective I bet Splatoon 2 was far cheaper to make than GoW and/or Horizon. Nintendo has to be making some serious cash. The Switch lineup is less diverse in comparison to the ps4, so it makes sense Switch games have a high attach rate.

Bare in mind though that cartridges cost more to produce than disks. Which is essentially added revenue to Sony and lost revenue to Nintendo when selling games at $60.

The video posted is laughable. The first mistake is saying that the Switch sold 2.1 million units (immediate disqualification). Comparing shipment data from Wikipedia for Sony (who is known to give shipment data a couple weeks after launch and thats it) to up-to-date numbers from Nintendo, this guy is all over the place.

Its threads like these that making coming to VGchartz, or any forum, harder. KrspaceT, off the bat, is giving lack of context, posting a video full of half truths and misinformation, it take so much energy to try to correct these people/actions/etc on a near daily basis, its not worth it anymore.

Yes, Nintendo first party is still much stronger than PlayStation, especially when revenue is taken into account. Yet the improvement PlayStation has made this generation is remarkable, possibly unrivaled.

I can't be bothered going through every title so let's just look at the highest:

PS3:
Gran Tursimo 5 - 11.95m
Uncharted 3 - 9.3m
The Last of Us - 8.15m
Uncharted 2 - 6.74m
LittleBigPlanet - 5.85m

Top 5 Average: 8.39m

PS4:
Uncharted 4 - 16.25m
Spiderman - 12-14m (Estimate, last confirmed is 9m as of November 25th 2018 just it's first 7 weeks.)
The Last of Us Remastered - 11.78m
God of War - 11m+
Horizon Zero Dawn - 10m+

Top 5 Average: 12.4m

That shows incredible growth, especially with sales not done for these ps4 titles and TLOU 2 on the way.

A first party PlayStation game selling 10m+ was mostly unheard of, yet this generation will end with at least 6.

Around the Network
colafitte said:

Another ridiculous notion that i'm tired of hearing everywhere is that every Nintendo game is sold at 60$ for eternity and each Sony game ends at garbage bin price in just a few months. 

Funny you take those comments as a jab at Sony.  I read them (and agree) as a jab at Nintendo.  Nintendo isn't price friendly.  I wish their games would be discounted more regularly.  

Barkley said:

Yes, Nintendo first party is still much stronger than PlayStation, especially when revenue is taken into account. Yet the improvement PlayStation has made this generation is remarkable, possibly unrivaled.

I can't be bothered going through every title so let's just look at the highest:

PS3:
Gran Tursimo 5 - 11.95m
Uncharted 3 - 9.3m
The Last of Us - 8.15m
Uncharted 2 - 6.74m
LittleBigPlanet - 5.85m

Top 5 Average: 8.39m

PS4:
Uncharted 4 - 16.25m
Spiderman - 12-14m (Estimate, last confirmed is 9m as of November 25th 2018 just it's first 7 weeks.)
The Last of Us Remastered - 11.78m
God of War - 11m+
Horizon Zero Dawn - 10m+

Top 5 Average: 12.4m

That shows incredible growth, especially with sales not done for these ps4 titles and TLOU 2 on the way.

A first party PlayStation game selling 10m+ was mostly unheard of, yet this generation will end with at least 6.

Unfortunatelly VGC numbers are unreliable to do a TOP 10 and TOP 50 comparison for PS4.

But on PS3 we have TOP 10 average 5.83, TOP 50 2.5 and that gives us 1 10M+, 6 5M+ and 38 Million Sellers. It isn't that bad but you can see that Sony focused more and releases less titles but each selling more and having higher score. During PS3 time we had Shu saying that from every 10 games released they would lose money on 6, break even on 2 and only the remaining 2 would really profit and cover for the other loses. They truly had to forsake profit during the whole gen to prepare for this one.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Also, seems less expensive to develop
The profit seems much higher.

So what?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

So is this shipped for Splatoon 2? If that is the case, its not close to Horizon or God of War sales.