By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Splatoon 2 has sold nearly as much as God of War PS4 and Horizon Zero Dawn individually

I get the GoW comparison but Horizon is a new IP. Why not compare it to another new Nintendo IP that debuted on the Switch and looks like it will continue as a series?

Around the Network
chakkra said:
Mandalore76 said:

I'm not sure what it is you are arguing here.  I'm not using the term "garbage bin price" as you stated mind you, just pointing out that Splatoon 2 and other Switch launch year titles are in fact sold new at retail for much higher than Horizon Zero Dawn, God of War, and even Spider-man which is the most recent release of the bunch:

Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild:
Best Buy - $59.99
Target - $49.99
Walmart - $49.94
Gamestop - $59.99
Amazon - $49.94

Splatoon 2:
Best Buy - $59.99
Target - $49.99
Walmart - $49.94
Gamestop - $59.99
Amazon -  $49.94

Super Mario Odyssey:
Best Buy - $59.99
Target - $49.49
Walmart - $49.34
Gamestop - $59.99
Amazon - $41.99

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe:
Best Buy - $59.99
Target - $49.99
Walmart - $49.68
Gamestop - $59.99
Amazon - $49.68

Horizon Zero Dawn:
Best Buy - $19.99
Walmart - $15.40
Gamestop - $19.99
Amazon - $15.40

God of War 4:
Best Buy - $29.99
Target - $29.99
Gamestop - $29.99
Amazon - $27.99

Uncharted 4:
Best Buy - $19.99
Target - $18.49
Gamestop - $29.97

The Last of Us Remastered:
Best Buy - $19.99
Target - $18.29
Walmart - $17.46
Gamestop - $19.99
Amazon - $17.46

Spider-man:
Best Buy - $34.99
Target - $39.99
Gamestop - $39.99
Amazon - $24.99

*All prices are for "New" copies only, and only if the game was available for pick-up from or shipped directly by the retailer listed.

For the life of me I have never been able to understand how Nintendo fans are able to, so proudly, brag about the fact that they buy games at full price years after their release. Like seriously, how can that be seen as a good thing?

And before anyone comes at me with the "quality" rethoric, I bet you cannot objectively name ONE THING that makes Splatoon 2 better than GoW or Spiderman.

And before anyone comes at me with the "It´s because Nintendo games keep selling for years" rethoric, GTA V is still popping up on almost every Top 10 list and you don't see Rockstar charging $60 for it.

There's a reason I pirate all my switch games now and buy my ps4 games, I can get like 4-5 ps4 titles for the price of 1 switch game via the psn. Nintendos sales suck big time, their discounts just push me away. So now I just download all their titles for free xD

chakkra said: 

And before anyone comes at me with the "quality" rethoric, I bet you cannot objectively name ONE THING that makes Splatoon 2 better than GoW or Spiderman.

It’s fun.

Spindel said:
chakkra said: 

It’s fun.

hehehe, that's certainly an interesting argument.. but somehow people never seem to accept it when someone uses it to explain why they like Crackdown 3 or Days gone..

I love Splatoon's success in that it's such a classical rags-to-riches/ugly duckling story.

The unknown new IP on a failed system that most people sneered at and expected to flop, only for it to become a surprise hit and blossom into one of Nintendo's prime franchises.